Sunday, July 28, 2019

Weekly Running Report: July 28, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well! How's summer training where you are? Hot/humid? A break from the heat? Any races or training for one, what race?

This was week 14 (of 20) marathon training for me. A "cutback" week, which was nice after a high mileage week running/hiking wise last week. 

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, did 2+ hours of yard work in excessive heat. Return from vaca, it just had to be done. Sunday was also last day of extended time off, may have indulged in a few beverages. In bed by a decent time and got a decent night's rest. Up just before my alarm. Coffee, work out (core/arms/shoulders), light stretch, and out the door by 6. Heat advisory was in effect over the weekend, storm broke it last night, but humid. Maintained a comfortable pace for a bit. Heat/humidity and inclines. 8:30+ before my worst hill mid way. Knew I wouldn't be maintaining 8:30 today. Tried maintaining 8:45 for a bit, but that too faded. Comfortable, but pushing it earlier and the humidity drained. Hydrated beforehand, but could probably have done better hydrating last night.
Tuesday: 1 mile day. Slept in a few minutes since it's 1 mile day. Decent night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and chest), light stretch, and out the door by 6:15. Worked on breathing beforehand. Usually try to push it on one mile day. Short hill to start, thought I was hitting my pace. My first minute pace alert told otherwise. Was closer to a comfortable pace, but I wasn't comfortable. lol..  Spent the rest of he run working on cadences and breathing. Was a bit tougher than planned to get it to 8.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tuesday, tried to focus a bit more on recovery. My hip has been tight, almost like a charlie horse in my hip. Especially after longer periods of non movement. (sitting too long at work or first thing in the morning). Hydrated, after work did an Epsom salt bath, foam rolled, icy hot applied, and anti-inflammatories. Decent night's rest, wast tired last night, stayed up a bit late and was tired this morning. Coffee, workout (core and arms), stretch and out the door by 6. Temps were much better! Feeling a bit better, slight pain at the start, but went away (for the most part). Was comfortable in the 8:teens for a bit. Inclines. 8:17 before my worst hill/8:23 after. 8:20-8:25 remainder of the way. Pushed a bit here and there, but much more comfortable than recently. Another note... stomach pain the last 1.2 miles. Actually thought about stopping at Wawa. May have affected the last mile as I was being careful. lol.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed night, 2+ hours of yard work. Since I've decided to cut back my T/Thu miles to rest my legs a bit more according to plan, I changed my alarm. Well.. Guess what. My new alarm had Tuesday selected but not Thursday! I woke up naturally, hmm, shouldn't I be up by now? Ha! Missed it by 10 minutes. 5:25. Didn't panic. Grabbed my coffee and got working out (Core plus chest, did planks and weights first. Figured I could do crunches after work). Well.. Got it and "morning routine". done in time to get my run in before work. Stretched my back and hip out a bit. Worked on breathing before taking off. Slight hip pain at first. Got better as I went. One issue, I use the Nike app, seems whenever the app auto updates I don't get pace alerts until I re-select them. Worked on cadences throughout without knowing my pace, was happy with the result.
Friday: 5 miles before work. In bed at a decent time, but up once or twice. once with some weird dreams. Up before my alarm, but waited it out. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders) was a bit slow to start, crunches were rough. Workout and routine done just in time. Out the door right after 6. Slight hip pain, felt better after stretching. Felt it at first at the start up my short steep hill and then settled in. Felt near my comfortable pace. Nope. Way off. Slower than expected. Weather is good, energy ok, slight leg pain but not horrible? Just took a bit longer to get to my desired pace. 8:17 before my worst hill in mi 1.2-1.7. Tried not to push to hard through the hill so I could regroup after. 8:23 after. Happy. Worked on maintaining under 8:30 rest of the way. A bit more exertion early than expected, but happy overall.
Saturday: 8 miles! Now that I'm trying to not do "extra miles", was pretty excited to see this on the schedule! Friday, stuck to the routine, although was tempting to have a "happy hr" or Friday night drink, I stuck to the routine. Carb loaded. Got my gear ready, relaxed with Netflix (Stranger Things season 2! late start, but into it. Will be watching season 3 soon. but i digress..) In bed shortly after 9. Tired, but took a bit to fall asleep. Up a couple times, almost thought I was up for good at 3. A little more rest and up before my alarm (4:50). Coffee, hydrate, routine, stretch my back and hip, still ahead of schedule. Took my time, at the trail before 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Trail is 10.5 (5.25 x2), will be doing an early turn around at some point. Chose to do mid to Byberry Rd first. More wooded area, slight incline, with a hill at the end. Incline isn't as bad as the other side. Since it was 8 mile day, did what I wanted pace wise. Before getting started, there is a street light, it turned as I approached it, before I was ready (gps wise). Felt a little pain as I ran for the light, questioned my plan of pushing a bit today. Got ready and started.  Settled in, pain went away. Pacing 8:15-8:20 to Byberry Rd. Maintained on the way back for a bit. Fueled at 5 mi. Thought about doing this side again before I got to the midway rd/parking lot, to skip a little more incline, but thought that may be cheesy. Continued to my car, hydrated. Off to the gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Only going 1.3 and back, turn around at Lorimer Park. Pacing 8:25-8:30. Felt the inclines but still had some energy to maintain and push a bit on the way back. Goal was 8:30, right on. A few seconds shorter would of been nice, but enjoyed it. Weather was nice as well (index 71/humidity 92)
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the run streak. Run Streak day 1282. After Saturday's run, did 2+ hours of yard work. Finally done pruning bushes (plus other yard work maintenance), 3 days/rounds of 2+ hours, 6 rows of bushes, why do I have 2 rows of bushes that require a ladder? I don't know. lol.. Later Saturday, had a few beverages (before/during/after dinner) . Gave up on my Phillies gm (loss 15-7) and resumed watching Orange is the New Black (slight binge, 7 hr long episodes yesterday afternoon/night). "Slept in" till 7:30. Felt good, but my back hurt from yard work. Took my time getting ready. Coffee, hydrate, foam roll my back. Out the door by 9. 1 mile days, occasionally try to push it. Not expecting much with slight soreness, but was going to give it a whirl. starts with a short steep hill. 1 min alert on pace, continue pushing. 2nd alert, started with a 6! Alright, will continue to push, but expect to fade at least a bit. Nope, maintained sub 7 for most of the way. 1 mi route goes down hill midway with an incline around .6. Expected to lose time on the way back up and slight incline rest of the way. Lost a bit, but not as much as expected. Fasted 1 miler in many months! Don't always predetermine your pace beforehand. You may surprise yourself. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 25 mi / completed 28 mi (goal is to do plan +3(streak days))
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 101 min
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Miscellaneous: 4+ hours of yard work. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  


This was week 14 marathon training, using the below plan.

Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...