Sunday, January 19, 2020

Weekly Running Report: January 19th, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)?


This was week 6 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me! (discount at bottom of post) :)

My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles. Notice I didn't say before work? Vaca day, yay! Last vaca day from last yr, had to carry over due to a system issue on the orig day that it was scheduled. Wasn't bitter about rescheduling either, was a random Monday, no plans besides trail run. So, trail run day, yay! Sunday, up slightly late watching playoff football, a few beverages, but didn't over do it. A decent night's rest. Tried sleeping in, but wide awake by 7:30. Taking my time. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders/chest) and over to my trail by 10. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Scheduled for 6, mid to either side and back to mid is approx 5.5, will have to make up .5 somewhere.. Did the more open, gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Goal: 8:30. Pacing 8:15, felt the incline, but maintained. Having to add .5, I went off into the neighborhood past Rockledge Park, a pretty steep hill. Just as I got to the top of the hill, hit 3 mi to turn around. Still maintaining pace. Back to the trail, continued to maintain pace, maybe even split on the decline back. Felt pretty good overall, and great for a Monday!
Full trail pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, in bed on time, but tossed and turned for a few. Up a couple times overnight and before my alarm, but waited out till the alarm to get up. Slightly groggy, but ready to get started. Coffee, workout (core and chest), and out the door by 6:30. Decided to do a comfortable 7:30 ish. First few minutes, comfortable, doing 7:20 without over exertion. Hill around .6, started to exert a bit more. Expected to fade a bit, but maintained. 
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tuesday, got a decent night's rest, up before my alarm. Coffee, not sluggish (yet), got a good workout in. (core and arms/shoulders, extra sets since I had time). Out the door by 6. Started out ahead of pace, but settled in early. Goal: 8:30-8:34. Pacing 8:10-8:20 as the inclines added up towards my fav hill. 8:20's after. Maintaining just under 8:30 until the last mile. Legs got heavy towards the end. About 500 ft ascent on my neighborhood 7 milers, could maybe avoid a couple hills, but still plenty of inclines that are unavoidable. Blah. I know "hills are good for you", hope they pay off in the long run. Pun intended. ;)
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, in bed on time, but up multiple times. Storm woke me up around 1, tossed and turned, weird dreams, tossed and turned and then up before my alarm. Slightly tired, but not as tired as expected. Coffee, got a good workout in/not sluggish (core and chest), and out the door by 6:30. Pacing: figured on 7:30, but felt decent. Ahead of pace first couple landmarks/pace alerts. Maintained, figured I'd fade a few on the hill at .6, but not bad. Pretty decent overall. Shin didn't hurt much during, but throbbing a bit after. Will be wearing recovery socks to work and be sure to stretch tonight!
Friday: 5 miles before work. A little tired for this one. Sleep issues around 3, tossing and turning. Giving up around 4, grab my coffee and go to start my workout. Work calls at 4:15. Assisted 3rd shift. Got my workout in around work. (core and arms/shoulders) Got my reps in, but felt rushed. Work issue resolved just before 6, out the door a few minutes late. 6:10. Cold out, tights and appropriate layers. Pacing started out better than expected for being tired. Pacing 8:10 before the worst hill and maintained under 8:20 remainder of the way. Strides a bit tight, was wearing calf sleeves and pants, probably didn't need the sleeves since I had the pants. Maybe a bit tired when getting ready? lol..  Overall better than expected. Coffee all day today I'm sure. Will try to cutoff from coffee early enough to get a good night's rest. 
Saturday: 11 miles. Fri, got a decent night's rest. Protein for dinner, got my gear ready, and relaxed after work. In bed on time, woke up early, thought about sleeping in a few minutes but woke up again on time. Coffee, taking my time, and over to my trail around 7. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Well, that was the plan anyway. Pacing goal: Start around 8:20, fade to 8:30, max 8:45. Started out at 8:15. Mid way into this side of the trail, closed for control hunt! 'doh! They have had signs posted for weeks, but for some reason I thought it was tomorrow or Monday. So.. Mid way parking lot to the close barrier, back to trail opening (.2 from mid parking lot) Turned around and did this side again and back. Was hoping it would round to about 6, did not. 5.5 ish as I pass the mid way parking lot. Which is about normal if I could get to Byberry Rd and back. Off to the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Pacing 8:18, slightly ahead of pace. Start to feel the incline, but maintained (always expect to fade in this section). Rockledge Park end, 3.2 ish to go, but the way back is 2.5. Off to the nearby neighborhood for a few minutes. Able to turn around before their massive hill, yay! Back to the trail and back to midway parking lot. Pacing still under 8:20 and felt good.  (Icy pics .3 mi from Rockledge Park end). 
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1457. Saturday after my long run, did some light chores, but nothing over exerting. Snow yesterday, but shoveling wasn't bad. Hydrated well (didn't offset with alcohol!?) and used my TENS gadget on quads, calves, lower back and shoulders. In bed at a decent time, goal to sleep in but up shortly after my normal time, usually try to go for 8+ on Sundays, not today. Coffee and routine, stretch, out the door by 8. Snow melted, walkway clear. Streets appear clear, plowed/salted well. Had my yaktrax out, but didn't use them. Started from the street instead of my door to avoid the other icy sidewalk. Runoff has ice, but road looked fine. Off I go. Next street is uphill, almost all black ice. Spotty, could get some grip. Proceeded with caution. Took a different route than my normal 1 miler, my 1 miler is a huge portion of sidewalk on a busy road, and I know the residents do a mediocre job at shoveling. Did a small portion of another route. A few inclines, not made for speed. First couple alerts ahead of pace, but cautious and inclines, got more comfortable and tried to get a sunrise/cloud pic before a turnaround, (pic didnt do it justice) Almost slid on another turnaround.  If this was a longer run I would have stopped early to grab my yaktrax. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 29 miles scheduled / 32 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 131 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 6 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.

marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I have registered for the full. They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...