Sunday, June 21, 2020

Weekly Running Report: June 21, 2020

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Doing any virtual challenges, how'd they go? Doing any other outdoor activities to keep yourself busy?

I'm still doing the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee (for the foreseeable future), plus the 100k step challenge from the Philadelphia Marathon/Garmin Fitness. Experiencing some over training aches/pains, but getting through it (for now). 

Week 4 of 20 until Chicago Marathon. 

My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles. Sunday, ran a little bit extra for a rest day, but took it easy after, hydrated, stretched. Wasn't ready for the weekend to come to an end, up slightly later than usual (9:30). Up several times overnight, each time thinking it was time to get up, not even close. Up at 4:30, coffee and taking my time. Workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Ankle/shin pain to start, but not as bad once warmed up. Picked up the pace in the middle, but lost it once I got to the hills. Maintained for a bit after the midway hill, but lost it again through the later hills. The weather was great, just a bit tired/overall soreness with the hills. 
Tues: 5 miles before work. Monday: iced my ankle/shin once during the day/once at night, and stretched multiple times. In bed early, good nigh's rest. This morning, stairs hurt a little, but not as much as recent days. Coffee and workout. Stretch my shins and back out, out the door by 6. Have been experiencing pain/discomfort when starting, could still feel it, but not as bad, a lot less wincing! Pace slow to warm up, but feeling better once I get going. Middle miles felt decent, may have still cussed at my midway hill, but not as bad. 8:20 after the midway hill, gradually fading through the additional hills towards the end. Overall soreness in the quads, but not as much in the ankle/shins. Hope the progress continues there. Will be sure to continue treatment/stretching, etc. Weather has been nice the past few days, have been enjoying that! Another day or two and the heat and humidity will be back! 
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, iced ankle/shin, some stretching but could of done more and an ok night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee and workout, stretch and out the door by 6. Felt it a little more than yesterday. Started out a bit slow to warm up. Starting feeling better in the middle. But yet again, tired/overall soreness started fading as the inclines add up before my hills. Close to 8:30 before the hills, faded to 8:38. Could of easily faded a bit more. It was work to maintain and bring it back down a bit. 
Sidenotes: as I was ending my run, my neighbor walking their dog saw me checking my watch and reassured that my time was fine. Tired, it felt good to hear that for sure! 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1.5 hours general yard work. 
Thursday: 7 miles before work. (7? Thu should be a "rest" day?) Wed, iced my ankle/shin, decent night's rest, but could of used more, up a few times but slept until my alarm, and a bit rough getting up. Ankle/shin hurting a bit from the start. Stairs were a challenge at first. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Was thinking of doing a "comfortable" 5. Trying to worry less about pace today and just enjoy it. Humid from the start. First few minutes a bit rough, but got warmed up. Picked up the pace a bit, but wasn't over doing it. 8:30's after my first hill and rolling along. After 4, there's a turn I would need to make to end at 5, decided to keep rolling along for at least 6. Occasionally thought about pushing it a bit to get back to 8:30, but just trying to enjoy at a comfortable pace. Returning in mi 5, I could either come straight back for 6 ish, but did the side streets again to do 7. Overall soreness by the end, but no regrets. The humidity was kicking for a good portion, but a few breaks of refreshing mist or light rain to break it up. 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, iced and stretched. Decent night's rest, mixed with funky dreams. lol.. Up before my alarm but waited it out. Stairs were a bit painful. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Humidity is back and the heat is going back up this weekend. Since I've been in a bit of pain, decided to do a comfortable pace to head into the weekend. Briefly thought about doing extra miles, but that thought was very brief.. lol.. Pain to start, slightly better as it warmed up, but not as better as previous days, still some discomfort. Overall soreness/heavy legs. Pace started in the 8:30's, briefly down to 8:20's, but not for long. 8:40 after my hill, with no desire/energy to push it back down. Maintained 8:45 until the last hill and faded once more. Hopefully saving some energy/strength will help tomorrow's "long" run a little more comfortable. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1.5 hrs of yard work. Noticed a limb the size of a small tree came down between Wed and today, most likely yesterday during some brief rain. Barely missed the power lines! lucked out there! Did not feel like breaking it down today, but plans throughout the weekend, best to get it done now. Don't own a chainsaw, had to use a circular saw and hand saw, and pruner for the small stuff. During all this, banged my good shin. 'doh
Saturday: 15 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, eventually carb loaded. A bit later than usual due to the unexpected yard work. Relaxed for a bit, and in bed a few minutes late (9:30). Up several times, and up before my alarm. My ankle/shin a little uncomfortable going down stars, but a better start than some previous days. Felt yesterday's yard work in my back, knew that was going to happen. Started out taking my time, but up early and remembered that today was the summer solstice, now trying to get there shortly after sunrise. (5:30). A few minutes late (5:40). But figured that shouldn't be an issue. Have to wait for the sun to rise a bit higher above the tree lines. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd first. Ankle/shin uncomfortable at first, but gradually got more manageable. Starting to pass some look out points, no sun yet. ByBerry Rd parking lot (2.5 mi), the sun has risen! Already above the skyline. Pic from the parking lot and across the nearby barn. Heading back continued to look for the sun, could barely see through the trees, timing was off when passing the viewpoints on the way back. Hydrated as I passed my car at 5.5. Continued on to Rockledge Rd. Passed my friends that start slightly later than me (even later since I started earlier than usual). Doing different trails then them today. Bumped into another buddy and ran with for a few, but my pace wasn't budging and they have places to go. Fueled around 1.15 hr mark, hydrated at my car once more and back towards ByBerry Rd for a few, turn around to end at 15 just before the parking lot.  Ankle/shin were manageable. Slightly heavy legs. and a little warm out, but was a good day! Post run: bumped into my friends that I saw earlier, they ventured onto a trail I haven't seen yet. Will be sure to check it out. But may need a hydration vest as I won't be able to time passing my car as often. 

Full pics on Facebook
Miscellaneous cardio: 1 hour of kayaking! Haven't kayaked in many years! Pretty lake, Marsh Creek State Park, near Downingtown, PA (about 45 min away from me), calm waters, and a decent work out. Had a lot fun! 
Full pics on Facebook 
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Saturday, did an ice bath and hydrated well, stretched, but failed to foam roll. Hydration eventually offset by a few beverages. Woke up a little sore, stairs hurt a bit. Coffee, stretch, and out the door by 6:30. Rest day, taking it easy, doing 3 to cap off the week at 50. Slow motion from the start! 98% humidity, through the motions. Planned on doing 8:45 ish, but ended up at 9. Usually prefer to push it for a 5k, but no gas in the tank. Will be sure to take it easy remainder of the day. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles:  50.4 miles
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 7.26 (05/01-current)  
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 159 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 4 of 20 until Chicago, loosely following the below, will adhere a bit closer in a few weeks. 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k". A good challenge for me. The daily/weekly/monthly average is just a bit beyond my training. My peak marathon training weeks barely meet it. Should be a good challenge to keep me ready till fall training. 

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...