Sunday, October 18, 2020

Weekly Running Report: October 18, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well! 

How's training going? Any races (IRL or virtual)?

It's been two weeks since my IRL race, Valley Forge Marathon, check out my review, here! I seem to be getting back to "normal". A little sore here and there, but not bad. Yet. Will be sure to keep an eye on things.

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 10 miles. Day off from work, trail day, yay! Participated a bit in SundayFunday beverages, and stayed up slightly past my bed time. Sleeping in, and felt oh so good! Dark and rainy helped! Up around 7, coffee, got a good workout in. Swear those weights get heavier over the weekend! And over to my trail around 9. Usually do 5-7 on Monday's, but with the day off, figured I'd get a double digit in. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Doing the gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. 
Nobody's here today! (rare even for a Monday). Wind chill 41 and a downpour may do that! I knew the forecast was calling for a full rain day and was looking forward to it. Once you acknowledge you're going to get wet, embrace it, have fun with it! Invigorating! 
Pace was 8:15 ish for a bit, but the soggy shoes, incline and tired legs slowed things down a bit. 8:20's by the mid point. Skipped hydrating as I passed my car. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Trying to hang in the 8:20's, but feeling more fade coming. Legs also got a bit stingy/numb. Worked on breathing, trying to split on the way back from ByBerry, nothing doing. Faded slightly more before the end. Wanted 8:30, slightly tougher than expected, but enjoyed the rain run! 

What's on your rainy day list? 

ziplock bag for phone
old shoes 
backup headphones
protect chafing areas
no glasses 
towels and change of shirt for after
Anything else to add?
Full pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. Monday, was in bed on time, but tossed and turned for hours. Maybe over caffeinated, and wasn't ready for bed. and up at least once overnight. Woke up right at my alarm. Tired! Coffee, workout (slowly, but got my sets in), and out the door by 6. Somewhat brisk and misty, helped somewhat. Pace was slightly better than expected. Was comfortable. 8:10's before my worst hill, faded to about 8:20. Pretty much maintained there, with a slight split before the end. Tired, and a little stiff, but not bad. Was sure to foam roll/stretch before bed!
Wednesday: 5 miles. Tues, in bed early! Tossed/turned a bit, but not as bad as Mon. Slept until my alarm, but much more well rested. Still felt some tightness in my left shin/calf as I went down the stairs. Coffee, 30 min workout, and out the door by 6. Nice and brisk, and no rain! Pacing was pretty comfortable today around 8:10 before my hills/ just below 8:20 after. Thought about doing more at the end, but also have chores to do after work, will be at least a little sore tomorrow, sticking with 5 this week. Could feel my left shin/calve a little bit, but not that bad. Felt it a bit more after my run. Will be sure to monitor to try to make sure it doesn't go full splint on me. This was the good shin over the summer when my right one was acting up. lol.. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1.5 hrs yard work.
Thursday: 7 miles. Usually my streak to 5k day? Well.. trying to make a valiant effort to get rest. In bed on time, maybe even a few min early. but... work call at 1:40 am! on-call for work this week if 3rd shift has any escalation items. Worked with them a few minutes. back to bed.. Tossed/turned, never fell back to sleep :(  Gave up shortly after four. Grabbed my coffee, got a good workout in. 45 min, out the door by 6. Surprisingly energetic (for now), going to try to have a decent run. First couple minutes felt good, but pace alerts a little slower than how I felt. Picked it up a notch and worked on breathing, foot strike, etc. That's more like it. Pace in the 7:40's. Didn't expect to keep it there long, but kept with it. Felt the inclines add up a bit, fading back/forth a few seconds. 7:50 ish before my first major hill midway. usually lose up to 10 seconds here. Lost a few, but still sub 8. 7:55 ish. Couple more hills later, trying to hang. Felt good till the next set of hills, legs definitely felt it, but done under 8. Second best 7 miler! Knew it may be in my top, didn't think it would be that high. My neighborhood hills definitely play a factor, wonder how I could do at my trail. :) Although I rarely do 7 at my trail, usually a bit more. ;)
Friday: 5 miles. Thu, was sure to make an effort to get better rest. In bed early and ready for sleep. Definitely didn't toss/turn as much. Up just before my alarm, but still groggy. Coffee, short workout helped a bit. Stretch and out the door by 6. Could tell early this was going to be a little tougher than yesterday. Took a few minutes to pick my pace up, somewhat comfortable, but slower than yesterday. Tried a few times to pick it up more, not happening. Feeling the inclines early, way before the hills. Pacing 8:20ish before the worst hill midway, just under 8:30 after. Got it back down a few seconds, but the next couple hills put it back up. Hung in there barely through the last hill to maintain at 8:30. Tired, legs heavy and feeling the hills, but done!
Saturday: 12 miles. Friday, broke routine the night before long run day, actually went out to dinner. Carb loaded, did have a couple drinks which I normally wouldn't do on a fri, but did hydrate. In bed on time and got a decent night's rest. Up before my alarm, waited a few before getting up, but still early. Coffee, taking my time, and over to my trail by 6.My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the side more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. 6 am, still pitch dark out. Headlamp time! Pace, settled in the 8 teens. Early into my run, I see a set of eyes to the side! Point my headlamp over a bit more, deer! Slightly further down, several sets of eyes! The first set startled me, but was fine. Don't think there's anything out there besides foxes. Pace went up/down slightly up the incline, but maintained. Slight hill around the dog park at Rockledge. Back to the parking lot, picked up the pace slightly. Hydrated at my car, avg pace 8:12 at 5.5mi. Bumped into a couple of my buddies there, one joining me for a bit. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Comfortable remainder of the way, pace backed off a bit, trying not to stress, lowered the volume on my pace alerts. Great catching up with my buddy. Finished the remainder of my run with them.  
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. "Rest" day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1730. Saturday, full day of running around. Doing local tourism! Cool to check out areas nearby that you don't often get to. Doylestown nearby. Checked out the Mercer Museum, and a narby castle. Topped with stopping by a winery and then a brewery. ;) Hydrated early, could of done slightly better later on, but not bad. An excellent night's rest. Cool outside, haven't turned on the heat yet, comfy in bed! Coffee and taking my time. Doing outdoor chores right after, dont want to get out too early. Perfect excuse to dilly dally! lol.. Out the door around 8:15. Brisk, but sunny! Pace was a little slow to start, tried pushing it a bit. Picked it up. 7:20's, but wasn't really comfortable. 7:30 ish overall. Saw some frost along the way! Checked the weather app after, 37! Sun felt nice though. probably could of started with gloves, but not bad. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 45 minutes yard work. Trying to keep up with the leaves (for now). Ice bath after. May participate in SundayFunday, will be sure to hydrate along the way to be ready for tomorrow!
Weekly Summary:
Miles:  43 miles completed 
Strength Training: Goal 150 minutes, 164 minutes completed. What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Hydration Goal: met 5 days
Foam Roll:  5 days 
Miscellaneous Cardio: 2.25 hrs yard work
Training Plan: Not on a plan at the moment, but use the below:
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

Calendar is clear till next year!

Be sure to check out my Race and Gear discount pages. #BibRavePro ;)

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on BibRave.com! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run! #BibChat Follow me on BibRave Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...