Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Philadelphia Marathon: Flat and fast.. but let's do hills anyway!




Hi Everyone! Happy Wednesday!

So.. Let’s talk about hills.. Did you know that the Philadelphia Marathon Weekend courses are regarded as “flat and fast”?!  (and of course the full marathon is a certified Boston Qualifier, if you are chasing that).

While the course is regarded as “flat and fast” there are a couple noteworthy hills and some inclines. Course elevation map here. 

Despite my fall races being rated as “flat and fast”, I know there are benefits to hill training and am sure to incorporate hills into most of my training. I am constantly chasing monthly hill challenges and my overall elevation gain from the previous year. 

Benefits of hill training:
  • Improvements in VO2 Max, Heart Rate, and Race Performance 
  • Improves strength, muscular endurance and fatigue resistance
  • Improved ability to tolerate increased muscle acidity

Sources: womensrunning.com; training4endurance.co.uk

While I may work in hills often, I will admit it’s definitely a Love/Hate relationship. I actually pass a security camera at the top of one of my toughest hills. Some days I will smile/wave in victory, or a blah wave in misery. Either way, at the end of the day I know that hills serve a purpose, and will pay off in speed and in the long run. Pun intended.
Do you incorporate hills into training? More of a Love or Hate? Lol..
Reminder, as a #phillymarathonambassador, I have a discount code for $15 of the half marathon, full marathon, or any of the challenges, hit me up!
Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...