Sunday, March 11, 2018

Weekly Running Update: March 11, 2018

Happy Sunday Funday all!

Hope everyone is doing well!

This was week 12 of my half marathon training. My spring races kick off in two weeks!

Question: has your race season kicked off yet or about to? What races?

My week in training:

Monday: 5 miles after work. Back from vaca, back to work. Blah. Not a bad day at work though. Hydrated, but could tell I haven't done hills in a few days, could also tell I need to stretch and foam roll. Tight.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. Stretched and foam rolled, felt a bit better than yesterday, but still a bit tight. Will be sure to try to stretch some more. Key word try (to not slack on stretching).
Wednesday: 3.11 miles. early. Impending snow storm ahead. Decided to wake up a few min early to check it out. It wasn't bad yet. It's my normal work from home day, usually run at lunch. Figured I'd be shoveling later in the day, might as well try to get one in before work. The roads weren't too bad yet, mostly slushy. Wore my yaktrax just in case, usually wear extra layers when its raining/snowing. Definitely got warm fast! Shed the hat early. Gloves were on/off throughout. The terrain was manageable. But between hills and yaktrax requiring extra effort, it was a good workout!
Thursday: 3.11 miles after work. It did end up snowing pretty heavy yesterday, but finished up around 5pm. A full day of sun on Thursday. The roads were safe for the most part. Couldn't do my normal route because it's partially sidewalks along a busy road, and there's always a few sidewalks not shoveled. Back and forth each street in my neighborhood with a few repeated on the way back. Plenty of hills. Extra incentive today, happy hour afterwards!
One of my fav wing spots, Mad Mex! Half off wings/beer during happy hour. And occasional featured brewery special after happy hour!
Friday: 5 miles. early. Tossed and turned for a few minutes, up before my alarm, out the door by 6. More of the same route as Thursday. Did try part of the route that has sidewalks. Cussed at the houses that haven't shoveled. Tired, but had to be alert for black ice!
Saturday: Long run day! 10 miles. This was not a fun one. The roads may be clear (for the ost part), but not true for my trail. Pennypack Creek. The snow has been melting a bit each day, but refreezing at night. Could tell as soon as I got to the trail that it would be a Yaktrax run for sure. Started at the mid point of the trail. Did the side with the gradual incline first. About a mile into it, there was a barricade. Went around the barricade, abut 1/4 further, tree down. And another right after that. If I turned around, I would have to make up at least 3 elsewhere. Climbed over and proceeded. To that end and back, passed my car, failed to set water out to hydrate. 'Doh! To the other side of the trail with the hill at the end and back. I also failed to fuel. Think I was too busy watching my footing to think about fueling. On race day, I set reminders to fuel, I should do that on long run day as well. Of the 10 miles, it was probably 70% hard snow/ice. There were some occasional clear areas, but not much. There was also a few spots the ranger left some tire tracks, but not the entire way. Feel safe with the Yaktrax, but they definitely require extra effort. Also may have some new blisters from them, sorry if that's TMI. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 778. I noticed early that one of my toes was bothering me from yesterday's run. Able to get through it though. Had to jump snow at a couple corners, and there was a small bridge that didnt have the sidewalk shoveled. Guess the business on one side and house on the other didn't feel the need to shovel a few more feet. Cussed at them both. ;)

This was week 12 of half marathon training. Using the training program below. 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
Future races registered for:
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here. 
  • 04/07/18 - Hot Chocolate 15k/5k!! (15k) Join me using code “BRHCPHILLY18” to score a BONUS Hot Chocolate branded cap!  
  • https://www.hotchocolate15k.com/philadelphia
    Check out my Hot Chocolate 15k race preview post here! 
  • 04/14/18 - Newport Rhode Races! Half marathon. They have 5k, half, and full marathon options! Use code "BibRave" to save 10% on race entry!
runri.us/newport-race-info/
Check out my race preview post here! 
  • 05/06/18 - Broad Street Run! This is definitely a fav! My 2017 review here. 
Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...