Sunday, July 29, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 6 - Weekly Running Update: July 29, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone doing any races or training for one, which one? How's everyone's running going with summer heat and humidity? Keeping it indoors or training through it? Hope everyone's staying well hydrated! :)

My week in training: 

Monday: 5 miles. Up early before work. Plans right after work, had to get up early to get it in. Hydrated and rested the previous day, but could of used more sleep. Out the door before 6. Walk out the door, humidity punch to the face, 95%! This run was a combo of light soreness from Sat and getting through the humidity. It wasn't pretty, but done.
(my plans after work, Phillies vs Dodgers)
Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. Monday, I went to a Phillies game that ran late, and traffic afterward was a bit crammed, didn't get home 'till 12:30 am, well past my bed time! Needless to say, I did not get up early to run before work. Plenty of coffee and hydration, ready for 5k day after work. My right leg was a bit bothersome. Shin splint and sore calf through most of the run. Found it interesting that my pace wasn't affected much for being a tougher run.
Wednesday: 5 miles after work. My work from home day, lunch run? Nope. Had to go into the office on remote day due to my backup being on vaca. Didn't think I would wake up early for a run before work, I didn't. I miss my remote day, but was looking fwd to getting over to the trail mid week. Got to my trail around 5:15. Park in the middle of my trail. Did the side with the incline and hill at the end and back to the mid point. Sporadic showers throughout the week, was just a mist most of the way, feeling the humidity, hoping for more rain to cool down, rain didnt pick up until the end. My calves and shins were a bit tight to start, but better than Tuesday. Hydrated and stretched afterward.
Thursday: 3.11 miles after work. Stretched last night and this morning (foam roller and lacrosse ball). Tightness in my right calf appears to be loosening up.. For now! lol 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Starting to look like I like Friday morning's as opposed to Friday night a bit more. Gives a few more hours recovery before Saturday's long run. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Goal was to pace around 8:30. On target until the last min that included a steep hill. 'Doh! lol It was another humid morning, but looking at the forecast, possible storms with hail? Good thing I got it done early. Will be hydrating throughout the day and will try to do another round of stretching tonight.
Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, yay! Hydrated and stretched last night. The usual. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work for a few minutes, stretch, and at the trail (Pennypack Creek),by 7:15. A few min later than usual. The parking lot was packed! Felt like a slacker for 7:15! lol..  Parked in the middle of my trail. Did the side with the hill at the end first. Fueled beforehand. Felt pretty decent. But the fog and humidity was there! Drenched early! Paced around 8:15-8:20 till mid point. Stopped at my car to hydrate at 5.5. To the other side that has a gradual incline to the opposite end.. Could feel the humidity set in a bit more. Fueled around mi 7. Paced around 8:25-8:30 to finish it out.  Just as I was hitting the 10 mi mark, saw three deer! Only 1 stuck around long enough for a photo op! lol Shortly after the run ended up doing yard work. After a week of rain, had to do today. Would prefer to do midweek, but would be a jungle by then. lol A bit more work/steps. 26k+ steps for the day.  
Sunday: rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 918. Took my time getting ready. Out the door around 9. Alert for the first minute was a bit slower than preferred. Picked it up a notch. Once in my desired pace, decided to keep pushing it. Probably a bit harder than i should for a "rest" day, but it gets tempting. ;) Got most of my chores done for the week. Will do my best to hydrate, stretch, and take it easy for for the remainder of the day. 
This was week 6 of of marathon training, using the below plan. Still comfortable for a few more weeks. Will be doing half marathon pace till about week 11. 
Scheduled to do: 
Miles: sched 24/ completed 32
Strength Training: sched 60 min/completed 100.
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 10% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...