Sunday, July 22, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 5 - Weekly Running Update: July 22, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone doing any races or training for one? Which ones? Let us know! Seeing a few races in my social media feeds look like a great time, and tempting to sign up for one, but trying to resist. For now... This was week 5 of marathon training for NYC. 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 5 miles. Had a pretty busy weekend going into last Monday. Scheduled Monday off from work. Had some light chores to do later in the day, but nothing to crazy. Woke up at my normal time, but felt I could get a little more sleep. Was able to fall back to sleep! A rarity! Slept until 8:30! I think not having the feeling of having to get a ton done later, allowed my to sleep a bit more. Took my time, coffee, work out, at the trail around 10. Well, one set back to sleeping in.. The heat index! Didn't bother checking the forecast, that probably would of had me up. Index was 98 at the time and only getting worse! Ran at my trail, (Pennypack Creek), started in the middle and did the side with the hill at the end and back. Started out feeling pretty decent, but the definitely faded a bit once the heat set in!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Learned my lesson yesterday, run before the heat sets in. Well, at 6 am it may have been cooler, but was just a bit humid. (90%) Through the motions for this one.
Wednesday: 5 miles. Tuesday night, did not get a good night sleep. Was woken up by 3rd shift a couple times. I was eventually able to fall back to sleep, did not get up early to get a run in. Wed is my work from home day, lunch run it is! Hectic morning, lunch run is always a great destresser! It was warm out, but not as bad as the past few days. Every once in a while there was an actual breeze that felt nice! Run felt good through three, but faded a bit towards the end. Don't really have time for 5 mi, shower, and lunch in one hr, but with the night I had, I don't feel bad eating on the clock.
Thursday: 3.11 miles after work. Out to dinner and a show Wed night. Slept until my alarm for work Thu. Had a quick errand after work. Got out there a bit later than preferred. Weather wasn't much of an issue. Started out a bit slower than preferred, and then going into the worst hill (just before mid point) where I always fade a bit, was able to pick it up afterward.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Trying to catch up on rest, went to bed early, up to get my run in before work! Coffee, work out, stretch and out the door by 6! Temp definitley cooler than my recent runs, the air felt great! Some light soreness, but not as bad as yesterday. Will be sure to hydrate thoughtout the day and get another stretch in tonight!
Saturday: 10 miles, long run day, yay! Hydrated and stretched last night, even though I didnt feel like it. Up a few minutes before my alarm today. Coffee, work, stretch, and at the trail just after 7! Parking lot was almost full already! Love this place! My original plan was to do 8, since I have yard work and other chores to do, was going to stick to the plan. So.. Parked in the middle of the trail. (Pennypack CreekDid the opposite side of trail as Monday, has an incline and hill at the end, and back. Paced around 8:17-8:20. Fueled around the 5 mile mark. Passed my car at the 5.5 mark, hydrated. To the other side of the trail with the steady incline. Was supposed to turn around mid way to do 8, but went with it to the end and back, pacing 8:20-8:25. Stopped the app around 10 and continued to the car 10.5 for the cool down. Plenty of yard work and chores after, blah, but no regrets doing 2 extra. 
Sunday: rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 911. A bit sore to start the day. That darn yard work. (rarely blame the run, always other activities fault, lol) Up at my normal time, took my time getting ready, coffee and stretch. Out the door around 7:45. The first couple min were a bit faster than planned, decided to keep with it. May have pushed sightly harder than I should for rest day, but it was tempting. ;) Will do my best take it easy the remainder of the day. Hydrate, stretch, and watch a double header of Phillies baseball. 
This was week 5 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do: 
Miles: sched 23/ completed 31
Strength Training: sched 60 min/completed 100
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10.20.18 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...