Sunday, July 15, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 4 - Weekly Running Update: July 15, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well! Anyone doing any races or training for one? Which ones?

Going into this past week, I knew my schedule would be a bit off. How do you handle weeks your sched may be affected? More morning runs, night runs, mini runs, or skipped runs then longer runs to make up for it, or skip a run altogether? I had plans this weekend, my training program had me scheduled to do about 23 miles this past week with a long run of 7. Was going to try to get most of my miles in before the weekend, with a trail run of 7 mi on Thursday night.  ;) This is how it went.. 

My week in training:

Monday: 5 miles before work. Previous Saturday was a 25 mile run/hike day. Sunday, I rested, hydrated, and got two stretch/foam roll sessions in. Monday, I woke up early. Got another stretch in and out the door before 6. Still some overall soreness, but a bit better than I expected. Made a point to hydrate all day and get another stretch in at night. I have been placing my foam roller and lacrosse ball by my recliner, forcing me to use it before I start relaxing for the evening.
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Last night, I was a bit tired, and had full intention of going to bed early. And waking up early again! Well rested, stretched, and out the door before 6. I usually do 5k's on Tuesday's, but 5 mi felt good. At work I got up from my desk, and could definitely feel the need for a stretch. Don't think I could foam roll in the office. lol Hydrate and walk around a few minutes stretching a bit here and there.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. My work from home day, usually my lunch run. Well, was up early again, might as well get it in. Worked out and stretched. Out the door by 6. A bit humid out, but today felt better today. Not sure if it's because I've recovered a bit more from Saturday, or if it's the extra stretching I've been doing lately. Faded a bit at the end, but felt good. Today was also streak day 900! Still can't believe it! Early on, I never really set out to go this long, but now I cant even fathom taking a day off. Will probably go as long as I can, god willing.
Thursday: 7 miles after work. Well, I have been enjoying my morning runs recently, but knew if I wanted to do my scheduled Saturday run today, I should do it after work at the trail. Hydrated plenty throughout the day and hoping the heat wouldn't be too much of a factor. It was a non issue. Got to my trail (Pennypack Creekaround 5:15. Park in the middle of the trail. Did the gradual incline side today. Felt much better than I anticipated. Parking lot to end and back is 5.5 ish. Didn't want to do the 1.5 on opposite trail since that involves waiting on a traffic light. Went back on the orig side for .8 ish and back. I wasn't looking fwd to long afternoon run, but was looking fwd to the trail and was happy with my results. Glad I went!
Friday: 5 miles before work. Plans after work, had my alarm set to get my morning run in. Usually I wake up a few minutes before my alarm. Not today, could probably have gotten a bit more sleep. Up, coffee, work out, stretch, morning routine and out the door around 6. Probably not enough rest after last night's run. A bit sluggish/ through the motions. 
Saturday: 5k this morning after a night out on the town. Sweating out those toxins! Family road trip in a few, stayed at my dad's house last night. Lived in this neighborhood for 7 years, never ran it, until today! Weird, but interesting to run a very familiar area that I have never done before!
Sunday: 1+ miles. Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 904. Quick trip to Va to visit family. 1+ miles around their neighborhood. Started out a bit faster than planned. Pulled back, and then the hills set in. A good hill, glad it's not next to my house! lol Was great to see family that I don't see often enough. Definitely ate a bit too much though, will be doing some work next week to make up for that! 
This was week four of marathon training, using the below plan. Will be going half marathon pace for the first few weeks. Started out this week thinking I may not get my long run or my scheduled miles in. Well, scheduled for 23, with a long run of 7, got my "long run" in, and 31 miles. Less fluctuating during the week than normal, but got it done. Hopefully I wont have too many weeks where my 'long" run has to be squeezed in at another time. Will figure something out when that day comes! 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10.20.18 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...