Monday, September 17, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 13 - Weekly Running Update: Sept 16, 2018


Hi Everyone! 


Hope everyone is doing well! How's training going? Anyone to any races recently? Have some bling to show off? Let's see it! 
This was week 13 of marathon training, sorry it's not posted by 09.16.18, was a bit busy yesterday. ;) 


My week in training:  


Monday: 6 miles after work. Up a few min late on Sunday. Tentatively planned on getting up early, but knew I would go to my trail if I slept until my work alarm. Trail day! At my trail shortly after 5. Cool, almost "cold" before starting. Poured all day, but was just a light rain now. It was wonderful! Parked in the middle of the trail. Did the side with a steady incline and back. (5.25 mi). In the middle of that, did an extra quarter by Lorimar park. Afterwards still needed to do .5 ish, turned around for 3 min and back. Paced around 8:25-8:32  to the height of the incline and got it back down on the way back.

Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Somewhat well rested, set my alarm to get a run in before work. Coffee, work out, stretch and out the door by 6. Still enjoying the cool weather. Was foggy, misty, and humid, was still thrilled with the cooler temp. Felt good most of the way, still some tightness in my calf, will be sure to stretch/foam roll and lacrosse ball it!
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Went to bed a few minutes early, woke up early. Coffee, work out, and out the door by 6. Just before I started, realized I didn't stretch last night or this morning, still went out the door. Things to work on.. anyway, was even foggier today, humid, and temps going back up.
Thursday: 3.11 miles after work. Late night Wednesday. Set my alarm for a morning run, but changed my mind in the middle of the night. Tired, worked out before work. Coffee, hydrated. Actually felt pretty decent. 8 through mi 1. Usual fade through hills in mile 2, 8:10-15 through 3.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Goal was to do an easy pace around 8:30. Faded a bit through the hills. Probably pushed a bit harder for an "easy" run than I should have to get it back down. Still some tightness in my calf, and today my shin, will also be using some KT tape in addition to stretching.
Saturday: long day, yay! Next bump in the training program, ruh-roh! I wont say I'm "comfortable" with 14 milers, but with always going through the half plan, I'm not scared of it. Time to do 16! I've only done 16, 18, 20, and 26.2 once, so still a bit intimidated. Did my Fri run early, after work I got my stuff ready for today, carb loaded, took it easy, and went to bed early. Woke up early. Took my time getting ready. Coffee, light breakfast, stretch. At the trail before 7. This was a good thing! Plenty of regulars at my trail. Talked to a few in the parking lot that meet at 7. Talked to someone scheduled to do 20 miles. Told him my desired pace (9:30), am pretty sure he would have gone faster, but he was willing to pace with me. I dictated pace. Went on feel, he reminded me a few times I was going faster than what I said, but we were good. At the last turn around I have a habit of picking up the pace, mi 14 and still had some in the tank and it felt good. Couple aches here and there, but overall, felt great! I'm typically a solo runner, but was good to have someone there, didn't think about pace at all.

My trail Pennypack Creek. (5.25 mi) Parked in the middle (Welsh and Terwood). Did middle to Byberry Rd and back, to the other side  (Rockledge Park) and back, and back to Byberry Rd and back. Hydrated each time passing my car at the mid point. Fueled about every 5mi or so.   
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 967. I may have felt good after my run, but things definitely tightened up later on in the day. I made a point to stretch before bed, but did wake up with some tightness in my lower back. I had plans this morning, alarm set to get the streak day mile in. Stretched, tight to start, but felt ok. 
After my run, head down to support fellow runners doing the Rock 'n Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon. It was my first half marathon and will always hold a special place. When my fall schedule was coming together, it was a tough decision, but decided not to participate. I knew several people doing the race and wanted to at least show my support since I wont be there running with them. It was a great time! Showed my support(and celebrated with them afterward), enjoyed watching elites, everyone else,and taking notes of things to (more to avoid) work on. 
(Post packet pickup meetup with BibRavePro's @iRunOnBeer and @runningdoornbos)
Winners of the race! @des_linden and @ShuraKitata, photo cred, me ;) Didn't mean to, but got a pic of Des with Rocky in the background

My #RWRunStreak group
My hard to read sign, and a post race beer. ;)

This was week 13 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled 34 miles / completed  38.
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled 60 min/completed 85
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 15% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...