Monday, May 6, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 20 - Weekly Running Update: May 5, 2019


Hi Everyone! 


Hope everyone is doing well!


Anyone do any races this past weekend or have one coming up? Which ones, how'd they go? 

I passed up on a favorite race (Broad Street Run) to try something new, Flying Pig Marathon! 

This week was about tapering and recovery before race day.


Not working out this week, per plan. First couple days I was understanding, but as the week progressed, I was itching to work out! 1 week off doesn't lose fitness, but I kinda feel like a slacker! Resisted the temptation. 


Some of my recovery included: 
Drank at least 1.5 gallons of water daily. 
1 Epsom salt bath 
1 sports massage. :)
CEP Compression socks
OOFOS Fibre Lows recovery shoes

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 4.75 miles before work. Scheduled for 40 minute run. Most weeks I would do slightly more to have rounded miles. But it's race week, trying not to do too much extra. Relaxed Sunday and got a good night's rest. Up at my normal time, but not doing morning work outs (per plan). Coffee, hydrate, foam roll and out the door by 6. First few minutes felt good, slightly faster than planned. Settled into the 8:20's with plans on doing hills. Back and forth, decline/incline each block until mid way, then my least fav/fav hill. and back to do it again. Then to my "extreme" hill(short distance/but very steep) a few times. A few short decline/inclines on the way back. Comfortable 8:30 hm pace, felt good. 

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Rest day, one for the streak. Decent night's rest. No morning workout, adjusted my alarm to sleep 10 more minutes. Almost got there! lol.. Coffee, hydrate, foam roll. Out the door by 6:10. Grey out, misty, 50 degrees and slightly humid, but not bad. Pacing: started slightly ahead of pace, but backed off and maintained a comfortable 8 min.

I have a few work from home days, but when I had to wear pants and head into the office was sure to wear my CEP compression socks and OOFOS!
Tuesday was also month end.
April: 132 miles
Ytd: 548 miles
100 mi: 49 straight months
Strava hill challenge: 4 straight months
Runstreak: 1193 straight days
Wednesday: 3.75 miles before work.
Last training day, yay! 30 minute run. I've done enough hills, I hope. Today's plan was to work on cadences, a bit of speed work. I tried to avoid some hills, can only do so much of that. Starts with a short steep side street. A flat street. Decline, inclines. After four blocks,  I usually do a loop that's all hill, skipped that today. and did the same blocks again. 200 ft ascent for skipping hills. lol Working on cadences, felt better than expected, maybe this taper thing is helping? lol.. 
After work today, I got my first sports massage! an xmas present. Some of it felt great, some of it was a good pain. We'll see if that helps with recovery!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's sleep. Up at my normal time. Coffee, stretch, and out the door by 6:10. Comfortable pace. Weather was foggy, misty, and humid! 
Friday: 1 mile before work. Could of used a slightly better night's sleep. Hydrated all day Thu, but offset by an outing after work. Up at my normal time. Coffee, stretch, out the door by 6:10. Another foggy, misty morning. Chilly to start, but humid. brisk air was nice at the start. Comfortable mile this morning.
Saturday: 1 mile. (scheduled for 20-25 minutes). Tomorrow is race day, but today is also travel day. Saving my steps for travel. Anyone else try to walk the bare minimum the day before a race? Hydrated like heck after travel and carbo loaded sat night. 
Sunday:  26.2 miles. Race day! Flying Pig Marathon. 20 weeks have come to their conclusion. Sorry, no race day details. Keeping you in suspense, right? Race day details will be in a separate post! ;)
This was week 20 marathon training, using the below plan.
full marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: 38.7
Strength Training: scheduled 0 minutes/ completed 0 per plan! This was tough. Started to feel like a slacker by mid week. 
Foam roll: 7 days 
Hydration goal met: 7 days


Race Schedule 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...