Sunday, June 23, 2019

Weekly Running Report: June 23, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone is doing well! How is training going? Any recent races or coming up, which ones?

I didn't really rest last week after my "long run day". Hiking on rest day and then went right through the week as scheduled. A bit rough to start, and was just a little humid this week as well. lol... 

My Week in Training: 

Sunday, (after last weeks blog post) went hiking at Ricketts Glen State Park. Trail across the top was easy. Then it got technical! 15+ waterfalls. Misty out, had to be cautious of slippery rocks. Saw a few 40 ft and a 60 ft waterfalls on the way down. Then it's uphill from there! Including a 94 ft waterfall! Quads feeling last Saturday's run and the hills today, but cant complain since I am doing extra miles by choice. Glad we checked it out, beautiful! 20k steps on Sunday "rest day".
More Pics here on Facebook
Monday: 7 miles. Off work today, yay! Sunday after the hike, we stayed in nearby Bloomsburg. Went to Knoebles Theme Park for a few minutes, and then did a couple breweries (follow my beer adventures on untappd ). Actually got a great night's rest though. Coffee and out the door by 6:30. Could of: a. ran on the hotel treadmill, b. ran later after our road trip home, or c. run by my alma mater. Went with alma mater, Bloomsburg University, but the road from the hotel to the campus was less than ideal. Couple miles along a busy road that didn't have a sidewalk, barely a shoulder. Once there, did the hill up to the football stadium. The highest point of the campus. Up around, noticed the stadiums were unlocked. Hmmm.. snuck in for a lap around the track, and then up the bleachers to get a pic of the mountains across. A bit hazy out, the pic didn't do it justice. Down the hill and back to my hotel. Between the hills (600 ft ascent), humidity, lack of leg rest since Sat, and having to pause a couple times for traffic, pace was a bit off, but glad I was able to get my run in by my alma mater, go huskies!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Day off from work on Monday, did indulge in a couple drinks with dinner, and an evening nightcap. Didn't over do it, but could of gotten a better night's rest. Wasn't ready for bed, up a few minutes late. Up before my alarm, but tired. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and out the door by 6. First step outside, humid as heck! Lightly sore, settled in to my place. Drenched early! Pace 8:05 before the worst hill 8:15 after. Tried to bring it down, but just maintained.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Excellent night's rest. Up a few minutes before my alarm,  but groggy at first. Coffee and work out, got the blood going. Hydrate and out the door by 6. So, it may have been humid yesterday, just as bad if not worst today! Drenched early, again. Pacing at 8:20 for a bit, but faded to 8:30 before the worst hills. 8:40 after, and struggling to maintain. Hills and humidity kicking my butt. Will hydrate like heck and be sure to stretch/foam roll as well!
Thursday: 3.1 miles before work. yesterday, hydrated, epsom salt bath, foam roll, excellent night's sleep (besides the flash flood alert and thunderstorms). Up before my alarm. Ruh roh, still storming out. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and a light stretch. Rain cleared up just before go time! Still humid though. Worked on breathing before starting. Legs Still a bit tight before stretching, a bit more loose. Definitely better than yesterday. 8:15 at the worst hill, 8:08 overall. Made a new friend along my cool down, but wasn't as sluggish as they were. ;)
Friday: 5 miles before work. Foam rolled last night. Intentions of getting a good night's sleep, but work issue 11:30-midnight, and took a few minutes to fall back to sleep. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Joints cracking and a little tight on the way down the stairs to get my coffee. Light stretch and workout helped waking up. Stretch the shins before heading out. Out the door by 6. Feeling better than earlier in the week, but don't want to over do it before long run day. Started ahead of pace and backed off. Lost a few seconds through the midway hill per usual and pushed it a bit to bring it back down and maintain. Pretty much done with my hill quota, but still did my last short extreme hill near the end. Humid (95%) but pleased overall. High five!
Saturday: 18 miles. Long run day, yay! Neighborhood hills, boooo! Yesterday, hydrated, carb loaded, got a good night's rest. Forgot to foam roll, 'doh! Up before my alarm. Coffee and hydrate. I'm on call this/next week (two weeks in a row due to vacations), I check my work email. Overnight processing is experiencing a delay! :( I log in and verify and speak to third shift. It's an integral process, that I definitely couldn't disappear for 3+ hours. Plan is to check in hourly, or close to it. Which leaves me to my neighborhood hills for long run day. I don't think have ever gone beyond 7 here. First run, my normal 7 mi route at a comfortable pace. Felt fine. Fueled. Check work for a few minutes. Hydrated, and back out again. Tried to pick up where I left off, that pace only lasted a few minutes. Overall goal to pace 9:09, backed off. The inclines adding up before my longest hill midway. Legs starting to get heavy. Back to the house to check work for a few minutes. Fueled and hydrated. Back out for round 3. Wasn't sure how far I was going to go. Minimum 16, 18-20 if I was up to it. Didn't think I could do the 7 mi route again.  Legs heavy and getting tired 1 mi in, thought about calling it at 16, but hung in for 18. Overall: 18.12mi, 2:45:06, 9:07 with 1100 ft+ ascent. 
I'm currently fueling with Science in Sport isotonic gels! review to follow. use code 'TRYSIS25' for 25% off!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, 1 mile for the streak. Run Streak day 1247. Up at my normal time and overall soreness from yesterday. Rarely try to sleep in, tossed and turned for a bit and got an extra hour or so. Refreshing. Sore going down the stairs. Coffee, hydrate, stretch and taking my time. Foam rolled my back and did some light stretching.Out the door after 10. (pretty late for me!) Worked on breathing before taking off. Didn't expect much speed today for being sore, but able to work on cadences and maintained at 7:30. Was a bit rough, but not as bad as expected. 
This was week 9 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled mi 32 / completed 43 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 108 min
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...