Sunday, October 20, 2019

Weekly Running Report: October 20, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? 


How do you reschedule a long run day when you have weekend plans? I had plans this weekend, but didn't want to miss my 20 miler. Used a vacation day to get it in! 


 This was week 15 of 20 of marathon training for the Philadelphia Marathon. 


My Week in Training:


Monday: 7 miles before work. Will be honest, after last Monday, I was not looking forward to today's 7 miler. Sunday, did an ice bath, hydrated, foam rolled. Did have a few Sunday Funday beverages while watching football, but made sure not to over do it. In bed early. Up multiple times, but a decent night's rest. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6. First mile, was comfortable at 8, but knew I would fade. 8:15-8:20 until my toughest hill. Maintained under 8:30 after. Noticed my calves were sore early. 'Doh, forgot my calf compression sleeves on the clothes line. Not that I'm convinced they help. lol  Was comfortable today, did feel it towards the end, but not as bad as last week. Saturday's long run was short, and I emphasized rest and recovery yesterday, and maybe a few less beers. lol..

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, did an ice bath. Went to bed early, maybe a few minutes too early, tossed and turned for a bit, but a good night's rest. Coffee, getting ready to work out, windows are open, a little brisk! Workout (core and chest), foam roll, and out the door by 6:15. Feeling decent, decided to try pacing at 7:30. First alert on target, next alert slowed down, picked it up to get it below 7:30, and kept on going. Now aiming for 7:15, but the last incline got me. Brisk out, wind chill 45! Air felt great. Run was a bit rough at the end, but fun!
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Tues, did a Epsom bath. Up a few minutes late, 10 pm! But a decent night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), foam roll my back out, and out the door by 6:05. First mile felt good. Comfortable 7:45, usually settle in but felt good and went with it. Worst hill in mi 1-2, pacing 7:58 after. That hill usually determines the remainder of my run. Continued at 7:58 until the last mile. 1 hill, 1 incline, and a rolling hill to get through. Rough maintaining that last mile, faded to 8:03, but was fun overall.
Thursday: 20 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Wait, on a Thursday? Yes, doing a little road trip this weekend, took a vaca day to ensure I would have time to get my run in. Wed, out to dinner, did have two beers, which I normally wouldnt before long run day. In bed early, alarm set for 5:15, probably could of slept a bit longer. Glad I didn't have more beer, a bit parched this morning, but not bad. Coffee, foam roll, and at my trail around 7. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Temp high 40's, but very windy. Long sleeves, started with a hat/gloves, ditched them early. From the mid parking lot, did the more open/slight incline side to Rockledge Park and back. 5.25 mi pacing 9:04, hydrated at my car. Bumped into a trail regular, (much faster than me(they are trying to BQ in Philly)) did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Picked up the pace, didn't notice a few were in the 8:30's. 8 mi at Byberry Rd, I let my friend go and pulled back a bit. Also, I forgot to fuel at 5-6 mi (since I was distracted meeting up with a friend right when I would be fueling), fueled at 8. 10.5 mi, hydrated at my car. Started going towards Rockledge, bumped into another friend. Turned around and head back to Byberry Rd (again). Pacing more comfortable, 9:10 ish. They dropped off before Byberry, solo rest of the way. Had some lower back pain and legs getting heavy after mi 15. Passed my car at 16.7, knew the last three were going to be a struggle. Head towards Rockledge Park, turning around shortly after Lorimar (1.5 to go). Count down was on! Tried picking it up, but not much doing. Side note: The trail was full of debris today, tons of acorns, some hard small baseball sized fruit, and a few limbs. The acorns stabbed a few times, stubbed my toe at least once on the fruit, and almost tripped on branch, but that last mile, there was a ranger on a golf cart with an industrial leaf blower clearing things. Very nice of them, wish they were out sooner, lol.
Friday: 3.11 miles. Off from work today, but have plans in a bit. Set my alarm, but was getting some good rest and disabled it. Up around 6:30. Overall soreness from yesterday. Still did my Friday workout. (Core and arms/shoulders). Would usually do 1 mi day after long run day, but wanted to get a couple more in if possible. My 5k route does pass my street after 2 if I wanted out, but was manageable.
Friday afternoon: new scenery for a few days! Mystic, Ct. A little weekend getaway. Visited the Mystic Seaport Museum, checked out the quaint Town of Mystic and some great views of the river and perfect timing for fall foliage. 
Saturday: 4 miles. Our hotel was just off the highway (I95). On the main road (route 27) to Mystic. Had to cross the road, and maybe 1 light. Perfect route from then on. Two miles took me along the main road, passing the seaport, a couple neighborhood blocks and turned around just before the drawbridge to the Town of Mystic. Weather was a bit chilly, wind chill 37. I packed my hat/gloves, but forgot to set them out. Did my run around 7:15. The path around the river and town seems to go a good distance.  Great town to run in, but only saw a few people out there. We were back in town around 10, plenty of runners out there!
Pics: A few minutes before I was done. Public view point next to a couple private ones (next to sea view snack bar). Welcome sign a few minutes off of 95 on 27. And the entrance to Elm Grove Cemetery that overlooks the river..
Saturday afternoon: Bluff Point State Park nature preserve and peninsula. 3.6 mi loop trail. I wasn't informed of the trail, just knew we were checking out a scenic park. Could of done my run there. Lol. As we got there, a 5k walk was just rapping up. The trail was pretty smooth, some rock and roots to be aware of. Through the woods to a beach and more through the woods around to the rail head. We only did a portion, maybe .75 trough the woods till you see the beach, walked along the beach till it curved around to get some sun. We also stopped next door at Poquonnock Bridge Boardwalk. A mile long pier along the water and back. A few extra unexpected steps, 22k. Not a high day, just more than I expected.
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day . Only doing one mile today, could of done a couple laps around the hotel grounds, or gone out on the street for a few minutes, but wanted to enjoy the scenery one last time. Drove back to Elm Grove Cemetery. It's just as you enter Mystic, before the seaport or town, and has a great view of the river. I'm sure there's tons of great history as well. Flat/smooth gravel, zig-zagged the path and then along the river and back to the entrance. Started out with a decent pace, but was also distracted by the scenery.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled  miles 36 / completed 40 miles
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 101 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 15 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...