Sunday, November 10, 2019

Weekly Running Report: November 10th, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? 


This was week 18 of 20 of marathon training for me for the the Philadelphia Marathon. 


My Week in Training: 

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, was still sore from Saturday's long run and yard work. Made a point to relax, but did have a few beverages while watching football. Up a few minutes late, decent night's rest, up before my alarm. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Out the door by 6. Brisk today, wind chill 36. long sleeves, hat and gloves. Legs were heavy from the start. Pace was better than expected. Goal 8:30. 8:20 before/8:32 after my midway hill. Felt like my pace was going to continue fading, but maintained. At 5.4 mi, pace 8:27, added my extreme hill. Suffering either way, might as well. Heavy legs, and rough, but hung in there.

Miscellaneous: 30 minutes yard work.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:15. Not as brisk as yesterday, glad I checked the weather, almost 50! Still brought the gloves along just in case. Wasn't expecting much speed today, but was going to give it a whirl. Goal 7:15-7:30. Worked on cadences before taking off. First alert was sub 7, wouldn't say I was comfortable, but felt I could push some more. Pushing it, and have a decline to help, got a couple alerts in the 6:20's. After the decline, have to go up hill, faded a bit to the 6:40's to level out. Was a bit rough, but fun!
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Working on trying to get rest, but have been having issues going to bed early. Almost 9:45 last night. Coffee, opened the door for some brisk air, workout (core and arms/shoulders), foam roll/stretch my back out, and out the door by 6. Brisk (40's), but didn't require long sleeves. Started with hat/gloves. May have been a bit fast yesterday, not the case today. Goal 8:15-8:30. Settled in at 8:10, but had a feeling I would fade and not regain after the hills. 8:15 and hanging for a bit. Not comfortable. A little sore, glutes, quads, and new pain - shins! Faded to 8:20, not comfortable, but hanging in, and added an extreme hill at the end. Will definitely being wearing recovery socks, and stretching my shins the next few days! I tend to only stretch them when I start to feel them. Could probably do better there?
Miscellaneous: 30 minutes yard work.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's rest, but I do try to sleep a few extra minutes on 1 mile day, nope, I'm up! Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch, and out the door by 6:15. Left shin still hurt a bit, was going to go for 8 min mi. Tight, but moving along. Once I got going, today was more about enjoying the sunrise. Head towards it, along it, away from it. But could tell the best view points would be across the highway. Beautiful, glad I was out there to enjoy, sky was dreary rest of the day.
Fri: 5 miles before work. Thu, in bed at a decent time. Up early (4am) for a few minutes, couldn't fall back to sleep. Coffee, taking my getting started. Work out (core and arms/shoulders) and out the door by 6. Checked the forecast, 27 and flurries! Long sleeve, hat/gloves to start. Goal 8:15-8:30. Feeling energetic, hopeful it may be better than goal.  First few minutes went well, but as the inclines added up, legs got heavier than expected. 8:20's before my worst hill, 8:30 after. Maintaining, but not as comfortable as preferred. Got it down a few and then added my fav hill near the end. There are days I tell my hills I hate them and cuss, but have been telling them that I own them lately. Even on the harder days. Legs felt more like a Monday than a Friday, but still pleased that I maintained "comfortable pace".
Saturday: 10+ miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! "Only" 10 miles! Friday, carb loaded, foam rolled, relaxed, and went to bed early. Up before my alarm. Coffee and taking my time, and trying to warm up before heading out. Meeting my training buddy at 6:30. Frosty out, have to warm up the car! Crazy how it was almost 50 earlier in the week and in the 20's today! At my trail by 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, did the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back first. Chilly, but warmed up before 1 mi. Started out pacing just below 9. My buddy recently got a cortisone shot, didn't want to push it, seeing where the comfort level is. The more wooded side has an excellent view of the creek most of the way, especially as the leaves fall, definitely enjoyed it, especially some of the babbling brooks. Back towards the mid point, fueled at 5 mi, hydrated at my car at 5.25. Off to the slight incline side to Rockledge Park and back. Our buddy training to BQ at Philly ran a couple with us, picked up the pace slightly. Did the hill around Rockledge and back to the trail and back. Comfortable pace today and felt good. Could of picked it up a bit, but testing my friends comfort level, he felt good. Saw at least 4 deer today. Great day at the trail! Noticed I was close to 11 miles, my trail is 10.5, did .25 to keep loose while my buddy was taking "a break", but didn't bother to do 11, didn't feel the need.
Miscellaneous: 3 hours of yard work. 
Made a new friend Saturday night at Escape Trappe. The picture almost looks like a poster,it's not. He's in a capsule. ;)
Sunday: 1 mile. "Rest day". One for the streak. Run Streak Day 1387. Up a few minutes late, able to sleep in a few minutes, but have to be done and on the road by 9. Slept in till 6:30, but definitley could of used some more. Slow getting ready, overall soreness from yesterday's run and yard work. Coffee, hydrate, and stretch, out the door by 8. Goal: comfortable 8 min. Started out slightly ahead of pace and gradually pulled back. Definitely a through the motions day for today's run. 
Miscellaneous: 2 mi Walk to End Alzheimer's. An emotional, but inspirational and supportive walk. The Philadelphia event had at least 7,170 registered participants. Not the point of the event, but very cool, the end of the course walks around the warning track of the Philadelphia Phillies' stadium, Citizens Bank Park. Always feels good to be back at the stadium. And the rare opportunity to go along the field is nice. 
Miscellaneous: .5 hrs yard work. 

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 26 miles / completed 29 miles
Miscellaneous cardio: 4.5 hours yard work. 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 125 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 18 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...