Sunday, March 22, 2020

Weekly Running Report: March 22, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


I doubt any of you have had races recently, but if so, how did it go? Still following a training plan or lost on what to do now that your race has been cancelled/postponed?


Not sure if you saw, the race I've been training for, the New Jersey Marathon, has been postponed. A bummer yes, but they provided multiple options and in the grand scheme a things not a big deal and the right thing to do. As the date was approaching I could see the writing on the wall, even started tracking other races in the region as one canceled one right after another. Crazy how things have changed so quickly from March 1st to 15th. Be safe everyone, wash your hands, and please practice social distancing. 


This would of been week 15 of 20 my marathon training plan (1st 20 miler of the plan). Figured since I got this far, I would at least try to do the peak weeks. Don't think I could do a virtual marathon. Will be trying to at least follow the plan through week 17 (2nd 20 miler).


My Week in Training:


Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, had an excellent rest day. Hydrated, used my 
Belifu TENS gadget, relaxed, and in bed on time. Up once, but still a good night's rest. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch and out the door by 6. Legs feeling good from the get go. Settled in the 7:40's. 7:55 after my midway hill. Felt pretty good, but starting to feel the hills. Wasn't expecting to keep it at 8, not upset as I added another hill and incline before the end.

Sidenotes: #seenonmyrun was sure to practice #socialdistancing Don't really see too many people in my hood at 6am anyway. Only saw one dog walker, one walker and a few people getting in their cars. Sure to maintain space from them. 
Saw my beer distributor getting a shipment, ironically it was from a truck with a Corona advertisement on the sides. 
The outside loop from my neighborhood has a Giant grocery store across the way, opens at 6, parking lot was packed! Be safe out there shopping!
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, in bed on time. Good thing, tossed and turned around 3 and a short call from work at 4. That's it, I'm up! Coffee and got a good workout in (core and chest). Took my time heading out after, still pretty early. Out the door around 6:30. Not completely fresh, but going to give it a whirl. First alert, just sub 7. Pushed for a bit, but faded by a few, even on a downhill. Pace alert at 7:15 just before my hill at .6. Pushed a bit to at least maintain, but ended up bringing it down a bit. Light drizzle, not bad. #socialdistancing, didn't see anyone until a dog walker across the street near the end of my cool down. Not a bad morning on reduced sleep.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tues, in bed a few min early with good intentions. Good thing for that. Another work all. This time at 3 am. Worked until 3:30. Tried to go back to bed, but still thinking about work, layed there for few, not falling back to sleep might as well get up. Going to be a long day but pretty much wide awake for now. Coffee and plenty of time, got a good workout in (core and arms/shoulders). Taking my time, but ready to step out at 5:30. (usually aim for 6 for midweek). Settled in. A few seconds slower, but comfortable considering. Low 8's before my midway hill. Maintained through it, but faded by a few. Under 8:15 for the day. Not bad, with a few ft of hills. Sidenotes: the moon was a really cool sliver, wish I could get a good pic of the crescent. #SocialDistancing - saw about 6 ppl, 3 dog walkers and 3 walkers. Didn't think I would see as many, but saw most after 6.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, in bed on time, and I guess I needed some rest. Slept in a few minutes.  (5:40). Thunderstorm in the middle of the night and I tiredly said to myself I could always run at lunch since I'm working from home.. Up before the updated alarm. Still time to get a workout in. (core and chest). and out the door by 7. Light rain, not bad. A few fast pace alerts, but more of a comfortable mile today. Nothing too crazy. Social distancing: saw 2 dog walkers from afar during my cool down. 
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu, didn't feel like foam rolling, but did. Hamstring just a bit tight. Decent night's rest, up once briefly, and slept until my alarm. Up and ready to go! Coffee and workout. (core and arms/shoulders), stretched and still feeling a bit tight, out the door by 6:05. Run felt good today! Paced in the 7:40's till hill time, and hung in the 7:50's after. 7:55 a couple times before the last hill, but able to regroup. Weather was great too! high 40's and humid, short sleeves! Dense fog/misty no glasses. Social distancing: Saw a few more people out there today, but only had to space away from one as I flew by a bus stop. :)
Saturday: 21 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Friday, carb loaded and relaxed after work, in bed a few minutes late, but not bad. Up before my alarm, tossed/turned for a min, but up and figured I could get there even earlier. Coffee, yada yada, and at my trail a few minutes after 6. Still pitch dark out. No headlamp, will be running in the woods in the dark for a bit! My trail . Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Mid point to end to mid point is approx 5.5. Will be doing both sides twice with cutting a bit off of the one at the end. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. Starts out in the woods and then really opens up to the creek on the one side. Head on a bit of a swivel since it's dark and hearing rustling sounds in the woods. Felt good early, had to back off a bit a few times. Passed the rangers house around 1.5, tried to be quiet, trail opens at dawn, not that I have ever seen it enforced. Didn't see anyone until the Rockledge Park turnaround (they were wise enough to have a lamp). Midpoint, passed my car, skipped hydrating. Over to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Fueled at 6 mi. Starting to feel even better. That end and back. hydrated at my car (11 mi). to Rockledge Park and back again. Think I started to feel it around 16. Hydrated at my car again and over to the more wooded side with about 3.5 to go. Pacing 8:45-50 most of the way, slowed down the last few for sure. Legs starting to get heavy! Turned around with 1.6 to go. A few minutes later, not sure if I was day dreaming but tripped on a rock or branch. Scuffed my knee up, but got right back up and resumed. Couple minutes later looked down and had blood going down my leg. 1 mile to go, I'm not stopping. Slow last mile, and people staring at my leg was a bit funny, 1 person near the end asked if I needed assistance.
Sidenotes: accidentally paused my watch/strava at mi 17, but nike/phone was still going. Realized it/resumed. But not making up extra mileage since I had it going with Nike and was beat. On my way home, somehow got more energy and figured since I use strava for Squadrunner I would get my full 20 in there to sync to them.
Social distancing: turns out not a lot of people run in the woods when it's dark out! Didn't see too many people the first hour. Didn't see the usual large running group. Mostly pairs.. My pet peeve, if you are running side by side, and someone is passing or coming towards you, one should fall behind the other for a minute to prevent three people across the width of the trail for social distancing. Width is good for two, three is pushing it.
Full trail picks on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1520. Hydrated yesterday after my run, but eventually offset with a few drinks. Up past my bed time, midnight! Slept in a bit, almost 8. Up, but very slow moving. Sore and tight. Coffee and taking my time. Eventually out the door around 9. Through the motions for this one. Pacing started out around 8:30, but progressively picked it up. Didn't feel like I was pushing any harder, but comfortable pace, not that it was a comfortable run at all. lol.. Will do better today with recovery for sure. Not looking forward to tomorrow's 7 miler, but will do my best to prepare.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 37 miles scheduled, 41 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 168 minutes completed. One thing that working from home has helped. May do a few more minutes before my run, and may a few minutes here and there during work. Need a few min break from work? Get a few sets in! 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 15 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

03.29.2020Philadelphia Love Run half marathon: Rescheduled to 10.10.20, deferred to 2021.

04.26.2020NJ Marathon: 1. rescheduled to 11.15.20. 2. Option to defer 2021. 3. option to take online or in store credit! (minus tax/fees)

05.03.2020 - Broad Street Run - A fav, didn't think I would have the legs to run it the week after a marathon. That's no longer an issue. We'll see if the race actually takes place!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...