Sunday, April 19, 2020

Weekly Running Report: April 19, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going during all this craziness? Still getting outside (social distancing of course)? More indoor runs/workouts?


I'm still following my spring marathon plan for now. This was week 19 of 20.

Non-running related, how are you keeping busy during stay at home? Gardening/yard work? House projects? Streaming TV series/movies?

My Week in Training:


Monday: 5 miles. Only 5 miles for a Monday, hmm.. Monday's are sometimes the toughest to get out there (for me), but not as intimidated for 5 mi day. Was temped to have beverages for #SundayFunday, but refrained and got a good night's rest. Up a couple times overnight and slept to my alarm, but ready to go. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Out the door by 6. Just a little rain today. lol.. To say the least. Whatever, looking fwd to it. Backup shoes (anyone else get sad when their primary shoes get demoted to backups?), backup headphones, no glasses, and ziplock bag for my phone. Ready to go! Settled in early in the 7:40's. Puddles along sides of the street and at intersections, both shoes submerged early. Wind/rain blasting, no issue. Invigorating! Glad I went with a short sleeve shirt, humidity kicked in. Pacing 7:50's before my midway hill. Hanging just under 8 after and maintained until the next set of hills in the last mile. Felt the hills at the end, but a fun and good run. Social distancing: only saw 1 person! Usually see a couple dog walkers (1 is set to a schedule), maybe a couple bus stops. Not today, only saw 1 person that was walking home from the grocery store. 

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, decent night's rest after netflix binge of Ozark. In bed a few minutes late (9:15), and up multiple times overnight. Up and ready. Coffee and workout (core and chest). Stretch my back out and out the door by 6:40 (a few min late). Felt good early. First couple alerts under 7. But.. Could see the sunrise across the 4 lane road. Only have two spots to snap a pic, ran in a circle until traffic left and grabbed one. Back at it. Still feeling good but lost a few seconds. Picked it up for a bit, but lost my gain at the hill and incline. Still felt pretty good overall. Sometimes you have to stop to appreciate things. 
Wednesday: 6 miles. Tues, made a point to get a good night's rest, and was ready for bed.. but anxiety had my up tossing and turning. Up around 3:30 and then slept until my alarm. Not the best night's rest, but up and ready. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Stretch my back out and out the door by 6. A bit brisk! High 30's, not bad, but long sleeve time. Felt good early. Pacing high 7:30's and feeling good. 7:40's before my midway hill. Came out of my hill with room to spare and still feeling alright. Maintaining with another hill in mi 5, mid 7:50's, feeling the hills, but going to try to maintain under 8. Hanging in. felt good most of the way, felt the hills of course, but felt pretty good overall.
Social distancing: saw a few dog walkers early on, started seeing more people out there before I finished, but only had to space away from two people as I flew by bus stops.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, foam rolled and in bed on time, somewhat well rested, up before my alarm but waited it out. Coffee and workout (core and chest). A little tired/slow through my sets, but done. Stretch my back out and out the door by 6:40. Feeling good, wanted a decent start. Working on breathing/foot strike. First pace alert seemed late. Nope, faster than expected! .17 mi in 1 min, pace alert started with a 5! Picked it up, well, I mean concentrated more on everything. Gradually fading, but had a pr through 5 min. Hill at .6 and another incline before the end. No PR, but overall a fun run! All pace alerts were a little past my normal land marks. 
Social Distancing: saw 1 dog walker in my direct path during my cool down. We spaced apart. ;)
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu, a decent night's rest. Tired, but an appropriate amount of sleep. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Stretch my back out and out the door by 6:05. Frost warning, a bit brisk today! "Only" 4 miles today and feeling decent. Goal was to settle in around 7:45 and finish at 8. Went according to plan. Started in the 7:30's and was in the 40's by my midway hill. Hung around 7:50 after. Another hill in the last mi, hung in there to keep it under 8. Felt good most of the way. 
Social distancing: saw at least 3 dog walkers, a few others, and had to space away from 3 people.
Saturday: 7 miles. "Only" scheduled for 7, itching to do more, but accordingly to plan, I should be tapering. Fri, carb loaded, relaxed, binge watched a couple episodes of Ozark, foam rolled, and in bed on time. Had my alarm set, but up just before. Coffee and getting ready. Goal to start around 6, but morning "routine" was a few minutes behind. Out the door around 6, trail around 6:15. My trail Pennypack Creek.  Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Cooler and drizzle/rain in the forecast, only saw 1 car in the lot before me. Either side of the trail is 5.5 ish, will be doing the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and then adding about 15 minutes in the nearby business district. Started in the 7:50's, but settled in the 8's. By the time I got up the small hill by ByBerry Rd, felt like it was going to be an 8:15 day. Did a loop around the business district and picked up the pace a bit. Back to the trail with 2.3 to go. Picked up the pace again, splitting rest of the way. Couldn't get back to 8, but was comfortable pushing 8:04-8:02. Legs recovered after the hill and felt good in the second half.
Social Distancing: Saw more animals than people! First few minutes in, I saw a group of four deer! Two on either side of the trail, both sets backed away, hope they regrouped after I went by. Right after that I saw a fox! Clear view and was cool to watch it glide away to the side and disappear. Ended up seeing a two other solo deer and a rabbit. Didn't see any people until as I was finishing, a group of at least six people, they were spacing, but still not cool. 
Full Trail Pics On Facebook
Sunday: rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1548. Saturday, hydrated somewhat, failed to foam roll or any other recovery. lol. Eventually offset any hydration with beverages. And may have slept funny, back hurt a bit this morning. Tried sleeping in, not happening. Coffee, stretch my back out and out the door after 8:30. A litle more stretching before taking off, and worked on breathing. Felt decent. Quads a bit sore, but not bad. Overall a decent streak day. Will be doing yard work later today, which I usually try not to on Sunday's, but don't want to do it later in the week when I'm trying to taper. Will work on recovery later today and throughout the week. Still following the plan, next weekend may be the big day.. (God Willing)  ;)
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 22 miles scheduled, 25 miles completed
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 185 minutes completed. One thing that working from home has helped. May do a few more minutes before my run, and may a few minutes here and there during work. Need a few min break from work? Get a few sets in! 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps - hammer curls, triceps-raises, shoulders, chest - press/butterfly/pushups. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 19 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

03.29.2020 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon: Rescheduled to 10.10.20, deferred to 2021.

04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon: 1. rescheduled to 11.15.20. 2. Option to defer 2021. 3. option to take online or in store credit! (minus tax/fees)

05.03.2020 - Broad Street Run - rescheduled to 10.4.2020

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so fun to have a male running blog in the link-up! Great to read about your training!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...