Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Weekly Running Report: July 26, 2020


Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Doing any virtual challenges, or dare I say an IRL race? How'd they go? Doing any other outdoor activities to keep yourself busy?

I have been doing the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee, aka #GVRAT1000K, which was really 1023 km / 635 miles since May1st. Just completed this week! So happy to have completed it, and ready to take it easy and work my way back into marathon training. I will be doing a separate post for #GVRAT, keep an eye out for it!

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work..Excessive heat warning in effect yesterday through today! Hydrated well yesterday, but offset a bit with beverages. up before my alarm, but tired. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Steaming! Rough from the get go! Sore from the weekend (60 mi previous week, 25 over the weekend), quads overall fatigue, shins splints, and fun. This was a rough one for me. pacing 9's early and letting go. Last major hill in mi 5 almost had me quitting..lol, but regrouped to finish. Ugly, but done.
Tuesday: 7 miles before work. Tues used to be rest day, wth? lol.. Almost done with #GVRAT, soon back to a schedule with "rest" days... Monday, hydrated like heck. Really needed it! Foam rolled, and in bed n time. Well rested and somewhat better prepared for the heat.Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Still a little warm, but air quality felt better. Slight discomfort to start, but felt better as we moved along. Pacing 8:30 to start, but closer to 9 before hills... Faded through the hills, yada yada, fatigued, but not as grueling as yesterday. Definitely much happier with today.
Tuesday, part 2!: 5 miles after work. Once I saw that I was down to less than 9 miles to go for #GVRAT, I thought about getting it done by Wed. Was thinking about doing a two parter on Wed. Well, I found out that I may have some time on my hands after work today. Feeling ok, going to do a few! Still really hot out, but slightly less humid. Got to my trail by 5pm. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Will be doing the more shaded section. Pacing: started somewhat comfortable at 9, but definitely tight. Fading along in the heat and tightness. Shade helped in places. But not by much. And I swear the sun always finds me through the trees. lol.. Loosened up after the turnaround, but no neg splits on the way back. 
Wednesday: 5 miles! #GVRAT, according to my calc, I owed about 3.5 miles to complete. Decided if I felt ok, would go for 5, just in case. ;) Tues, did an ince bath, but failed to roll or stretch. Hydrated like heck, and in bed on time. A little tired this morning. Up before my alarm, but a little groggy. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Only 95% humid/72% dew point! Sweating within 3 minutes. Pacing 8:45 till the hills, 9-9:15 after. I did start out wearing my bib that I printed out, but being so soaked, the paper melted around the pins. :(  Another fun summer run, but  #GVRAT is done! 635 miles in 83 days! Keep a lookout for a more in depth write up on the #GVRAT!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Streak day run! Starting to go back to a "normal" schedule, with a 1 mi for what should be "non-running" days. Wed, hydrated like heck, foam roll, stretch. A bit tired, in bed on time! Decent night's rest, but a little tired to start. Coffee, workout (a few more minutes on 1mi day day), stretch, and out the door by 6:10. Still sore and stiff, don't think I'll be seeing much speed for a while, but got a decent start. First min pace alert around 7:30, but that was a struggle! Faded throughout, and mid run a branch reaching over a sidewalk ripped my headphones of my head, had to go find them! Resume for a few to finish. Humid, drenched even for a 1 miler. Oh, you know I had to rock my newly earned #GVRAT shirt, right?!
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, in bed on time, but could of used a little more rest! But.. up! Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Some ankle/shin discomfort while getting ready, sore to start, but got better as it warmed up. Humid, of course! ugh.. Whatever. Light rain to start, a little refreshing, but mostly humid. Still some overall fatigue in the legs to go with the ankle/shin pain. Pacing 8:45 for a bit, but faded 9-9:15 through the hills, yada, yada..  
Saturday:  1 mile. No long run this week? Woah! Plans in a bit, no time. But according to my training plan, I'm only scheduled for aong run of 8, and 25 for the week. Already got that in. Road trip at 6am, just doing my streak mi. Up before my alarm, out the door by 5. Forgot my headphones, they are already packed. Pacing myself with no music or pace alerts. Only a mi, but shin still stiff. And of course it's humid out. Wasn't fast, but better than lately. 
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Early plans the next few days, alarm set! Of course I'm up before it. Rest day, would do a 1 miler, but did 3 since I only did one yesterday. Staying in Gatlinburg, TN. Scouted yesterday for a route. Pretty simple, follow main street to the end and back. No hills! And very little traffic! 
Miscellaneous cardio: 5 mi hiking. 
Clingmans dome - 1 mi (.5 mi x 2), 332 ft ascent. Paved trail, but a little steep! 
Made it halfway up the observation tower before I realized the railing was short (just above waist high), and I'm scared of heights. 😱🤣 Made it to the tower, but a few pics a couple feet from the balcony. 🤣
Full pics on Facebook
Andrews bald - 3.6 mi (1.8x2)
Steep decline, a little technical, through a mossy forrest to a meadow vista. The meadow is supposed to have wildflowers and view. No flowers, and too hazy this morning, no view. But the hike through the forrest was great, steep incline back.
Weekly Summary:
Miles:  25 Scheduled vs 34.8 Completed, plus 5 hiking. 
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 7.66 (05/01-current)  
635 miles needed, 636 done. 
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 157 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 10 of 20 until Valley Forge Marathon using the below plan 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k".  - completed this week! Full review forthcoming! 

10.04.2020 -  Valley Forge Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...