Sunday, September 13, 2020

Weekly Running Report: September 13, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all well!

How's training going for you? Any recent races or coming up (virtual or IRL)? Any other outdoor adventures?

This was week 17 of 20 'till the Valley Forge Marathon for me.  One day so-so, but overall a pretty decent week.

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles. Day off from work (Labor Day), trail day, yay! Sunday, partaken in festivities. Not the best night's rest, but up at my normal time and feeling alright. Thought about setting my alarm, but didn't, and still up on time! Coffee, workout (extra sets since I had time, 49 minutes), stretch. Taking my time, over at my trail by 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the more open/ gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Goal: 8:30. Wasn't really in the mood today, but weather was nice and felt decent. Pacing 8-8:15 to Rockledge Park. Trail out and back to parking is 5.5, adding 1.5 somewhere. Ugh. Did this side to add a hill. Off the trail at Rockledge Park. Nice steep hill in the neighborhood nearby. Down their mainstreet for a few min and back. Pacing 8:27 as I returned to the trail. That hill did me in for a bit! On the way back, had to push it a bit till for a few got comfortable again. Neg split for a little, but not much. 8:24-8:26 to end overall. Felt my shin a little more than I preferred, but didn't stop me. Weather was nice, scenery, and run, was definitely in a better mood than before. And turned out to be my best 7 miler in three months!   

Full pics on Facebook

Tuesday: 1 mile. Strength Training Day, plus one for the streak. Monday, sad that the holiday weekend was coming to an end, but was responsible enough to hydrate well and go to bed on time. Up a few times and up again 15 minutes before my alarm, but waited it out. Up and ready to go! Coffee, workout (extra sets all around, 50 minutes total). Stretch and out the door by 6:20. Stairs weren't that bad, not that achy today, going to give speed a whirl. Working on breathing and foot strike. First pace alert as i got to the top of the hill was right where I wanted it and rolling along as the route levels out. Hovering between 6:55-7:00 before the hill sub 7, and 7:03 to end.  Getting there! Felt my shin slightly, but non issue, slight quad fatigue through the hills as normal.  Felt pretty good about today.

Wednesday: 7 miles. Could of used a better nigh's rest. Up slightly past my bed time (only 9:20 ish), but was all hyped up from a movie we watched, issues falling to sleep, watch says closer to 10:30. Was probably too late for me to start that movie, but went along with it anyway, doh! At least I was hydrated, and needed that! Coffee! Workout (30 min, 10 more later), stretch, and out the door by 6. Humid! 'doh! Haven't done my hills in a week, and of course it's humid. Goal 8:30-8:45. Felt decent at first, and pace was within range for a bit. 8:15 before my worst hill, 8:20's after. But still 3 more miles of inclines and a couple hills to go. Got distracted for a bit, angry that my watch was far off from my phone. (like 30 seconds avg). Lost focus. And then faded some more, etc. Missed goal by a little. And had to run an extra few minutes. Probably .3 ish more than strava says. There is literally a block missing from my map. lol.. Like the gps paused while the clock was going. The conversion pulled the missing gap time, as my phone (nike) has like .3 mi and 3 more minutes. Whatever. Hope this isn't an ongoing thing. 

Thursday: 1 mile. Strength Training day, plus one for the streak. Decent rest, tired, was ready for bed early! Up a couple times and again just before my alarm. Up! Coffee and ready to go! Workout (extra sets all around, 50 minutes), stretch, and out the door by 6:20. New shoe day! Saucony Endorphin Pro! Standing in them, definitely feel like they will propel you a bi forward. Work on breathing before taking off and go! Felt good to start, but just a few seconds slower than I wanted. Got it down.. but.. small issue with the shoe, left lace came undone! Didn't stop, remainder of the run was grabbing with my toes to hope the shoe doesn't come off. End of run, most of the lace was loose throughout the shoe. Lace is my fault. Can't really review the shoe just yet.. lol.. Finished 7:09, but really wanted closer to 7. 

Friday: 4 miles. Decent rest, and up just before my alarm, but tired and questioning why we do this everyday. lol.. Coffee, got going. Workout (30 min, +10 later), stretch, and out the door a few min after 6. Yup, still humid! Usually notice the window condensation just before it's go time. 91%, 70% dew point. Not horrible, but bad enough. New shoe day 2, wanting to give them another whirl, trying to do speed as well. Worked on breathing, and was comfortable around 8, but you know, hills and humidity. Worst hill in mi 1-2, flat and inclines after with another hill in 3-4. Faded a bit, and at least 1 second slower than I wanted. Oh well. Shoes felt good though. Definitely encourage more toe strike. We'll see how they do on a long run tomorrow! Packing a change of shoes in  case they kill my legs. lol..  

Saturday: 20 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! 20 miles? Ruh Roh! Did a 20 miler two weeks ago, and it was rough! Weather and in general. Definitely some hesitation going into this.. Fri was sure to hydtrate well, carb loaded, relaxed, and in bed on time. Alarm set to go off a few min early, figured since I'll be out 3+ hours, should try to get there a few min early. Well, up before that alarm too! Coffee, stretch, routine, eat a light breakfast (think I failed on that last time). Wanted to get to my trail around 5:30, but ended up closer to 5:45. Pitch dark out! My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the more open, gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. Pitch dark through the woods for a few minutes, but the side along the creek opens up for moonlight. Pace: starting out, was pretty comfortable at 8:40's, but not realistic to stay there. Gradually fading to 8:50's up the incline. At Rockledge Park end, I occasionally stray away from the trail for a few on longer runs, but have friends meeting up at some point. Found them on the way back and turned around to Rockledge Park again and turn around. Fading closer to 9. Fueled at 7 mi, hydrated at my car around 7.5 (usually 5.5, that turnaround for my friend added about 2). Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Pace still at 9, and actually picking it up on the way back to the parking lot. My friend dropped off there. Hydrated at my car. Off to Rockledge Park. Just under 7 mi to go, this side of the trail is 5.5. Pace still  8:50's.  At Rockledge, left the trail for 14 minutes. Up a steep neighborhood hill (a little concerned this would kill me being this far in), down their main street for a few and back. Only lost like a second. Maintained the rest of the way. Thought about pushing it, but not much doing. Finished 20 about .2 shy of the parking lot, slightly over estimated my neighborhood distance. Felt pretty good today! Ended up being my best 20 miler ever! Crazy how miserable I was with my last one, have to try to forget those. The weather was nice, 60's, humidity not bad. New shoes felt good, didn't want to slow down at all. Hope this training run translates to a decent race day. Other side note: blood on my shirt! Not chaffed nipples (got those covered), a small birth mark, never had an issue, ugh, something new. Will be sure to cover on long run day going fwd. Plenty of blood,sweat, tears go into this thing... lol

Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1695. Hydrated very well yesterday, ice bath, failed to foam roll. Eventually offset hydration a bit. Felt slight soreness yesterday, but overall not bad. Well, that changed. lol.. Woke up a few times very sore. lol.. Back and overall. Tried sleeping in, but up around 6:30. Coffee and taking my time. Stretch, roll my back out, and out the door around 8. Not messing around with speed today. Just trying to get into a comfortable rhythm for the 1 miler. Started around 8:10 and brought it down to 7:40s to 7:50's. Sore quads,etc, but 1 miler wasn't bad. A few minutes of yard work done, glad I do the worst of it midweek. lol.. Will be sure to focus on recovery (and try not to offset hydration too much while watching sports, lol..) to be somewhat ready for tomorrow's 6 miler.. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 38  miles scheduled,  41 miles completed 
Strength Training: Goal 150 minutes, 231 minutes completed
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Hydration Goal: met 7 days
Foam Roll: 5 days 
Training Plan: Week 17 of 20 until the Valley Forge Marathon using the below plan 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

10.04.2020 - Valley Forge Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on BibRave.com! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run! #BibChat Follow me on BibRave Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...