Monday, August 7, 2017

Week ending 08/06


Hi fellow runners!

How did everyone do last week?

My week below. Made it through vaca (Rocky National Park and Denver) without missing too many miles.

Monday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Wraps up July w 150 miles. Monday was also vaca travel day for me. Alarm set for 4. Was up at 3 and couldn't go back to sleep. Got up to work out and run. Felt fine. 4 hr flight ahead, some sight seeing. Bit of a long day. 12k steps done. Worst part about being up at 3, 2 hour time difference, so I have really been up since one their time. Going to sleep early I'm sure!


Side note: I see chipmunks all the time on my trail at home, they're too darn fast to get a pic. Guess I had to go to Colorado to grab a one. This was just before entering the town of Estes Park, Ppl stop by the welcome sign for a pic. The chipmunks are definitely used to ppl and looking for food!

Tuesday: 3.4 mi. around Lake Estes. (I later learned the full circle would be about 4) First full day in Co. Was going to do 5k, 1.55 and back. The initial decline was pretty fast, tried to pace and save energy for the return. Midway through, it appeared i was more than halfway around the lake. A bit deceiving, looking across the lake all the hotels/lodges look the same, especially from a distance. Was cold compared to home, but refreshing. The 7k elevation felt fine, till the end. Feeling it, thought I was back by my hotel, paused. Nope, cool down rest of way.
Side note: Saw two elk .3 mi into the run!
Hiking: Rocky National Park, Bear Lake, couple other lakes and water falls. 25k+ total steps for the day. 



Wednesday: 4 miles around Lake Estes. Woke up early, step out the door to get going, 5 elk 10 ft from my room! Scared my wife waking her up to get her real camera! Run wasn't bad. Hips and back a bit tight from hiking, stretched out, but not bad till the last incline.

Hiking: Sprague lake. 18k+ steps for the day

Thursday: 4 miles around Lake Estes, Co. Did some lighter hiking wed. Little sore, but alright. Our hotel is in the approx middle of a hill. Tues and wed, last hill got me. Decided to go in the opposite direction. The hills were even less forgiving. Initial decline was more gradual as the other direction.



Friday: 4 miles on the dreadmill. Arrived in downtown Denver Thurs afternoon. Walked around a bit, didnt see any runner friendly paths near the hotel. Hit the hotel gym. Dreadmills were open, did that first. 0 elevation. The past week had enough for me. 7.5 mph to start, midway backed it down a bit. #HiFiveFriday on the #RWRunStreak fb page! Lol


Saturday: 1 mile for the streak. Travel day. Woke up before the alarm, got the 1 and done in for the streak. Long day. Hr travel, few hrs in the airport, 4 hr flight, hr travel. Got some steps in. 10k+


Sunday: 12 miles at my trail. Apparently I was tired from vaca/travel! Planned on sleeping in before attacking my to do list. 10+ hrs sleep! I rarely get more than 7. Wasn't really planning on doing my long run today since I'm off Monday as well, but while getting ready decided to go for it! Hydrated. Ate half a Gu gel. Got to the trail and did my thing. Passed my car around midway, skipped water, around 45 min left finished my Gu gel. Maintained my pace till about 9 mi, faded a few.



August goals: 
  • 100 miles (3.33+ avg). Havent had to make this a goal in a long time, but two weeks of the month may be a bit crazy. A week vacation that includes a schedule of hiking, and a half week staycation that includes having family stay at my house for 5 days. On both accounts, I hope me being more of a morning person helps me attain this goal. 
Update: Got my miles in through vacation 1 without disrupting our itinerary. 28 miles through 8/6. Remaining miles shouldn't be an issue, guests arrive 8/23. 
  • Long runs of 14 miles for #RnRPhilly training

Upcoming races:
Registered for:
  • 09/09 flying fish 5k, did this brewery 5 k last yr, was a blast! 🏃🍺
  • 09/17 - Rock N Roll Philly, last yr, my first half! Officially back in training mode. Been maintaining long runs at 10. 11, 12, and 13 done, 14 to do.


  • 10/08 - Army Ten Miler!  (in dc) #RunArmyRunStrong

Contemplating:
  • 10/20-22 runners world. Not sure if I'll be up for a half so soon after the ATM, may do the 5/10k.


Can't go, but would love to (sched conflicts):
  • 09/16 Iron Pigs bacon 5k
  • 10/07 troegs hop dash 5k
  • 10/08 yuengling logger jogger 5k


Good luck to everyone with their training, keep kicking butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...