Sunday, August 19, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 9 - Weekly Running Update: Aug 19, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope all is well. How's everyone doing with their summer training? Any races recently or lined up? Which ones? I resisted being temped to sign up for Rock N Roll Philly on September 16. A great race, but would conflict with my training schedule, would love to do the race, especially since I have several friends doing it. Will probably still go down for support. Don't you hate when race dates conflict with training?! My races in October fall right in line with my marathon training. No adjustment necessary. (Maybe move a couple runs up that week for a small taper)


My Week in Training:

Monday: 5 miles before work. Sunday, was rest day. Some light chores, but definitely got some rest in! Set my alarm to run before work, up before that. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door before 6. Cooler temp, but just a tad humid out there! 99%! Paced around 8 before the hill in mi 1-2, faded to 8:15 after the hill and maintained there throughout. Today was also new shoe day! If you saw last week's post, my previous shoe tore a hole in the side! :( I was already eyeing up these Brooks, the cushion feels great! We'll see how they go. Hopefully all the extra cushioning doesn't lead to more moisture.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. This is where it's good to write things down shortly after. It was cooler, and 92% humidity. That's about all I remember. ;)
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. My work from home day, usually run at lunch. My sleep schedule has adjusted a bit, woke up before my alarm to run early. Coffee, work out, stretch and out the door by 6:10. Feeling pretty decent this morning. A few minutes after my first hill, got my pace around 8:05. Worked on pacing and breathing rest of the way. Maintained to finish at 8:07. A bit humid as always, but manageable.
Thursday: 3.11 miles before work. Routine, coffee, work out, stretch, out the door by 6. Felt like pushing it a bit today. There are days I start out below 8 and fade through the hills, and pick it up after, but not much. Today, working on pacing and breathing again after yesterday, did fade a bit as expected, but able to pick it up where I was before the hill. Kept with it there remainder of the way. There are a couple more hills, but not as bad as that first one. Don't work on 5k speed often, but felt good to complete under 8. Exerted, but not over.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thursday, stayed up a bit late. Hydrated a bit during the day, but not so much before bed. Still up early enough to get a run in before work. A bit sore. Coffee, work out, stretch, hydrate a bit, and out the door around 6. Humidity 89%. Felt it before starting. Was planning to take it easy before tomorrow anyway. Goal was to pace 8:25-8:30. Wasn't fun, but able to maintain.
Saturday: 12 miles. Long run day, yay! I lie about the yay. lol.. I'm sorry about complaining about weather. Another tough humid long run day. Summer runs equal fall PR's, right? Hope that's the case.. Anyway. Friday, took it easy, hydrated. Time to start carb loading for long runs. Pasta night! Hydrate some more. Good night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, light breakfast, hydrate, stretch, at the trail by 6:40. My trail Pennypack Creek. Trail is 5.5 mi. Park in the middle. Did the side with the gradual incline first. That side and back is 5.5, at that end went off into a neighborhood to do another mile. Steep hills. Feeling the humidity, drenched early. Fueled on the way back at the 5 mile mark. Hydrated around the 6.5 mark as I passed my car. Off to the other side that has a hill at the end. Feeling the humidity a bit more. dripping a long time, but shoes were soaked as well. Fueled again at the 10 mile mark on the way back. As I got closer to the parking lot, could tell I would need another .25, Did a side trail for a couple minutes, back to the trail and parking lot. Hydrated! And unfortunately had to do a couple hours yard work after my run. Hydrated throughout. Step count after yard work, 25.5k. 

Sunday: 1 mi Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 939. A bit sore from yesterday, took my time getting out there. But once I did, was amazed at the weather. 70 degrees and an occasional breeze, run was a bit sore, but felt great to get out there. Could have used this weather yesterday. 
This was week 9 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled to do 29 miles  / completed  34 miles
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled for 60 min/completed 166
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 15% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...