Sunday, January 6, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 3 - Weekly Running Update: January 6, 2019


Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well.

This week wrapped up 2018, kicking off 2019. I'm not going to do a full post on resolutions, but did everyone achieve/set theirs for 2018/2019?

2018: PR in half/full marathons. Take recovery more seriously, and start foam rolling. Achieved. Three pr's. 10 mi @Broad Street Run, half marathon @ Love Run Philly and full @ Philadelphia Marathon. Foam rolled plenty, but room for improvement.

2019: PR in full marathon. Two shots at it. I am registered for a spring marathon, Flying Pig, and a fall marathon, Philly. I have other races, but not a PR goal since they're mid marathon training and I won't be tapering. Another goal is to track foam rolling and hydration to be more accountable.

What are some of your goals?

My Week in Training:

Monday: 5 miles before work. A few beverages were had Sunday during football, but hydrated and got a good night's rest. Asleep by 9. :) Up before my alarm clock. Coffee, work out, foam roll, hydrate, and out the door by 6. For a Monday, was surprising not that tired. Sunday rest day must of helped. Mile 1 was @ 7:45, faded a bit through the hills, but maintained at 8:15. Felt great for a Monday!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. "Day off from work". New Year's day!, Happy New Year! Another good night's sleep, even slept in a few minutes. Neighbor's fireworks barely woke me up, slept like a log. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and head over to my trail. I don't usually go to my trail for 5k day often, but trying to get there as often as I can since daylight usually limits me to once a week right now. Was feeling pretty good beforehand, decided to do some speed work.. (At least for a bit.) Mile 1 started off around 7:15, tried to hold it there for a bit, but could feel it fading. Mile 1 @ 7:30, continued to fade a bit, but was fun to get out there and push it a bit harder than usual.
Pics are from mile markers 3.0-2.75.  From the mid parking lot (Welsh and Terwood Rd), about .12 to this entrance, which also includes bridge 6.  The parking lot to Byberry Rd (mile marker 5.25+) and back to the parking lot is about 5.2 miles. This is the more wooded side of the trail, I look forward to sharing 2.75-0.0. The scenery definitely changes a bit!
Full pics
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. A decent night's sleep, but a bit tired. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, out the door by 6. Felt great at first, even through the worst of the hills. Maybe a bit distracted and faded. Didn't push it when I realized it to get it back down, just went with it.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Tried to seep in a few minutes since it's one mile day. Almost slept to my alarm, almost! lol... Coffee, work out, foam roll, hydrate, and out the door! Feeling pretty good this morning, decided to do work on pacing/breathing and a bit of speed. Through the first min, alert started with a 6. Alright, bound to fade a bit, but a good start! Maintained around 7:30.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Went to bed at a decent time Thu night. in la la land.. Work called overnight, was up for a bit. Back to bed, and actually slept to my alarm! Don't remember the last time I slept until my alarm (4:50) Coffee, slow to get started, work out, foam roll, and out the door around 6:05. 8:15 pace before the hills, 8:25 after.. was a bit groggy, took my hat and gloves off to wake myself up a bit more. A bit chilly, but helped. Got my pace back down to under 8:20
Saturday: 9 miles. "Long" run day, yay! Didn't get the best night's sleep Thursday, went to bed at a decent time Fri and didn't bother setting my alarm, up at 5:15. Took my time getting ready. Coffee, foam roll, and at my trail around 7:15. Rain with a wind chill of 38. Was a bit cold as I stepped out of my house, rethought my top layer. Went with my winter pullover. My trail  Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood). Did the more wooded side first (to Byberry Rd) and back. Pace 8:25. Was comfortable for the first mile, but warmed up. Eventually took off my hat and gloves. Passing my car at 5.25 mi, didn't hydrate, will have to get better at this as long runs get longer. Thought about changing tops as I passed my car (probably didn't need the winter pullover), but went with it.To the other side, gradual incline. Pace was 8:32 before turnaround, picked it up on the way back to maintain at 8:30.  Shoes soaked. Quads a bit heavy, but happy overall.
Trail pics are from mile markers 2.75-2.5. The mid parking lot and entrance to the other side.
Full pics
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Run streak day 1,079. On shorter days I may be trying to go a bit faster than my training runs. I felt pretty good beforehand, foam rolled, etc. Once I started, I could definitely feel yesterday's run. Heard the first notification and was pleased, and kept with it. Maybe foolishly. lol..  Will be resting plenty remainder of the day. Hydration, foam roll again, and wear compression socks as I take it easy.
This was week 3 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled   25 mi / completed 28 mi
Strength training: scheduled  80 min/ completed 95 min
Foam roll:   7 days
Hydration goal met:  6 days (I slacked on NYE)

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...