Sunday, January 27, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 6 - Weekly Running Update: January 27, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well.

How's winter training going? Any recent races or training for one, which one? How are the temps where you're located? Keeping training indoors, or venturing outside?

This was week 6 marathon training for me, was a bit chilly for a couple days.

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6 miles. Day off from work, trail day, yay! Slow moving to get ready this morning. It's going to be a bit chilly out there! Coffee, work out, foam roll. Eventually head over to my trail. For some reason, I was the only car in the parking lot. Wind chill -13! More layers than usual. Once I got going, the temp was very manageable. Less flexibility due to all the layers, but felt fine temp wise. Two pairs of gloves, it did take about 15 min to feel my fingertips, but they were fine after that. My trail Pennypack Creek. Today's trail run was from the mid parking lot (Welsh and Terwood Rd) steady incline to Rockledge Park, to a nearby neighborhood to add a hill and little more distance. Turn around, back to the trail to the mid parking lot. The trail section would have been about 5.25, added the neighborhood to round to 6. Pacing: may have felt tight, but pace wasn't too affected. Comfortable pace beginning to end. Was thinking more about breathing and what was I thinking for getting out there more than about pace today. lol Just a few icicles in the beard, but not bad. I'm just glad the rain from Sat/Sun wasn't snow, dried up enough that there wasn't any ice. As chilly as it was, at least the sun was out! :)
Today's trail pics are from mile marker 2.25-2.0. Includes bridge number 8 and 9. I love bridge 8 when it's covered in greenery!
Full pics
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Another chilly day! Slow moving to get ready. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Through the motions. Today, first time through the neighborhood since the weekend rain storms. My street is a bit of a hill, no drainage issues. Not the case for a few blocks over. Some flash flooding that did not drain well. A couple feet of ice lined a few streets. Able to avoid, but when there's traffic have to move a bit closer to it. Was dressed appropriately, no issues.
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Temps in the 20's, it's a heat wave! lol..
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Mon/Tues, I had a slight sore throat. Hydrated well, started to feel congestion on Wed. Thurs morning, full of it. Up before my alarm, cleared it out. Coffee, work out, and out the door by 6:15. Run felt good, but didn't want to over do it. Thursday was also streak day 1,097, Three years! A separate post for my runstreak update, here.
Friday: 5 miles before work. A bit sick the past couple days. Thursday at work was the worst, sneezing/blowing my nose all day. Thankfully, no fever. Went to bed early and got a good night's rest. Up a few times overnight, and up just before my alarm. Slow to get going, coffee. Light work out. clearing some congestion out. Ready to go by 6. First mile felt great, after the hills around 8:25, was able to get it back down to 8:20. Running felt great. Head a bit cloudy, and clearing some congestion out along the way, but the run itself felt great.
Saturday: 11 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Feeling a bit better before bed. Went to bed early, got an excellent night's sleep. Didn't have any sneezing attacks through the night. Woke up (by 5) feeling much better. Just a tiny bit of congestion. Coffee, light workout, water, foam roll, and over to the trail by sunrise, 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood). To the more wooded side first (to Byberry Rd) all the way to the road. And back. Passed my car, failed to hydrate, 'doh! To the more open, gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Did a loop around Rockledge Park. and back. My trail is about 10.5, added a bit at each end, back to the parking lot was at 10.8, turned around for .1 and back. Pacing was 8:25 through about 7, faded to 8:38 for a bit. Legs a bit tight, ankle hurt for just a bit, but felt good overall.
Trail pics are from mile markers 2.0-1.75.
Full pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day. One for the streak. Streak day 1,100. Up by 5:30. A tiny bit of congestion, but can tell the cold is on it's way out. Took my time heading out. Coffee, foam roll, out the door around 7:30. 1 mile days can be fun. Depending on how it starts out, may do a speed day. To start, right calf felt a bit tight, but the first few notifications were faster than I anticipated. Tempted to pull back to round it out, but also tempted to keep with it. Continued on. My 3rd fastest 1 miler, fasted in a couple yrs. Now to relax remainder of the day.
This was week 6 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled  29 mi / completed  31 mi
Strength training: scheduled  80 min/ completed 106 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...