Sunday, April 14, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 17 - Weekly Running Update: April 14, 2019

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are doing well! Any recent races or ones coming up, which ones? How'd the race or training go?

I had a couple recent races. Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon and Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia, now back to marathon training for Flying Pig. This was week 17! Last long run before taper time!

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday was rest day, but did 2.5 hrs of yard work. Hoping my back wouldn't be an issue this morning. Relaxed remainder of Sunday. Hydrated and foam rolled. Went to bed early, but tossed and turned a bit, and received a call from work at 10:30. Short call, sleep shortly after. Up before my alarm, but didn't get up until it went off, oops, it was still set a few min earlier (4:30) from Saturday's race. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door before 6. Settled in the 8:20's early. Comfortable, but expecting to fade through the hills. 8:25 before the worst hills/8:27 after. Felt the hills, but maintained just under 8:30. Checking the training schedule, today was my last 7 mile Monday, Yay! Doing a tougher plan than what i did in the fall, was not looking forward to these Mondays (neighborhood's got hills)! I prefer my trail for 5+, but hey, hills are good for you! Managed to get through the tougher Monday's with no issues. Resting properly, and umm cutting back on Sunday sports day drinking helped. lol.. 
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Stayed up a few minutes late to watch a baseball game, but still up before my alarm. 4:50. Groggy. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch and out the door by 6:05. Temp in the mid 50's and humid! Dark out to start, a bit cool at first felt nice. Pacing felt better than expected for being tired. Planned on 8:20. Was 8:10 before 8:15 after the worse of the hills, and able to bring it under 8:05 to end. Definitely felt better than expected for being tired/groggy earlier!
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Tues, another night I could of gone to bed earlier. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:05. Felt pretty decent. Comfortable pacing 8:15-8:20. Slight inclines throughout, a decent hill midway, still felt good, sought out an extra hill near the end that's not part of my 4 mi route. There are cherry blossom trees every other block, stopped by one during my cool down. Will try to stop by a couple better ones while they are still in bloom!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Since Thurs is 1 mi day, I may be tempted to indulge in a beverage or two Wed night. beverage with dinner and during a baseball game. Ugly baseball game, did not stay up too late. Up before my alarm, but tired. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6:10. 1 mile days I am sometimes tempted to push it, not today. Goal to maintain at 8, brisk air felt good. Wind chill in the high 30's, probably should of worn long sleeves. After my run, turned back to take a pic of the sky, didn't notice it earlier, there's a corner hill I should of paused at to appreciate it a bit more. I also stopped at my neighbors magnolia tree for a pic, sorry rushed the pic, didn't want to stand in their lawn too long. lol..
Friday: 4 miles before work. Excellent night's sleep. In bed by 9:30, could of been slightly earlier, but whatevs. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:05. (should of been 6, but lost a few min in the morning "routine"). lol.. Temp in the high' 40's. A bit brisk, but felt good. Pace: aiming for comfortable 8:20, but under 8 for the first mile. k, I may push a bit today. 8:10 after the worst hills mid way, maintained, did another extreme hill at 3, faded slightly but regrouped.
Saturday: 20 miles. long run day, trail day, yay! Haven't been to my trail in three weeks due to races, three weeks seems like forever! 20 miles? ruh, roh! lol.. 
And of course I make afternoon plans, so I feel the need to get done early. Wake up early? No problem! Up before my alarm. Coffee, stretch, and over to my trail by 6:40. My Trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood Rd). 60's, light rain possible, humid and sticky! oh, fun! Mid to Rockeledge Park. Saw 7 deer in the first 5 minutes! But they didn't stick around for photo-op. :( Humid, steamy and sticky, start sweating early. Glasses fogged much of the early morning. Rocklege park and back, fuel before passing my car to hydrate at 5.25 to Byberry Rd and back. Fueling and hydrating again at 10.5. Pacing 9.2 at 10.5. continue to Rockledge Park and back. Feeling the slow down but at 9.4 at 15. Goal was 9:09, but from 18-20, faded for sure! (9:20 overall) Am usually good with hydrating every 5 mi, could definitely have used more today! Will be sure to take advantage of hydration stations on race day! Of the 3-20 milers, this was the toughest. Hopefully the taper helps. 
Afternoon plans. I've been trying to appreciate the Cherry Blossoms while they are still in bloom, well, went to Philly to check them out! Glad I saw the VisitPhilly article a couple weeks ago, here. Shofuso Japanese House and Fairmount Park, for full photo's check out my FB page or IG page. ;)
Full pics
Sunday: 1 mile. "Rest day" one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,177. Up early, but sore from yesterday's run. Taking my time getting ready. Casual 1 miler for the streak. Will have to do about an hr of yard work before actually resting today. Rest and hydrate this afternoon for sure! 

This was week 17 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 38 mi / completed 40 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 90 min
Foam roll: 7 days 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...