Sunday, May 26, 2019

Weekly Running Report: May 26, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well. 

Anyone doing any races this holiday weekend? Which ones, how did they go? 

I know I may be stalking the Vermont City Marathon pics later today, that may or may not be going on my to do list someday. ;)

This was week 5 of the marathon training plan for me. Doing a few extra miles for a few weeks. ;)

My Week in Training:

Monday morning: 6 miles before work. Sunday, no major chores, relaxed, hydrated, stretched, and got a good night's rest. Up before my alarm, but did't get up till it went off. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and out the door by 6. Temps are starting to rise, was warm yesterday, wasn't expecting it to be warm already at 6, but it was. Started out slightly fast, but settled in. Feeling the heat and inclines, was pacing at 8:28 before the worst of the hills. 8:35 after. Usually try to bring it back down after the worst hill, not today. Maintained and even faded a bit more. High pollen in the area as well, was coughing a bit towards the end. Fun times. Thought I had the energy for today beforehand, a bit tougher than expected.
Monday afternoon: 3.11 miles after work. Towards the end of work, running on the mind and had time and energy. So.. why not do a two a day? It's been a bit! I may have had energy beforehand, but the weather and legs disagreed. Not an easy 5k, but done! Was sure to hydrate after and foam roll before bed.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Excellent night's sleep. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Things a bit tight, cracking on my way down the stairs. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6. Usually try to pick up the speed on 5k day, but wasnt expecting much after doing 9 mi yesterday. The air was nice and cool. Felt good after stretching. Felt pretty good until I got to the hills. 8:18 after the worst hill, able to bring it back below 8:15. Legs weren't fresh, but felt much better than yesterday.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Up past my bed time last night to watch a baseball game that ran long. Came down to the bottom of the 9th. In bed by 10:45, but tossed and turned for a bit. Woke up a few times overnight as well. Up just before my alarm. Coffee, work out, stretch (definitely needed that stretch this morning!), hydrate, and out the door by 6. Air nice and cool this morning, refreshing! Run felt good at first, but as the inclines added up, slowed down before the worst hill. 8:28/8:35 before/after the worst hill. Quads getting heavy this morning, but exerted to get it back to 8:30. Felt like I had energy as I started, not the case towards the end!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. OK, night's rest, could of used slightly more. Was sure to foam roll last night. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6:10. Stretched slightly more. Started working on breathing before taking off. Worked on cadences, legs still heavy, but pushed it a bit to maintain 7:45, completed with 7:41. 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thursday, had a beverage or two while watching the end of an afternoon baseball game. A new brewery opened up, stopped by after work, picked up a crowler to go (for the weekend, well it didn't make it to the weekend) lol.. 
In bed by 9, decent night's sleep. up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, morning routine, about to stretch, noticed I was somehow a few min behind schedule? Not sure where I was dilly dallying, everything seemed to be on schedule. Stretched, but could of done better, Out the door around 6:05. Temps in the 60's was nice. Comfortable at 8:10-20 before the hills, 8:25 after. Pushed it a bit to maintain. May have exerted, but definitely not the heavy legs earlier in the week.
Saturday: 16 miles (scheduled for 10?! (trying to do a few extra miles on long run day till about week 11))  Long run day, trail day, yay! Hydrated plenty, carb loaded, stretched, and got a good night's sleep. Up a couple times overnight and up early. Woke up a bit achy, some more stretching. Coffee, light breakfast (bagel/pb), hydrate, and  at my trail by 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood Rd) Did the more gradual incline side first to Rockledge Park. Started out slightly ahead of pace, settled in around 1 mi. Rockledge Park and back, fueling at 5 mi. Passing my car and hydrating at 5.2. Pace 9:01. To the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back. Maintaining pace, but feeling like I was slowing down. Having some doubts about how much extra mileage today, but maintaining pace. Then I had an allergy attack, felt like I was coughing on pollen, and abs hurting from being tight/coughing, thankfully I wasnt far from my water. Fueled at 10 mi, hydrated as I passed my car at 10.5. Pace 9:03. That water/fuel sure helped. Feeling a second wind as I head back to Rockledge Park. Slight incline, but maintaining pace. 9:05 at the height of the incline and back. Could feel the slow down as I approached 16 mi just before the parking lot. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,219. Usually try to "sleep in" on Sunday, but unfortunately had to work today. Scheduled system maintenance, shouldn't be bitter, they gave us like a year's notice this upgrade would be over a 3 day weekend in case stuff really hits the fan. Up just before my alarm. Woke up a bit tight. Calves especially. Coffee, water, and stretch. Stretched the calves a couple times before heading out. Usually try to push it on 1 mile day, some overall soreness today, exerted most of the way to maintain under 8, but definitely wasn't comfortable. lol.. Will be hydrating plenty before any offsetting later, will be sure to stretch a couple more times as well.   
This was week 5 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled mi 28 / completed 40 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 93 min
What type of strength training? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, pecs. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   

Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon? Haven't signed up yet, but in training mode for it. Will let you know when I'm registered. 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...