Sunday, June 2, 2019

Weekly Running Report: June 2, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well! Any recent races or ones coming up?

This past week was also month end. Everyone get their miles in? Ready to bring on June and the warmer months?! Be sure to hydrate! ;)

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 11 miles. (scheduled for 6). Day off from work, trail day, yay! Thought about sleeping in, but may have plans later and wanted to get my workout and run done early. Up early anyway. Coffee, work out. Rested yesterday, but right calve and shin are still tight. Stretched. At my trail by 7. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. Felt stiff, but able to start out a bit fast. Settled in. Pace 8:34 at the height of the incline, able to bring it back down on the way back. Fueled at 5 mi. Hydrated as I passed my car at 5.2. Pace 8:30. Off to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back. Maintaining pace for a bit. Started fading. My trail is 10.5, knew if I wanted to add .5 I should do it before I get near my ending point. At Byberry rd, turned into a business district nest to the trail parking lot, shh, no trespassing/loitering. Did a loop around and returned to the trail. Pacing 8:38. Exerting to maintain, let go a bit to get more comfortable. 8:40's, starting to feel a bit better, tried pushing at the end but not much change in pace.
Monday after running 11 mi. Went on a little hike. High Rocks. Easy hike. A few small vista points, was expecting at least one bigger vista. Trail features a creek, very nice. Once done at the creek, it is a steep walk back. Trail isn't too technical. Unless you go by the Rock Climbing area! Glad we found it, very interesting! The trail isn't well marked, lacking signs, or info.
Step count after running and hiking, will end the day 30k+
Full pics on my FB page
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Let's just say I was tired. Busy weekend, extra miles and hiking, a few drinks last night. Could of used more rest.  But up before my alarm. Coffee, work out. Wasn't that tight, did a little stretching. 80% humidity, to me, it felt worse than that. A bit faster than expected to start, slowed down at the worst hill to 8:22. Able to bring it down, surprisingly 8:15 for a bit, but didn't feel like pushing it that much. Tired, humid, may have cussed most of the way. 
Wed: 5 miles before work.  Quads a bit heavy today. Inclines added up before the worst hill around the mid point. 8:30 before the worst hill, 8:38 after. Able to bring it down for a bit, but the short extreme hill near the end was rough. Thought about going around it but chugged through it.  
Thurs: 1 mile before work. Wed night, made a point to foam roll. Was in bed by 9pm, excellent night's sleep! Up just before my alarm. Coffee, work out, a little bit of stretching, and out the door by 6:10. 1 mile day, going to try to push it a bit. Working on breathing and cadences. Quads (heavy yesterday) non issue today. On 7:30 pace. Two minutes in, no music, debating if I want to mess with it on the go. I foolishly did. (new phone, don't want to drop it the first week). got my music going. Maintaining pace through the decline, lost a couple seconds in the incline, but felt pretty good overall. During my cool down, the sweat started to down pour. Usually relax a few minutes outside on the stoop. Puddles started to form. Not that warm, but 89% humid. Just wait until it gets really hot! lol.. 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Decent night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Pretty much the same route as Wednesday. Comfortable in the first half. Slowed down as the inclines added up. 8:25 before the worst hill, 8:32 after. Maintaining back at 8:28 until that last extreme hill. Felt the hills, but not as bad as Wed!
Month End Summary: Friday was month end.
May: 154 miles (a few taper/recovery days around FlyingPig, but got it back up there)
YTD: 702 miles
100+ mi month: 50 straight months
Run Streak: 1224 straight days.
Strava Hill Challenge: complete. Started the hill challenge in January to prepare for FlyingPig, going to continue doing it. It definitely keeps my honest on days I would rather avoid a few.. besides, hills are good for you, right?!
Saturday: 16 miles (scheduled for 11). Hydrated, carb loaded, and foam rolled yesterday. Tried to get a good night's rest, in bed by 9:15. Up before my alarm clock. Coffee, hydrate, "morning routine" :) A light stretch and over to the trail around 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. Settled into my pace. Humid, but comfortable. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrated as I passed my car at 5.2. Pacing 8:58. Over to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd (which has a slight hill at the end) and back. Starting to question my plan to do 16, but pacing ok still. Fueled at 10 mi, hydrated at my car at 10.5. Pace 9:02. Back to the more gradual incline side. Pacing ok, but could feel some tightness. Starting to question my plans of "extra miles". lol.. Passed a regular that asked how many miles. "Trying for 16!" Not that I need to tell anyone, but definitely feels more like a commitment at that point. Feeling the incline, maintaining at 9:06 at the end of the incline. Comfortable pace, but could feel getting tired. Turnaround from Rockledge Park with about 2.5 mi to go. Counted the cadences and minutes rest of the way. lol. Am doing extra miles from plan for a few weeks to push my comfort zone, and that last mile was tiring, but glad I did! 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1226. Hydrated plenty yesterday after my long run. Eventually offset with a couple beverages (but not too many. ;) Got an excellent night's rest. Actually slept in today! Watch says more than 8 hrs! very rare for me. Up, coffee, read the news (play on internet), light stretch, and out the door by 8:30. Feeling yesterday's run a little bit, but still wanted to push it a bit this morning. Started working on breathing before take off. Up a short steep hill and level out, then down hill for a bit. pacing 7:13-7:15. Uphill at mid way that levels out with a small incline. Pacing 7:20-7:25. Definitely took some exertion for speed today, but was fun!
This was week 6 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled mi 29 / completed 42 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 101 min
What type of strength training? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon? Haven't signed up yet, but in training mode for it. Will let you know when I'm registered. 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...