Sunday, July 7, 2019

Weekly Running Report: July 7, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well! How's summer training going? Is it hot/humid where you are? Hope you are hydrating and fueling properly! Any recent races or training for one? Which ones?

I had a day off from work this week, (Independence Day!), no race, but took advantage and got some extra miles in. Which helped boost my weekly miles, highest weekly total to date! 50 weekly miles!

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, had multiple beverages while watching baseball with friends. But did make a point to hydrate and go to bed early. Decent night's rest. Coffee, workout, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6. A little sore, but was able to maintain my comfortable pace for the most part. 8:20's until the worst hill, 8:30 after. Quads still feeling Saturday's long run and today's hills, but maintained somewhat.
Tuesday: 4 miles before work. Tues is usually 5k day, but trying to add a mile here and there.. Monday, in bed early! Excellent night's rest! Coffee, workout, hydrate, and out the door by 6. Would usually try pushing it on 5k day, but with adding the mile, decided to back off and try to maintain my comfortable pace. Maintained in the 8:20's, felt pretty decent.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Could of gotten a better night's rest! Went to bed at a reasonable hour, but tossed and turned, and then up before my alarm. Coffee, workout, check work for a bit, hydrate, and light stretch. Out the door by 6. Humidity hits me first thing! Before starting can tell this may not be fun. Settle into a comfortable pace. As the sweat starts to pour and the inclines add up, can tell I'll be losing pace when I get to the worst of the hills. Lost a few seconds as expected, struggled a bit to maintain. Hills, humidity, legs a bit heavy. Not as much fun as usual. lol.. But at least it was new shoe day, yay! Brooks Launch 6 "Old Glory'. Was almost time to start thinking about getting new shoes when the ads started popping up. They feel good, and weren't as expensive as some other new model Brooks. (I usually look at a model behind to save a few).
Thursday: 16 miles! Thu used to be 1 mi day, changed to 5k day (since I've been trying to do 40 mi weeks), but today is a day off from work! (Independence Day!). Last night, had a couple beverages while watching baseball, this morning was getting some good sleep and made the mistake of disabling my alarm. (felt good at the time, payback later!) Coffee, hydrate (2 waters pre-run), (no workout, workout minutes may be low this week). At my trail after 7. Already warm out! My trail Pennypack Creek. Did the slight incline side to Rockledge Park first.  First mile ahead of pace, then settled in. Bicycles blocking where I turn around at the end, head into Rockledge Park (extra hill) for a lap and back. Drenched, but still maintaining pace (9-9:10). Fuel at 5 mi, hydrate at my car at 5.3 mi. Over to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd. Shaded, feels better over there, but still warm/muggy out. Pace eventually falls to 9:20. Going to be a rough day, let it go to 9:30 before 10. Fueled at 10, hydrated at 10.5. One more out and back, this time I carried a water with me. Counting down the minutes for 4.7 miles, it was rough. At the end, paused for a min to collect my thoughts and drink my water. Fueled again. Resumed with about 2.7 to go. Hanging in there.. my pace supposedly getting better, didn't think anything of it. That break must of helped! Well, towards the end, noticed there was a reason for that. My watch and my ph apps were no longer close (at least .5 mi difference) My location setting got disabled at that last break. My pace alerts were all a lie! lol.. it was saying 9:14-9:11. not even close. 9:45. Oh well. No mater the pace, it wasn't a fun one. lol.. Trudging along after 10.5. Oh, did I mention it seemed warm? Real feel 96 with 76% humidity.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu was a random "long run day" in the heat. Was sure to hydrate plenty after. At least 9 waters for the day. Did have a few beverages for the holiday, but was sure to hydrate and foam roll before bed. In bed early, fireworks going off, but able to get a good night's rest. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Stairs weren't as bad as expected. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and light stretch. Out the door by 6. Tried telling myself to forget I did 16 yesterday and to treat it like a normal Friday. Out the door, humid! Temp not bad, but humid. ugh. Quads a bit sore/heavy. First mile went better than expected. 8:05. 8:10 before the worst hill, feeling it and not concerned with time let it slide. Maintained 8:30 ish overall. Humid, heavy legs, happy with it overall. Hopefully I can recover a bit more before tomorrow's long run.
Saturday: 12 miles. With doing this week's long run on Thursday, today was pretty much all bonus miles. Calculated what I would need to do to get 50 miles for the week. Maybe a bit foolish of me, but who know's when I'd try again. Friday, had plans after work. No alcohol, was going out to see a firework display. Kiwanis Club Of Ambler, puts on one of the area's best fireworks display's, many argue the best. Front row seats, actually had ash falling on us! Anyway, I digress. Up way past my bed time, especially before long run day. In bed around 11, up just before 5. Coffee, hydrate, out the door around 6. Heat advisory in effect for the day, with the index going up to 100+. Out the door, not hot yet, but muggy. 80 degrees 80% humidity. My trail Pennypack Creek. park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. My trail, doing middle to end to end to middle is 10.5, I'll have to decide at some point where I'll do the extra 1.5.  Start out slight incline side to Rockledge Park. Settle into my pace early. Muggy, drenched by 2 miles, know I'll be questioning my decision to do extra today.. Turn around from Rockledge start feeling a bit better, maybe it wont be so bad. Fueling at mi 5 and hydrating at my car at 5.3, pace at 9:06. Off to the other side to Byberry Rd. More shaded area. Fading a bit, trying to hold at 9:10, but know I may not be able to with the weather and not so fresh legs. Byberry Rd, I decide I'm going to do that 1.5 in a nearby business district. shhh, no loitering/trespassing (business only), empty parking lot campus, could probably do a bit more if i had to without duplicating much. some slight inclines though. Paying attn to distance alerts I head back to the trail with 2.5 to go. Slight decline to flat rest of the way. Pace 9:15 debating on pushing to getting back down or just try to maintain. Briefly down to 9:13, but back, just hung in there rest of the way. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Sat, was at a late afternoon bbq, made the mistake of having espresso with dessert. Was up way past my bed time, past midnight! Sunday, slept in a bit, 7:30. Probably could of used more sleep, but tossed and turned and got up. A little rough going down stairs at first, but not that bad after stretching. Coffee, hydrate, light stretch and out the door around 9. Worked on breathing before taking off and cadences the entire way. A bit rough to push the entire way, but not bad. Will be doing plenty of resting today. Off to the movies in a few (Spider Man: Far From Home) and watching baseball later. Hydrating plenty (after the movie) #RestDayBrags. lol...
This was was my 1st 50 mi week! Doing extra miles the past few weeks and taking advantage of the day off from work definitely helped!
This was week 11 marathon training, using the below plan.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 34 mi / completed 50 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 91 min
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...