Sunday, September 1, 2019

Weekly Running Report: September 1, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well! 


How's everyone's summer training going? Any recent races or one's coming up? Which ones?


Yesterday was month end. Did everyone get their weekly/monthly miles in? Ready to crush September?  


This was week 19 of 20 marathon training for me.


My Week in Training: 


Monday: 5 miles before work. Could have gotten a better night's rest. Sunday, wasn't excepting that the weekend was coming to an end already, wasn't tired and stayed up till 10. Woke up at 3:30 and had issues falling back to sleep. Up before my alarm, but not as tired as expected. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), hydrate, stretch my back out and out the door by 6. Pleasant weather over the weekend, and for a few more days before summer temps are back. Off to a good start. mile 1 was sub 8, 8:teens through the worst of the hills. Eventually faded to 8:20's. able to maintain. Weather was great. Run felt good for a Monday! Especially for a poor night's rest!
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday.. experienced some pain after doing chores. May have popped/pulled something in my lower back. Hate when I get hurt doing something not fun! Just getting up/down from sitting or bending over was painful. Did not get a good night's rest. Tuesday, was up early. Maybe some progress. Still wanted to try working out, but be "smart" about it if possible. Core: Old school sit-ups, couldn't even do 1. (usually do 1-3 sets of 50). Did crunches and planks. Leg raises and glute bridges, weren't easy, but felt like it was helping stretch things out. Weights, was able to do chest day. Out the door by 6:15. Running wasn't bad. Getting dressed hurt more than the run itself. Will try to stretch a bit at work if possible, at least on my lunch break, and of course foam roll tonight. Unfortunately taking ibuprofen or aleve as well.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Tue, still some soreness and stiffness in my back. Foam rolled before bed and taking Aleve. Decent night's rest, definitely better than the previous night. Up before my alarm, but moving slowly. Workout.. Core: crunches and did 25 old school sit ups. Tough at first, but better than yesterday (couldn't even do 1 due to the back pain!). Leg raises and glute bridges. Weights: arm and shoulder day.. Did 5 sets of 10 (usually 7-8 sets) Put the weights down in between sets, picking them up off the ground was a bit uncomfortable decided 5 sets was enough. Since I cut back on sets, had a few minutes, did a few chest presses. Stretched. Out the door by 6. Stiff, but able to get into a "comfortable pace". Mile 1 was a bit slower than preferred, but warmed up. Worst hill in mile 2, 8:25 after. Maintain at 8:30 rest of the way. Quads also felt a bit heavy towards the end. I coincidentally have a sports massage tonight, hope that helps!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, had a Sports Massage! Was already scheduled for one before I ran into this back issue. Some coaches recommend a massage before (and if you have means) after a race. We'll see if it helps get me fresh for the big race next week. The massage: some of it hurt (in a good way, especially after), some of it hurt/tickle (the way I was dug into in a few spots), and some of it was very relaxing. Was also stretched out. My worst area was my shoulders, which of course hurts this morning. Felt very relaxed afterwards, like jelly or butter. Workout this morning: core: crunches, able to do 50 sit-ups (back getting better!), leg raises, glute bridges. Weights: chest day. My lower back has reduced to a manageable pain. A few movements still hurt a bit (like putting on shoes), but ok. Out the door by 6:15 for the streak day run. Tried to back off a bit. occasionally pushed, but comfortable today.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu, up a few min past my bed time, almost 10pm! Slept until my alarm! Very rare. Slow moving. Workout done (core and arms). Slow moving at times, but back pain almost gone. No more complaints. Out the door by 6:05. A few min late, not due to a slow workout, but "routine" needed a few more minutes. Comfortable, a bit slow to start, but warmed up. Mile 1 started at 9, brought down to 7's comfortably. Mile 2, worst of the hills, 8:15 after. Faded a bit, but comfortable maintaining under 8:30.
Saturday: 8 miles. (scheduled for 7) "Long" run day, trail day, yay! Friday, carb loaded, hydrated plenty, and went to bed at a decent hour. Up a couple times overnight, could of used slightly more sleep. Up before my alarm. Took my time getting ready. Coffee, hydrate, and stretch. Out the door by 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. When I got there, bumped into with one of the trail regulars that starts at 7 (I usually start before them). They had a small group meeting and asked if I wanted to join them. (a couple slower runners (age 73 and still kicking ass),expected us to take off after a bit) One of the runners from the group mentioned they would do 1 casual mile with them and then 16 miles at 8:30 pace. From the mid parking lot to the more incline side to Rockledge Park. Did the first mile in the high 9's. Was good chatting with them, usually only see them for a couple minutes in passing or in the parking lot. From there, the pace picked up. Another speedster (working on BQ) joined us for a few. At Rockledge, we did the loop around the dog park which adds a small hill. Fueled/hydrated at 5.3 as we passed the mid parking lot on the way back. Off to the more wooded side towards Byberry Rd for a bit. Turned around at 6.5 ish. At 7 miles, would have left me a decent walk for a cool down, continued. At 7.5, figured I might as well make it 8. It was a comfortable 8 mi day, amazing how good company helps! Post run, had to do 2 hours of yard work, blah! Did the best I could with the extra stuff, weeding, etc. Will try not to do too many strenuous chores the next week. To rest as prescribed in the plan. Which also unfortunately means I'll be doing them shortly after my marathon. lol...  No fancy trail pics today, but I do like that the car wash near my trail seems supportive! 
Saturday was month end:
August Monthly Summary: 
Month: 151 miles
year: 1,201 miles
Run Streak: 1316 straight days
100+ miles: 53 straight months
Strava Hill Challenge: 7234 ft ascent

Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1317. Saturday, hydrated plenty, eventually offset by a few beverages. (be sure to follow me on untappd!) Decent night's rest. Occasionally sleep in on Sunday's but not today. Up by 6. Coffee and taking my time, reading the news (plan on internet), etc. Hydrate, light stretch, and out the door by 7:15. Goal over the next week is to go at a comfortable pace. Nike pace alerts not working, fine(seems to happen after an update and needs a boot).  Won't worry about pace anyway. Right? Occasionally counted cadences, but tried to just be comfortable. sub 8 min, and was comfortable. Will be hydrating plenty again today, may offset later. ;) Will be doing ice baths next week, and even cryotherapy before my big race!

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 21 miles / completed 25 miles (plan +1 +3 streak days)
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 107 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, glute bridges. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 19 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...