Sunday, February 23, 2020

Weekly Running Report: February 23, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)? Anyone do the Gasparilla Distance Classic, Hot Chocolate 15k series, Run Disney, or any others? How did it go?


This was week 11 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me 04/25-26! (discount at bottom of post) :)


My Week in Training:


Monday: 7 miles. Sunday, rest day, hydrated early, but offset later by beverages. Off work today, no real plans and was going to try to sleep in. Up by 6 and couldn't fall back to sleep, tried but to no avail. Coffee and taking my time. Got my workout in (core and arms/shoulders). Slowly getting ready to head out. At my trail a few minutes after 9. My trail 
Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Pacing: figured I'd be tired and through the motions, goal 8:30. Starting out, pacing in the 7:30's. Eventually settled in the low 8's. Weather was mid 30's and sunny, ended up being a beautiful day at the trail. At the ByBerry Rd end, checked to see if the business area next door was busy, it was. Trail side is 5.5 (2.75 and back) have to add 1.5 mi somewhere (that business complex has some nice loops when empty). Head back, passed my car at 5.5 and did about .8 towards the other side and back. Pacing: 8:10, comfortable today. Could of pushed a bit faster, could of relaxed a bit more. Felt pretty good for a day that was slow motivation to start. 

Full trail pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, in bed on time with intentions to be well rested to take on the week. Well, up before my alarm with a sore throat and sinus congestion. Took some meds, tried to go back to sleep, not happening. Up. Coffee, workout (core and chest). Good thing I was up early, slow to get moving. Longer breaks between sets than usual (don't worry, paused my timer for breaks). Workout done. Cleared some congestion, but still have an itchy tickle. Out the door by 6:30. Pacing: despite the congestion, still feeling ready to run head and muscle wise. Started out sub 7 and maintained most of the way. Worked on breathing. Some hacking towards the end but my run felt pretty good overall.
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Taking vitamins, fluids, meds, in bed on time. Up at 1 am full of congestion! Tried to be quiet, but made some noise clearing things out! back to bed but took a while. Up before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders). Workout was better than yesterday, not as many breaks. Out the door on time. congestion in my head, but still feeling alright other wise. Pacing: goal 8:30. Went better than expected. Not sluggish due to the cold yet (thank goodness, knock on wood). Settled in the 8's, 8:10 after my worst hill and faded a bit after. Wasn't concerned about pace at that point. Somewhat comfortable, even with the 500 ft ascent. Did feel the hills, but manageable, and the air and run helped clear my sinuses a bit.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Another night of restless sleep. Up at 1 am again full of congestion, tossed and turned rest of the night, up before my alarm. Coffee and workout (core and chest). Surprisingly not tired. Out the door by 6:30. Pacing: Going on feel. Legs and upper body still feeling fine. Started out sub 7. Picked it up a bit until that hill at .6 tried to maintain, faded slightly. Worked on cadences and stride, felt good. (besides the occasional hack).
Friday: 5 miles before work. A decent night's rest. Woke up once coughing congestion, but able to fall back to sleep. Almost an avg amount of sleep (usually up at least once anyway). Slept until my alarm. Up and moving. Coffee and workout (core and chest) and out the door by 6. Pacing felt good early. 7:30's to start, settled in the 7:40's. Inclines adding up, but maintaining. 7:45 before my arch nemesis, my midway hill. Faded a bit there per usual, but with space of hope to maintain under 8. couple inclines and my extreme hill at the end, beat it to keep it under! 350 ft ascent in 5 mi, inclines and a couple hills, got em this time! meanwhile still sick!
Saturday: 16 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! 16 miles the beginning of long run day going from half to full training. Not intimidated yet, but getting there. Fri, carb loaded, hydrated, relaxed and in bed on time. Still a bit sick yesterday, sniffles and a little sinus and chest congestion. Woke up a couple times coughing, and up before my alarm. A little back pain (probably sleeping funny), legs a little sore, and some congestion. Was looking forward to today, but had some concerns when waking up. Coffee, yada yada, and at my trail by 6:45. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Each side of the trail is 2.75 out and back to mid point for 5+. Will be doing the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd twice and the more gradual incline side once. (2.75*6=16.5). Pacing: started out ahead of target, and actually felt good despite the concerns earlier. A few points of foggy headedness, possibly from the sinus meds. Pacing settled in around 8:30 for a while. Few miles in, bumped into a buddy doing 14 today, slightly slower, but I should slow down anyway. Couple minutes in, I warn them that I'll be hacking along the way. Turnoff, they are avoiding sick people, I get it. lol.. Solo today. Hydrated at my car at 5.5 and over to the incline side and back. Fueled at 6 mi. Faded slightly through the inlines, tried splitting on the way back, not much. 8:34 ish as I passed my car again at 11 mi. Hydrated. Made a point to hydrate today! A. hydration is important, I have been skipping on previous long run days, but know I need to, and B. with being sick and spitting all morning knew I needed fluids! lol..  Back to the more wooded side. Around 12 mi, tripped on a rock or something, didn't fall, but started to stumble to the side of the trail, very close to landing it a ditch of prickly bushes! Toes hurt a bit for a few! Knew I would be slowing down at some point, but tried to maintain. Faded at 13, and legs got heavy after 14. Will try starting slower for 18 mi day. Supposed to be "Long Slow Run". I know, I know. Coincidently, just noticed this was my fastest 16 miler. lol
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1492. Tried sleeping in, not happening, gave up around 7. Sore, woke up tight! Coffee, hydrating, stretching. Out the door around 9. Had to drop my car off for inspection, shop is about 6 min running time from home. Multiple route options, chose to do part of my least fav hill, bottom is about 2min from the shop and goes towards home. Questioned my sanity but not bad, about .6 mi of hill, level, and an incline near the end. Was wondering how many ft this hill alone is, almost 100. It is beautiful out today! Went back out for a min, lost my gloves, thank goodness they were near the ending point! Will be taking it easy remainder of the day, hydrate, foam roll, use my Belifu TENS gadget, and maybe even do an ice bath! 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 35 miles scheduled, 38 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 159 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 11 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...