Sunday, March 1, 2020

Weekly Running Report: March 1, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)? Anyone do the Cowtown Marathon, Atlanta Marathon, or Hot Chocolate series? 
How did it go?

This was week 12 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me 04/25-26! (discount at bottom of post) :)


My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles before work. Oh Monday, we meet again. Sunday, sore from Saturday, did an ice bath, foam roll and used my Belifu TENS gadget. Could of used a better night's rest. Did have a couple drinks, but didn't over do it. Didn't want to go to bed yet. Will pay for that! Up before my alarm, but tired! Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Didnt feel like it. Out the door by 6. Settled in, pacing around 8. Legs felt heavy still, not sure how I got through my hill without fading more. Overall 8:15 ish, but felt sluggish. Pretty happy with that pace for how I felt. Hydrate all day and foam roll tonight for sure! As I was ending my run could see the sunrise, from one spot could see the actual sun start to rise at the horizon, a nice reward.

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, after a full day of being tired, made a point to get a better night's rest. In bed early, quality sleep, only up once, and again before my alarm. Still some slight congestion, but feeling refreshed. Coffee and workout (core and chest), and out the door by 6:30. Pace: felt like trying to push it today. Sub 7 and feeling good. Working on cadences and foot strike. Hill at .6, faded a bit. Another slight incline at the end, but maintained at 7. Took some exertion, but felt good.
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, ready for and in bed on time, but up a few times with restlessness. Up before my alarm, waited it out a bit. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), tired to start, but getting into a groove, felt good. Getting the heart rate up sure does help! Out the door by 6. Checking the weather, 45, but 99% humidity! Short sleeve day! Hat/gloves to start, but warmed up quickly. Was also misty out, ditched my glasses midway. Legs (calves, quads, glutes) still not fresh, felt the inclines early. Pacing 8 before my worst hill and knew maintaining that wouldn't be happening, 8:10 after. Gradually fading from then on. Could of easily faded to a more comfortable pace, but enjoying the struggle (definitely enjoyed more than Monday) and still added my short extreme hill and another incline. Hills have a purpose, or so I hope. :)
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, in bed just a few minutes late, but tossed/turned a bit. Up before my alarm, but waited it out. Coffee, workout (core and chest), got going. Stretch my back out and out the door by 6:30. Still some overall leg soreness (calves, quads, glutes), but was still going to give speed a whirl. Working on cadences and foot strike, got my pace down, but definitely felt it throughout. Thought about pulling back to a more comfortable pace, but hung in there.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, made a point to foam roll, use my Belifu TENS gadget, and get to bed early. Decent night's rest. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders) felt good, stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:05. TMI time: morning "routine" seemed to need a few more minutes and had me questioning if I can go outside for 45 minutes, made it, phew! Temps a bit brisk and felt great! Still some slight soreness, but much better. Pacing: felt good to start, 7:30, and settled in at 7:40's. Could feel the inclines before my midway hill, but still pacing ahead of schedule. Through my hill and still in the 7:50's. Knew I may fade a bit, but hung in there to maintain. Couple inclines and a short steep hill before the end, kept it under 8, success! Challenging, but fun! Completed the Strava monthly hill challenge - 2152 meters ascent (7060+ft) 
Saturday: 11 miles (scheduled for 10). Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, carb loaded, got my gear ready, relaxed and in bed early. Up a couple times, but a decent night's rest. Did sleep until my alarm. Coffee, routine, stretch, and at my trail by 6:45. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. The entire trail is about 5.25x2. Will be doing mid point to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back first and the more incline side to Rockledge Park and back second. Pace: Goal 8:30, planning on 8:20 until the incline side. Feeling good, settled in at 8:15. To ByBerry Rd there is a small hill at the end, picked up a few seconds on the way back. Fueled at 5 mi, made a point to hydrate as I pass my car at 5.5. Pacing at 8:10, but felt good. Feeling the incline a bit, but still maintaining. At the Rockledge Park end point, there is a dog park with a small loop and incline, over there to add the small hill. Heading back, pacing under 8:15. Felt good and was able to split a bit on the way back. Parking lot would of been about 10.7, turned around for two minutes and back to do 11. Scheduled for 10, could of cut a couple minutes at either end, but felt great, beautiful day at the trail, might as well do the entire thing and a few extra minutes. I don't do a lot of 11 milers, felt good most of the way, didn't realize this until later that was my my best 11 miler yet.
Full Pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1500. Saturday, hydrated, but failed to foam roll. Hydration eventually offset by a few drinks. Tried sleeping in for rest day, up a couple times, but made it to almost 8. 9 hours rest according to my watch! (some light, some restless included). Up and taking my time. Out the door after 9. Some overall soreness from yesterday, won't be going all out today. A few pace alerts under 7, but pulled back a notch at the hill at .6, and didn't over exert after. Slightly faster than planned, but not bad. Will be hydrating, foam rolling, use my Belifu TENS gadget, maybe an Epsom salt bath, and taking it easy today. Get ready for tomorrow's 7 miler. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 28 miles scheduled, 32 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 162 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 12 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Race Schedule: 



04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...