Sunday, February 11, 2018

Weekly Running Update: February 11th, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well! How's everyone's training going?

Couple days mixed up, but got my miles in!

Monday: 1 mile after work. I did my 50 min scheduled run for the day on Sunday and flipped Sunday rest day to today.  Sunday was the Super Bowl! Go Eagles! Definitely much needed rest after last night's Eagles win! Pinally! I would have taken off work today, but my backup already had it scheduled. It was a very long day. Lots of coffee and water. Through the motions for the streak day mile!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. A little more well rested than yesterday! A bit chilly, but not freezing, decided to go with lighter layers and work on breathing and pacing..  Felt pretty good overall.
Wednesday: 4 miles. Work from home day, lunch run. I slacked on foam rolling/stretching on Mon/Tues. Made a point to get it in today. We had some sleet/freezing rain overnight, early morning. It had warmed up a bit, but not enough by lunch time. Time to test out my new Yaktrax! I recently retired my Yaktrax Pro's and purchased the Runners. Will be sure to write a review at some point! At lunch time there was a light rain going, wanted to keep my upper body warm, may have overdressed, I was pretty hot! Had to shed my hat/gloves early! Felt safe with the yaktrax. They definitely require a bit of extra effort from the calves/quads (and maybe glutes). lol basically hind legs up!


Thursday: 3.11 miles.. early! Yesterday's ice was washed away last night, poured all day! Had my alarm set to get up early. But woke up in the middle of the night, thoughts of the day ahead, got up after tossing and turning for a bit. Was still feeling the extra effort from the yaktrax run, but got it done.
Thursday social activity: Eagles Superbowl parade! I have a few more pics on my IG if you want to check them out!
Friday: 5 miles after work. Foam rolled and stretched this morning, hydrated throughout the day. Wasn't really thinking about tonight's run, but it started out well and went with it.
Saturday: Long run day! 12 miles! Back to double digits, back to carb loading the night before. Friday night = pasta night! Also got two rounds of foam rolling in (morning and night). Good night's rest, up before my alarm. Worked for a few minutes to kill time. Had my coffee and light breakfast. Got to the trail (Pennypack Creek) around 7:30.  My trail is 5.25 miles (10.5 back and forth). Parked in the middle. Did the side with a gradual incline first. Back to the mid point, I turned around and did a few more minutes on that side. I fueled around the 45 min mark. Passed my car around 6 mi, hydrated a bit. Over to the other side that has a hill towards the end. Got to the end of that side, left the trail for a few minutes and did a lap around a nearby business complex, back to the trail, refueled around 1:30, hit 12 miles just before the parking lot. Goal was to start with an 8:20 pace and fade to about 8:40, was able to maintain my desired pace. Will probably let myself fade a bit more for the 13-14 milers.
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 750! Not sure if 1000 is my goal, but 3/4 way there! Woke up to pouring rain. Took my time getting out there. Overdressed a bit, but rather be hot when it's raining. Wanted to just get it over with, went with a 5k pace and worked on breathing. Felt good overall. Will take it easy remainder of the day. Hydrate, stretch, and relax!
This was week 8 of half marathon training. Using the training program below. 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
Future races registered for:
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here. 
  • 04/07/18 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k!! (15k) Join me using code “BRHCPHILLY18” to score a BONUS Hot Chocolate branded cap!  
  • https://www.hotchocolate15k.com/philadelphia
    Check out my Hot Chocolate 15k race preview post here! 
  • 04/14/18 - Newport Rhode Races! Half marathon. They do have 5k and full marathon options as well! Use code "BibRave" to save 10% on race entry!
runri.us/newport-race-info/
Check out my race preview post here! 
  • 05/06/18 - Broad Street Run!  Assuming I win the lottery! My 2017 review here. 
Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...