Sunday, September 30, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 15 - Weekly Running Update: Sept 30, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. How's everyone's training going? Doing any races, which ones? 

This was another week in marathon training, with an 18 miler. Have only done one 18 miler before, we'll see how this one goes!

My week in training: 

Monday: 6 miles.. before work? I really prefer 5+ runs to be at the trail, but I am also enjoying getting more runs done before work. Have to wake up slightly earlier to get 6 in. Tried to go to bed early, but have a 9pm show on Sunday nights. A few adult beverages for Sunday Funday, but hydrated enough after to be a non issue. Rested enough yesterday, my shin didn't bother me too much.
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Up early, half a cup coffee in before I realize it's raining. lol.. oh well. Time to get wet! It was light rain most of the way. Good thing I got in in early, forecast of heavier rain throughout the day. 8:10ish pace before the hills. 8:20 after. Shins still a bit tight, an occasional wince while running. Stretching before/after, and wearing KT tape.
Wednesday: 3.11 miles before work. Have to head into work early today, up even earlier to get my run in. Coffee, stretch, and out the door by 5:45. Tired, humid, but got it done.
Had to head down to Philly for our biannual disaster recovery test. I'm spoiled by a short commute, can certainly handle the long drive on occasion. Whenever I'm on Broad street, I reminisce about the Broad Street run! Was calculating where I'd be as I passed the starting area towards my destination.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Strength training day. Coffee, stretch, and then.. Core work/upper body done. Crunches, planks, leg raises, hip thrusts, curls, tri extensions, butterflies and push-ups. 1 mile around the hood. Saw the moon at the end of my run and sun at the end of my cool down!
Friday: 5 miles before work. Woke up a couple times before my alarm, could hear the rain. Thought about sleeping to my work alarm, but since its Friday, I really prefer to run in the morning instead of night due to running long first thing Saturday, wouldn't be much recovery in between. Up. Coffee, work out, and stretch, out the door before 6. Light rain, but flood warnings. Well, there were some streams and potholes full of water. Being dark out, rain, and no glasses, did the best I could to avoid the puddles, but submerged my left foot completely early. Cussed at first, but laughed it off. Pace was about 8:15 before the hills, 8:25 after, wasn't going to push hard to drop it. Should be an "easy" run before tomorrow anyway.
Saturday: 18 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Ruh roh, next bump up in the plan! Hydrated well yesterday, carb loaded, stretched, and went to bed early last night. Coffee, light breakfast, stretch and at the trail before 7. Met up with other trail regulars. Had a running partner for the day. Anthony was sched for 20 for the Marine Corp Marathon. He can certainly go faster than me, but let me dictate the pace. My goal was to do around 9:15. Started out at a comfortable talking pace around 9:05 and maintained throughout. A few aches here and there, but felt pretty good, we'll see if I say that again in a couple weeks for the 20 miler. In comparison to my one and only previous 18 miler, over a 45 second avg faster than last yr. 

My trail Pennypack Creek (5.25+ mi end to end). Basically getting closer to going back and forth (10.5+) x2)
Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood). Midpoint to the more wooded side with a hill at the end (Byberry Rd) and back. Pass the mid point (5.4mi) (hydrated at my car), to the more open side with a gradual incline to that end Rockledge Park, and back to the midpoint (hydrate at my car) and Byberry Rd and back, pass the midpoint (hydrate at my car) and head to the other side for about 1 and back to the mid point. 

I occasionally talk about pain, here is a bit more expanded and what I do to address that.  
My feet: a callous or something like that in the upper middle of my foot, feels like something is in my shoe, nope, starts to hurt after 10 or so. Able to eventually ignore that. My toes, no blisters today or in a bit, knock on wood. Will be taking good care of them. After yrs of running, I'm finally buying even bigger shoes, wear moisture wicking socks, and toe glide. Should also moisturize my feet a bit more.
Lower back: occasionally tightens up a bit, rolling, rolling, rolling, feels good! I try to roll morning and night, and as needed.
Shin/calf: tight earlier in the week, feels fine after 18 miles? I used KT tape and stretched all week. 
Hydrate and stretch the rest of the weekend. Hydrate a bit more if I offset it with other beverages. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day . Woke up a few times. One time I woke up and thought it was monday and I missed my alarm! lol.. Was up for good around 6:30. took my time getting ready. Coffee, stretch, and out the door around 8. Working on pacung annd breathing through the first hill, started out a bit fast  the first min (sub 7), took it back a notch and kept with it remainder of the way.  
Sunday was also new show day! Saucony NYC Kinvara 9. Saw these on facebook, and the facebook algorithm got me. They kept popping up in my feed after my reaction, and I just had to have them. Will try to get 50 miles or so on them including a long run or few. Will also try to keep them clean for race day. ;)
This was week 15 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled miles  36 / completed 39.
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled 60 min/completed 75
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here! Race day is next week! Will move my daily runs up and try to get a short taper in there. Last yr I didnt respect the course or weather and went out hard and failed. Will respect the course and contain myself from doing that again!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 15% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon! Check out my preview, here! 

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...