Monday, October 8, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 16 - Weekly Running Update: October 7, 2018


Hi Everyone!

How's everyone doing? Hope all is well. Anyone do any races or have one coming up? Which one?

This was a marathon training cutback week, scheduled for 26 miles with a long run of 10. ArmyTenMiler for my long run on Sunday! Will try to front load my miles early in the week and a do a two day taper before race day. We'll see how that went!

My week in training:

Monday: 5 miles before work. Woke up just before my alarm, considered turning it off and sleeping till my work alarm. Up. Dragged myself to my coffee. Coffee, slow workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Was tired to start, but the slightly cool air helped. 8:15 pace before the hills, 8:25 after. Didn't think I'd get it down, but was feeling better. Plan to hydrate well and go to bed early.
Tuesday: 6 miles before work. Yesterday, I made a point to get some better rest. Hydrated plenty, cutback on afternoon coffee, and was getting ready for bed by 8:30, in bed by 9. Good night's rest. Woke up naturally before my alarm. Coffee, work out, stretch, our the door with a few extra minutes. Feeling pretty decent most of the way, decided to get another mile in. If it wasn't for work, I would have kept on going... lol
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Up before my alarm, but not as well rested today. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Last week, my shin/calf were a bit tight at times, fine the past few days, could feel it tightening up again. 8:18ish before the hills, 8:30 after, decided to not over do it after the hills. Will be stretching and using KT tape. 16 miles for the week, have some time to recover before race day.
Thursday: 2 miles before work. Strength training day. A a few more reps than usual. Crunches, planks, leg raises, push ups, butterflies, curls, and tri extensions. Stretch, and out for a short run. Worked on breathing and pacing, feeling good, fun times! 
Friday: 1 mile. Day off from work. Scheduled the day off a long time ago, am glad I did. Hectic week at work, would probably forget to pack something. Up at my normal time, but taking my time. Coffee, work out, and out for 1 mi. Working on pacing and breathing, but backed off a bit from yesterday. Felt good, but can tell i could use some more stretching and KT tape before this weekend's race. A few light chores today and pack for my trip to D.C.!
Saturday: 1 mile. Road trip in a bit, goal to hit the road before 8. Set my alarm to get up at my normal time. Coffee, stretch, and out the door by 6:30. Mile around the neighborhood. Pacing, breathing, but not over doing it. Was out the door by 7:45 for my road trip. Off to Va to visit family before staying at a buddy's for tomorrow's race. 
Sunday: 10 miles. Race day, the Army Ten Miler! The race and ends at the Pentagon, goes around multiple monuments. This is a bit of a redemption race for me. I didn't research/respect the course or weather last yr and went out hard for a PR. Regretted it most of the second half. A few pics from today, a full review should be posted within the week. 
This was week 16 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled miles  26 / completed 30
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled 60 min/completed 90
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 15% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon! Check out my preview, here! 

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here. 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...