Sunday, October 21, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 18 - Weekly Running Update: October 21, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone do any races or training for one? Which one? Any recent bling to show off? Let's see it!

This was week 18 of marathon training for me. 27 weekly scheduled miles, with a long run of 10. Going to front load the week a bit to get a few days taper. This was also a race week for me. Cutting my 10 miler a bit short, 9.3, I know, I'm such a slacker. Doing a 5k and then a 10k shortly thereafter. The "5 and dime" at Runner's World Half Marathon Festival!

My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles. Sunday was rest day, after Saturday's 20 miler. Rested well yesterday. Actually felt pretty good this morning, considering. Day off from work, but plans in a bit. Slept in a few minutes, out the door around 7:30. Scheduled for 5. Feeling much better than expected, and enjoying the weather. Decided since I had time, would add another mile (or two). Haven't done a 7 miler around my neighborhood in a long time, definitely prefer trails for that, but the hills were manageable and felt pretty good.
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Monday was a full day, could of used a few more min sleep. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Cooler out, didn't think I needed gloves. A few minutes in, I could of used them, lol.. Warmed up after a few min. Calves and shins a little tight towards the end. Will be sure to stretch, hydrate, and wear KT Tape.
Wednesday: 3.11 miles before work. A bit cooler out this morning. Started out with hat and gloves this time. Shins/calves still a bit tight, but feeling better than yesterday.
Thursday: 1 mile. Strength training day, plus one for the streak. Run streak day 999! Thinking about breathing and pacing before I started, pushed it through the first hill and remainder of the way. Felt good.
Friday: 1 mile before work. Well, for a 1 miler, I was a bit tired. My on-call week for work. 3rd shift contacted me, had to work from 1-3, a few min at 4, and gave up trying to sleep around 5. Coffee, and there will be plenty today. Work out, and out the door around 6:15. The cool air helped. Tried not to over do it. Will be hydrating, stretching, and using KT tape. Race day tomorrow!

Run streak day 1000! 1000 straight days of at least 1 mi. Will probably do a separate post at some point, but first and foremost, have to thank my wife. Couldn't have done it without her support and toleration. I'm sure the question of when will I get my run in when making plans can be a pain sometimes. Secondly, have to thank the #RWRunstreak facebook group, BibRave, and all of my followers. The support of the running community is amazing!
Saturday: 9.3 miles. (5k + 10k). The "5 and dime" A couple pics below, will have a separate post recapping the day. Had a blast!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. streak day 1,002. Would have been a great day to sleep in, but up at my normal time. coffee, stretch, and out the door around 8. Feeling yesterday's hills a bit, not over pushing it today. When I stepped outside, the weather was fine, for a few minutes. Didn't take the wind seriously, it picked up as soon as I left. Lol.. should have worn hat/gloves! Glad it was 1 mile day! Unfortunately, have to do yard work on this "rest day". Will later up for that, for sure!
This was week 18 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled miles  27 / completed 27
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled 60 min/completed 90
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
Next up, oh my!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here. 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...