Sunday, December 16, 2018

Weekly Running Update: December 16, 2018


Hi Everyone!

How's everyone's training going? Anymore races this year? Ready to start training for Spring?

This was my last week before starting a 20 week training program. I knew the program started near the holidays, for some reason I thought I had one more weak. May have cut back this week if I realized training starts tomorrow. lol..oh well. The first few weeks may actually be a reduction in miles anyway.

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6.22 miles before work. Sunday was rest day, and also happened to be my birthday. Plenty of relaxing. Out for dinner/drinks, etc. Went to bed early. Did not get a good night sleep though, up early tossing/turning. That's it, I'm up. coffee, workout, and knew I would  have a few min if I wanted to go a bit further. Usually do 4-5 on Mon. Was a bit chilly, but felt pretty good overall.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. Seemed to be a usual 5k for me until mile 2. Part of my neighborhood runs are along on a couple busy roads, by some businesses, etc. Found a kid's bike nowhere near anyone's house. Definitely found it to be odd. Continued on. After my 5k, returned to the bike. Was definitely there overnight, as there was frost on it. All I could think of was the bike was either stolen and dropped or something worse. Called the police township number.
Wednesday: 4 miles. TMI warning! Tuesday was a snack day at work. Shortly after work, started to feel nauseous. Food poisoning? Did not look good. Went to bed early, not a good night sleep. Felt slightly better this morning, but tired and achy. Coffee, short workout. Went through the motions for my 4, but a bit achy overall. Didn't feel like I was going to get sick yet, 20 min later, it happened. Didn't want to force the issue last night, hoping sleep would help. Started to feel better after getting it out.
Thursday: 1 mile. Got a good night's rest. Went to bed at a reasonable hr and able to sleep in a few minutes since I had a work from home day. A few minutes, but not as late as I was going for. Got rid of that stomach bug yesterday. Strength training day and one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,055.  Started out around 7:30 and maintained it under 8 throughout, felt good.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thursday was my company's holiday party, had a couple beverages but did not over indulge. Got a good nigh't sleep. Up before my alarm. Coffee, workout, foam roll, and out the door around 6. Felt pretty decent before starting. First mi under 8. 8:15 after the hills, and maintained under 8:20 throughout. Occasionally felt mentally tired, but the run itself felt great. The weather was 40 and humid. Fingers a bit cold, but nice/warm overall. Will be sure to meet my hydration goal for the day before tomorrow's "long" run.
Saturday: 10+ miles. "Long" run day, yay! Carb loaded, relaxed, and a good night sleep last night. No plans later in the day. May sleep in a few min? If 5:15 is sleeping in, then yeah, I guess so. Coffee, foam roll, etc. Today's forecast was mid/upper 40's, but rain all day. Dressing for it to be a bit cool, but not cold. Took my time getting ready. As I was heading out, rain was just a mist. At my trail around 7:15. A few min later than usual.. As I was starting, I questioned if I would really need my hat/gloves. Started with them. Ditched them early! My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more wooded side to Byberry Rd first. Started a bit slow, then a bit fast, leveled out at 8:20. From that end and back, stopped at mile marker 4.75-4.50 for a few pics. Resumed. Head back to the mid point. Was much warmer than expected, decided to shed a few items as I passed my car to hydrate. 8:25 pace at mid point. Resumed to the other side. More gradual incline on the way to Rockledge Park. 8:35 at that end. Worked on breathing/pacing on the way back to get it back under 8:30. Run felt pretty good overall today.
Full trail pics here.
Sunday: 1 mile. "Rest day". One for the streak. Run Streak day 1,058. "Slept in" till 6! Plenty of rain still in the forecast, took my time getting ready. Weather was windy, misty, and slightly chilly. This is how I thought yesterday was going to be, but lucked out. Started out slightly fast, but reduced to a comfortable pace. 


Weekly Miles: 30+ miles
Weekly Strength Training: 90 minutes

Fall Schedule: 
With the TCS NYC Marathon/and Philly Marathon coming to it's conclusion, so does my race schedule. Depending on how recovery goes, may squeeze in a fun run in before winter. Will be sure to let you know! 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here. 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon? Training starts tomorrow! Will let you know once I'm registered! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...