Sunday, February 24, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 10 - Weekly Running Update: February 24, 2019

Hi Everyone!

hope you are doing well.


How's everyone's training going? Any recent races or training for one, which one(s)?


This week, I am mixing up my schedule a bit. Scheduled for 25 weekly miles, long run of 8. I signed up for a 5 mi race on Saturday, will try to front load my week a bit and taper if possible. We'll see how that goes. 


Q: How do you handle weekly miles when you have a race shorter than your scheduled "long run" ? 


My Week in Training: 


Monday: 11 miles!? Yes, "only" scheduled for 5, but did 11. Day off from work helped. Sunday, rested, hydrated, did have a few drinks, but ok this morning. Slept in till 6. ;) Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and over to the trail around 8. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood) To the more wooded side (ByBerry Rd) and back. Fueled at 5 mi. Hydrated as I passed my car at 5.25. Pacing at the mid point 8:32. Over to the more gradual incline towards Rockledge Park and back. Faded to 8:36. Didn't feel much energy to push it on the way back on the decline as I sometimes do. Overall could still feel Saturday's 14 miler, calves a bit tight, but decent overall. Happy to get a head start on this week's miles! 

Trail pics are from mile markers .75-.50. Getting close to being done capturing 5.25-0.0 every .25!
Full Pics
Tuesday: 4 miles before work. In bed by 9:30, but not a good night's sleep. Up several times, and up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6:05. Temps 24, wind chill 19. No issues with the temp. Plan was to pace around 8:30. Through mile 1, 8:10, through worst of the hills 8:20. ok. going to try to maintain there. faded a bit. Feeling yesterday, but better than expected.

During my cool down, a random neighbor stopped me to tell me she sees me everyday and finds it inspiring, wishes she could do that. I thanked her, and let her know it all started with a walk. Hope that helps inspire further.
Wednesday: 3.11 miles before work. This is where it's good to write things down before you forget. I don't remember two days ago, busy at work and didn't circle back after. I do remember posting tired and tight shins/calves. Well, according to my watch 5.25 hrs sleep (10-4), my goal is 7 (or close to). Coffee/work out/foam roll, out the door by 6:10. Mile 1 8:18 before the hills. Usually lose 10 after the hills. Maintained. Right shin and calf tight, can't be from changing my schedule could it, nah.. Will be wearing KT Tape, CEP compression socks, and stretching (at least a bit) for a few days.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Went to bed on time, but slept until my alarm and was a bit tired to get started. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out around 6:10. Snow run! Snowed yesterday 10-4, followed by 3 hrs of freezing rain. A nice ice coating on top! The roads were plowed and warmed up overnight, center of the road was clear, but sides and sidewalks not so much. A normal 1 miler, I would try for 7:30-8 pace. Had to use an alternate route with more hills, plus yaktrax. KT Tape and compression socks since yesterday, feeling slightly better, but could feel the hills. Pacing 8:15 down to 8:10. 
Friday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's rest, in bed on time, but woke up a few times throughout, up at my normal time. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, out the door by 6:15. All that snow from Wed, gone! 50 degrees and sun will do that! Dressed comfortably. Able to do my normal 1 mi route. Up hill, level, down hill, uphill, level, incline. Goal was to pace at a comfortable 8. 2 min mark at 7:45, maintain and comfortable 7:50's. Maybe too comfortable, lost track of pace. Felt good most of the way, right shin/calf could feel it at the end.
Saturday: 5 miles. The Fireside Frostbite 5 Miler. Sorry.. no race day details. Race day info will be in a separate post! 
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Rest day. Usually just one for the streak, and only needed one to get my weekly miles in. Legs feeling good for a Sunday. Usually feel Sat long run, but since the schedule was mixed up this week, feeling better than usual for a Sunday. Felt like playing in the rain. Coffee, hydrate, foam roll, out the door a bit after 8. Goal was to pace 8:15-8:30. Mile 1, 8:00, 8:15 after the worst hills. Comfortably paced to maintain. 38 degrees and misty, felt good. Plan to take it easy, hydrate, and get a good night's rest before tomorrow's 7 miler.
This was week 10 marathon training, (a variation this week) using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 25 mi / completed 27 mi 
Strength training: scheduled 80 min/ completed  114 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 


Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...