Sunday, February 10, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 8 - Weekly Running Update: February 10, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. How's everyone's training going? Any races recently or coming up, which ones? How's weather treating you? We had a few spring like days, but it's back to reality here in SE PA.

This was week 8 of marathon training for me. 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. This was my first 7 miler around my neighborhood in a long time, and the first time doing it before work. Was not looking fwd to it for multiple reasons. 1. My neighborhood has plenty of hills, prefer trails as distance goes up. 2. Already getting up early, have to ensure that I am, so I can be done and cleaned up before work (7:15). 3. Am trying to get a good night's rest for morning runs, but Sunday was the Super Bowl. Stayed up past my bed time, but didn't get crazy, behaved myself beer wise. Up before my alarm, started to toss and turn, but then started thinking I could get ahead of schedule. ok, I'm up. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, out the door before 6. Today's goal was to maintain my comfortable pace beginning to end, don't get tempted to push it early. First minute alert was slow, second was fast, then settled in. Worst of the hills, faded to 8:35, but able to get it back. Maintained my 8:30 pace throughout. Wasn't looking fwd to today since I saw it on my schedule, but wasn't bad.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Monday night, got an excellent night's sleep. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Based on how I was feeling beforehand, was planning/hoping to do a comfortable 8:15 5k pace. Mile 1 felt good. worst of the hills went up to 8:22. Worked on breathing/pacing to get it back down and maintain, then I heard the alert at 8:12 with .6 to go. Pushed it slightly harder to get it to 8:10. Overall, felt great.
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Tues, was up slightly past my bed time. Actually slept until my alarm clock this morning, a rarity. Tired and groggy. Coffee, slow start to my workout but got it done in time, foam roll, hydrate, and out the doory by 6. Initially, thought this was going to be a through the motions type of day. Trying to keep a positive attitude, try to get the circulation going, at least work on breathing/pacing/cadences. Well, that did the trick. Felt great most of the way.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Last night, got a little bit of extra rest. "Accidently" took a nap after dinner. We had a movie on that I clearly had no interest in. lol.. Went to bed a few min later than usual and took a few min to fall back to sleep, but definitley got some extra rest. Felt refreshed. Coffee, workout, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door. 1 mile day, I base most of my effort on the first few alerts. My run starts with a slight hill. I could sense early that it would be over doing it a bit to try for 7:30. Decided to pace and maintain for 7:45.
Friday: 5 miles before work. decent night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll. Was a few min late heading out. Goal is to start by 6. Was a few min late, TMI: "morning routine" a few min off. Not feeling completely energized/limber, goal was to do 8:20 pace, but without overdoing it. First mile felt better than expected. Going into the hills in mi 1-2, trying to pace and conserve energy, 8:25 after the worst of the hills. Working on breathing through and after, got it back to 8:20. Light rain started, but temps were nice. Started to feel invigorating. Felt good most of the way. 5 min late to work, but I blame my routine, not running. lol..
Saturday: 12 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! The past week, we have experienced spring like weather. 30's in the am, 50's in the afternoon. Well, that came to an end! lol... Back to reality, winter running. Today's temps low 20's with a wind chill in the single digits. A few different layers than the past few days. Went to bed early, good night's rest. Up way before my alarm. Taking my time to get over there around 7 ish. Coffee, light breakfast, foam roll, hydrate. Over to the trail closer to 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Mid parking lot (Welsh and Terwood Rd). Did the more wooded side first (to Byberry Rd) and back. Pacing was 8:25 to about mid point. (5 mi). Fueled at around 5.5. Bumped into an old friend that was going in the opposite direction. Turned around. (I have to make up 1.5 ish somewhere anyway). Did a couple miles from the mid point towards Byberry again, talking a bit. A bit further than what I would have to make up. Eventually parted ways and turned back. Pacing at 8:34. Back towards mid point. Passed my car at 8 mi (usually 5.25), failed to hydrate. I keep saying this, I need to work on hydrating. Towards the more gradual incline for 2 (fueling again at 10 mi) and back. Pace faded a bit more. Worked on cadences a bit, but seemed like an 8:40 pace day.
Pics are from mile markers 1.25-1.0 (link for full trail pics).
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,114. Slow to get moving. Slept in until 6:45. Joints cracking before even stretching. Coffee, hydrate, stretch and foam roll. Not feeling very limber, felt like it was going to be a 7:45-8 pace day. Stepped out. Started practicing breathing before taking off. First short/step hill, alert shortly after started with a 6. Ok, I'm pushing it today. Worked on cadences throughout. Faded and felt it, but felt great to get some speed work in. A few light chores today, will rest after. Chance of snow tonight. Hopefully tomorrow's run isn't impacted too much. 
This was week 8 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 31 mi / completed 33 mi
Strength training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 107 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 


Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...