Sunday, March 17, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 13 - Weekly Running Update: March 17, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well. How are you adjusting to Daylight Savings Time? Rough mornings, adjusting? or taking advantage of extra daylight at night? I am trying stay a morning person, at least for now. This is how it went..

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday was daylight savings day and rest day. I rested plenty. But going to bed, tossed and turned, took longer than preferred. Mixed in with waking up at 1 for a bit. That 5 am alarm was a bit rough. Coffee, work out went fine. Hydrate and foam roll. Head out by 6. Was not as tired/groggy as I expected. Pacing: goal 8:30. Settled in the 8:20's before/8:25 after the hills. TBH, today went much better than expected for the dreaded time change. Oh, and I'm back to running in the dark! lol.. begin to see daylight around 6:45..
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Slightly better night's sleep, but still sleeping until my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Feeling pretty decent, brisk air felt nice, wanted to work on cadences to get the blood flowing a bit more. Didn't expect to maintain the entire way, but.. 7:40 before/7:50 after the worst hill. 7:45 overall. A couple more decent hills around 2.25 maintained through. Definitely felt better and more amped up than expected. 
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. I've been trying to make a point to get a good night's rest, that and DST still affecting me, should have been in bed early. Did not happen. Went to bed at a decent time, but couldn't shut my mind off. Tossed and turned. Slept for a few hours, but woke up at 4 to use the rest room. That was it, couldn't sleep anymore, personal stuff still on my mind keeping me up. Coffee. Work out. Took my time getting ready. Out the door by 6. Goal was to take it easy, pace around 8:20. Felt decent. 8:15/8:20 before/after hills. Comfortable, maintained at 8:20 throughout. Goal is to definitely get some rest tonight. Wish me luck!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. A better night's rest, finally! In bed by 9 and asleep right away. Up a few min before my alarm. Still a bit groggy at 5 am, but getting better. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6:10. Pace: goal 7:30-7:45. Worked on cadences, first few alerts were around 7:15. Maintained to avg 7:22. Felt pretty decent without over exerting too much.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Decent night's rest. In bed by 9:30 and asleep right away, awake around 4, up and moving around 4:30. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. 50 degrees with a chance of light rain?! Still went with long sleeves. Didn't bother with the hat/gloves. Pacing: Goal was to take it easy and settle in around 8:20. Felt better than expected, 8:10/8:15 before/after the worst hill. Was comfortable. Did get pretty warm, probably could of gone with short sleeves!
Saturday: 20 miles (scheduled for 18? (I may be skipping a 20, replaced it with 2-20's! lol..) I've had this date circled for a while now. I have plans today. Calculated that I would have time to do my long run, but have to get there a few min early, start on time, hopefully no unexpected delays (you know, stomach issues) and no dilly dallying after. Will have to keep on moving after my run to get ready for my plans after. We'll see how that goes... 
In bed by 9:30, up before my alarm. Coffee, light breakfast, foam roll. At my trail a few minutes before daylight. There was already a run group there starting out, a few had head lamps! 
My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the side towards Rockledge Park first (more gradual incline side). and back. Fueling every 5 mi, hydrating every 5.25 mi (each time passing my car). Over towards the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back to the more gradual incline side and back. 16 mi 3rd time passing my car, street light and heavy traffic toward Byberry Rd skipped waiting for the light and turned around to the gradual incline side again (3rd time) for 2 mi and back.
Starting out, still a bit dark, but I know there will be light any min, enough blue light to go into the woods. lol. While it was still dark, saw a couple deer! I couldn't tell at first, hoping it was, but I could tell as i got closer! Warm yesterday, but rain broke the temps. Temp was a bit cool to start. Hat and gloves on/off through most of the run. Pacing: goal was to pace 9:00-9:09 (4 hr marathon pace). Paced 8:55 through 16. 16-18 faded to 9. 18-20 faded to 9:06. Still feeling the slow down at 16 and some tightness at 18. Hopefully still making some progress.. 
Full Pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest Day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1,149. Up around 6:15, probably could have slept another hr if I wanted to. Nah, I'm up! Coffee, read the news (play on internet). Hydrate and stretch. Out around 7:30. Only 1 turn to get to the beach! 1 mi day, took it easy. Turned around when I got there, finished just before coming back across the causeway bridge. Will be along the beach later this week. ;) 
Today's background pic may look slightly different. In Florida for a few days. Visiting family, enjoying weather, and a couple Phillies spring training games. Will be busy today, hope to rest somewhat. 

This was week 13 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 36 mi / completed 40 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 105 min
Foam roll:  6 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 


Race Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...