Sunday, March 10, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 12 - Weekly Running Update: March 10, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well. How's your winter training going? Any weather issues? Ready for spring races? Which ones? 


My Week in Training: 

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, there was a forecast of 6 inches of snow. 40 degrees most of the day, thought there would be a chance it would all be rain. Rain eventually turned into heavy wet snow. Didn't get 6 inches, but enough to be an inconvenience. Went to bed early. Woke up in the middle of the night, saw we got a decent amount of snow. Had issues sleeping after that, maybe anxiety. Up around 4. Coffee, worked out, hydrate, foam roll and out the door by 5:30. The plows just started my street a few min before me. We passed each other the entire way! First 3 miles went well, zig zagging my streets. Made the mistake of leaving my neighborhood for the loop around. First couple blocks were businesses that were plowed, but after that, sidewalks that haven't been touched yet, went into the street a few times, but traffic wouldn't permit that. My least fav hill half, mi up through the snow. I try not to cuss at it as I pass a church/school. Key word try. Pacing 8:30 before the hill, 8:40 after, feeling sat long run/hills/snow, I remained there. Shoveling post run before work, more fun. 

Tuesday 3.11 miles before work. Decent night's rest. Up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll. Out the door by 6. 6 am and there is daylight, yay! Going to miss the early sunrise when DST changes this weekend, but am looking forward to more daylight after work. It was a bit chilly this morning, 15 with a feel of 19, but layered properly and no wind, no issue at all. Roads treated well yesterday. No yaktrax needed. There was some black ice to keep an eye out for though. Just after mile 1, wraps around a defunct business about .2 of solid/crunchy snow before the hill. Pacing 8:10-8:20 after the hill, back down. In mile 2 passed three houses in a row on a busy rd that didn't do any shoveling. Shame on them! (I may have cussed as I ran by)
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Could of used more sleep. Went to bed early, woke up at 3 for a while and fell back to sleep. Rough to start. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll. Double checked weather, bit chilly! Couldn't find my 2nd pair of gloves! Wasted a few min looking. Out the door around 6:10. Cold, but bearable. Through the motions. 8:26 after the worst hill, able to bring it back to 8:20. I never used my backup gloves, they just came along for the ride. 
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Could of used a little more sleep, but up a few min before my alarm. Coffee, work out (slowly), hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6:15. Goal was to take it easy, I did. 1 mile loop goes along a busy rd, at least 2 houses haven't shoveled since Sunday snowfall, hard snow/ice. May have cussed at their house as I passed by. Pace was 7:55 to 8:05. Thought about pushing it to maintain at least an 8, but didn't bother. 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Decent night's sleep. Went to bed early after running errands after work. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Pacing slightly better than expected. A little tired, not too limber, was expecting closer to 8:30. 8:10 before, 8:20 after the hills. Bringing it back to 8:15 remainder of the way. Sometimes you feel better during the actual run than what you think beforehand.
Saturday: 10 miles. Decent night' sleep. Didn't go to bed as early as I usually do on a Fri night, but still woke up early. Coffee, foam roll , hydrate. Ahead of schedule, took my time getting over to the trail by 7. My neighborhood still has a coating of ice covered snow, expecting the trail to be worse, packed my yaktrax. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the slightly harder side to Rockledge Park first to mix it up. Gradual incline most of the way and decline back. A couple bridges still had some ice, rest of this side of the trail was clear of snow/ice! Fueled at 5 mi, hydrate as I pass my car at 5.25. Over to the more wooded side towards Byberry Rd and back. The more wooded side had a few patches of ice to be aware of, but not bad. Pacing: avg was around 8:30 most of the way through 7. 8:32 a couple times, but regrouped. After the turnaround from Byberry Rd, worked on cadences a bit more, splits on the way back. My 10th mi was my fastest. Felt great!    
Full Pics
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,142. Tired, slow to get up. With the time change was up at 7. Coffee, took my time getting ready reading the news/playing on the internet. Hydrate, foam roll, and out the door around 8:30. Pouring rain overnight supposed to taper off, still pretty steady. Worked on breathing trying to psych myself to get off my front porch. Worked on cadences, a bit chilly, but the rain was invigorating! Plan to take it easy remainder of the day. Hope the rain washes away the rest of the snow! 
This was week 12 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 28 mi / completed 30 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ 105 completed min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 


Race Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...