Sunday, December 22, 2019

Weekly Running Report: December 22nd, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!

How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one?

This was Week 2 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. On Monday, the week looked like it may be a good one (or at least decent), later thrown off by a sinus cold. Probably should of rested a little more to start but stubbornly powered through. Would you of done the same?

My Week In Training:

Monday:  5+ miles (45 minute timed run). Day off from work, recent vaca, scheduled an extra day to catch up on weekend chores. Well, slept in. Felt good! Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders). Eventually over to my trail. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park and back. Did the little hill around Rockledge Park. Comfortable pace to start, but faded along the incline, pacing around 8:38 at the turnaround. Worked on cadences and splits on the way back. 8:25 avg just near the end. Could feel my shins at the beginning, eventually stretched out/non-issue.
Miscellaneous Cardio: 1 hour of yard work. Could of done more, saving it till tomorrow.
Tuesday: 1 mile. Extra day off from work scheduled (end of yr time to burn). Thank goodness. Woke up achy and congested. Painful coughs. Did get some rest, 10 hrs! Eventually up, tried to stretch the pain away, but sore. Did a light workout (core and chest) and eventually head out for one and done for the streak. Started out a bit faster than planned and backed off to be somewhat comfortable. Oh, it was raining to add to the fun. Actually thankful for the rain. Was going to do more yard work today, easier to say no to that. Rested remainder of the day.
Wednesday: 6 miles. Tues, made a point to get a good night's rest. A few quality hours, but up around 3 and tossed/turned from then on. Tired, but meds may cause some anxiousness. Up around 4:30. Sore, but slightly better than yesterday. Congested to start. Workout (core and arms/shoulders) and out the door around 6. Was chilly before stepping out, added an extra layer. Settled in. 8:20-8:30's but slipping. More relaxed pace through the hills and my extreme hill at the end. TMI time: cleared congestion along majority of the way. Steam shower after to clear a bit more. Painful cough yesterday, slightly better today.
In other news, I realized I lost a glove! Oh no! And it's going to be even colder tomorrow! Love my gloves, had a nice backup pair that I eventually lost. I later on drove around and found the missing glove! Still need to buy a pair of backups tho.
Looking back: I think I may have still been in denial about being sick before heading out for Wed run, that and/or just stubborn.
Thursday: 1 mile. Tried again to get a good night's rest. Even worse than the night before. Stuffy, coughing, sneezing. Tossed and turned the entire night. My watch says I got almost 5 hours sleep with almost 3 motionless, I think that's a lie. Seemed like I looked at the clock every hour. Up before my alarm, moving slowly. Light workout (core and chest). Out the door by 6:15. Through the motions. Oh, and it was cold! Cold air and steam shower helped with the chest congestion, but sneezing plenty today.
Friday: 5 miles. Thursday, continued sneezing throughout the morning. Cleared up just before bed, actually got a good night's rest! Only woke up a couple times to cough, but I'm usually up a couple times anyway. Not 100% this morning, but making progress. Light workout (core and arms/shoulders) and out the door by 6:10. Cold air in sinuses/lungs, a cool burn! But breathing is progress. Pacing: aimed for a 8:30 pace, that was blown early, so was 8:45. 9 and hanging on. Legs definitely got heavy towards the end.
Saturday: 8 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Well, I'm just glad it was "only" 8 miles scheduled for today. Between recovering from a cold and it being cold out, was just looking to get it over with. Glad it wasn't a double digit run later in the plan. Fri, recovery went well for the most part, a few coughing spells, but progress. Got a good night's rest. Woke up with some congestion, but able to clear that out before go time. Chilly today. 20 to start, going up a degree or two per hour. Usually at my trail by sunrise, but taking my time, 7:15 ish. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back first. Going with a comfortable pace today. 8:45-9. Usually single digit long run days I may push it a bit, but not this week. Comfortable pace. Settled in early. Cold, but warmed up early. Once back to the mid point parking lot (5.25), did the more gradual incline side for about 1.3 and back. Calc'd my turn around about .2 over, started to walk that cool down, but it was chilly. Knew I may have frost in my beard, didn't realize there was an icicle hanging from my hat! lol.. This is just the beginning of winter!
Speaking of winter, starting to look like winter at the trail as well. Less people, more quiet with nature. The packed gravel is solid like concrete, the lack of greenery really opens things up, rock walls with frozen runoff is pretty cool (didn't expect to see that just yet, need to get pics later, didn't feel like stopping, promise I will at some point!).
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1429. Saturday, took it easy after my run. No physical chores (unlike most weekends). Up a few minutes past 10, but planned on sleeping in today. Up at 3 with a cough, then slept till about 8. Chest congestion to start, and a bit sore (left shin, right calf, glutes, hips, lower back, everything is wonderful! lol.. ) Slowly moving this morning, foam rolled and stretched. Out the door around 10. Planned to do a comfortable pace. First pace alert was faster than expected (started with a 6), pulled back and faded to 8. Sore, but comfortable. Hacking cough at the end. Fun times! I swear my sinus cold is getting better, this lingering cough has to go! Plan to take it easy the remainder of the day.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 24 miles scheduled / 27 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 112 minutes completed
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 2 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.

marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I have registered for the full. They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options as well. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...