Sunday, June 9, 2019

Weekly Running Report: June 9, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well!

How's training going? Any recent races or ones coming up? 

How do you handle days when you've lost sleep? Suffer through or reschedule?

I had two days this week where I lost sleep, thankfully they weren't on "long" run day.

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, rested plenty, hydrated and was then offset with a couple drinks. In bed early, but not a great night's rest. Woke up almost hourly. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and out the door by 6. Temps were great! A couple minutes into my run.. My pace alerts (usually set to every minute) were not going off... Little concern that I may over do it or slow down, but not concerned enough to pullover to check it out/reboot. Settled in to my comfortable hm pace (usually 8:30), working on cadences most of the way. A lot more counting in my head than usual. lol. I was still getting alerts for every mi from my watch (just not minutes from my phone) On target the entire way. Had some concern I would lose pace through the hills (worst hill is mid way) and not regain without the alerts, but was a non issue.  It was a bit humid out (92%), but with the temps it wasn't that bad. Felt pretty good for a Monday.
Monday night:  3.11 miles after work. Yup, twofer today! Trying to have a few more 40 mile weeks before the plan calls for it. It all starts with Monday! Hydrated plenty during the day. Temps still comfortable. Quads were heavy most of the way. Pace was better than expected to start. But slowed down through the hills. Overall 8:20, was expecting to be around 8:30. So I'll take it!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Hydrated, foam rolled, and went to bed early last night. Well rested! Coffee, workout, hydrate, light stretching, and out the door by 6:05. The temps were still great! 5k day, sometimes push it a little bit, didn't expect much today after 9 yesterday. Quads a bit heavy, but not as bad as yesterday afternoon. Ahead of pace after 1 before the worst hill (1.2-1.7), backed off slightly and worked on cadences through the hill. Pushed it to bring it back down afterward and remainder of the way. It was work to bring it back and maintain at 8, but felt good! (and fun)
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Excellent night's sleep. Up before my alarm. Work out coffee, stretch, and out the door by 6. Somewhat comfortable early. Legs a little heavy, got heavier as the inclines added up before my worst hill. Heavy legs rest of the way. Exertion to maintain.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Thankful it was one mile day. In bed on time. But a work on-call issue. Up from 1-3:30. Tried to go back to bed at 3:30, tossed and turned. Maybe slept a few minutes before the alarm. Coffee (there will be plenty today) workout, and out the door by 6:15. Started out a bit fast, but then backed off. It's going to be a zombie like day, didn't want to over do it. I even wore a cotton shirt to reflect my feelings. meh.  lol...
Friday: 5 miles before work. Went to bed early Thurs with good intentions. Well, unfortunately had another on-call issue with work. Up from 12:40-2:20. Was able to fall asleep a bit easier than the previous night. Up just before my alarm. Coffee, workout, hydrate, and out the door by 6. May have been tired, but felt better than Wed. Able to get into my comfortable pace, until the hills. But still felt better than Wed. 
Saturday: 16 miles (scheduled for 7) After lack of sleep the past couple night's and my on-call rotation being over for work, was sure to get a good night's rest. Still set my alarm though. Prefer to get started early before the temps rise. Coffee, hydrate, foam roll my back out, and at my trail by 6:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side first to Rockledge Park. Settled into my pace early. Humid, drenched early. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrated at 5.3 as I passed my car. Pace at 9. There's a light before going to the other side, ran in a couple circles and then off to the other side to ByBerry Rd. A couple slight inclines, but not bad, a small hill before Byberry Rd. On the way back from Byberry Rd (around 8 mi mark), I start picking up a couple seconds, but didn't want to over do it. Had some energy, but didn't want to burn out early. Fueling a couple minutes before hydrating at my car at 10.5. Pace 8:58. Back to Rockledge Park. I always expect to lose a few seconds through the inclines on my 2nd trip to Rockledge Park (10.5-13.5 ish) Maintaining, even pick up a few seconds 8:54. Counting cadences most of the second half. Decline on the way back, but last mile was rough, but today was much better than planned. Goal maintain 9-9:09, overall 8:56. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1,233. Yesterday, I eventually did a chore that was going to be done today. Moving a bunch of firewood from where the electric company chopped off (wish they took it with them) to be hauled away today. Was only going to move a portion of it since there would be three people loading it Sunday. Well, moved all of it, should save some time today. In some pain before bed, yup, woke up pretty darn sore (shoulder and back). Coffee, Aleve, stretch, and out the door by 6:30. Started out a bit fast, would usually keep with it on one mile day, heck with it, stay comfortable, and backed off. Off to a baseball game today, I'm sure there will be beverages, Monday may be rough. ;)
This was week 7 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled mi 24 / completed 41 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 102 min
What type of strength training? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon? Haven't signed up yet, but in training mode for it. Will let you know when I'm registered. 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...