Monday, July 15, 2019

Weekly Running Report: July 14, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well! How's summer training going? Any recent races or training for one, which one?

I've been dong extra miles the past few weeks, and told myself way back that I would start adhering to the training plan this week, (this is cut back week between 16-18 long run weeks). The cut back came at a perfect time. A new pain this week, slight discomfort in my right hip and just overall heavy legs. We'll see if the cut back helps. Oh, and next week I'll be hiking around my running. That should go well. lol.. 

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday was rest day, and I did plenty of that! Went to the movies in the morning (Spider-Man Far From Home) and watched baseball in the afternoon. Hydrated plenty. Did have a couple drinks, but didn't over do it. In bed by 9:30. Up a few minutes before my alarm, but groggy. Coffee, work out, light stretch, and out the door by 6. First mile a bit faster than planned, but settled in. Faded a bit before the worst hills mid way. 8:27 before/8:33 after. Struggled to bring it back down after the hills, even lost a couple more seconds. Legs got a bit heaver as the inclines added up. At least it wasn't hot today! Light rain, slightly humid, but better than lately, I'll take it!
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Mon, catching up on rest, went to bed early with good intentions but tossed and turned for a bit. Slept in 20 min since it's "only" 1 mile day. A bit groggy, but not as much as usual. Coffee, workout, hydrate and out the door around 6:15. Hip a bit sore (most pain experienced when getting up from sitting, almost like someone punched me in the hip), but somewhat limber. Worked on breathing before taking off. Pushed it from the start. First alert too fast, backed off, couple alerts later a bit slower than preferred, resumed pushing it. Maintain around 7:30. Exerted, but not too uncomfortable.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tuesday, had happy hour dinner and drinks, and tried to get good night's rest. In bed early, but not quality sleep. Up just before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), hydrate, and out the door by 6. Got comfortable early and was happy with my pace.. till about midway. 8:17 before the hills, usually lose 5-7 seconds there. Maintained at 8:25 for a bit, but started to struggle to maintain. Quads got heavier as the hills added up. Happy with the pace, but disappointed that I went from comfortable to not.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. In bed by 9:15, tried sleeping in till 5:10. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and chest), hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:20. Worked on breathing beforehand. First couple minute alerts ahead of pace, first alert started with a 6! Tried to maintain at 7:15-20 for a bit, but lost it at the end. But happy overall considering the slight discomfort in my right hip.
Friday: 10 miles. (note I didn't say before work!). Busy weekend ahead, decided to take the day off from work. Did Saturday's run today! Tried sleeping in, but up by 5:30. Taking my time. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), hydrate, and over to my trail my 8. My trail . Park in the middle, (Welsh and Terwood Rd), did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Felt pretty decent. 8:25 most of the way, 8:31 at the height and turn around point. Able to regroup on the way back for a bit, back to 8:25. Eventually, the humidity caught up to me. Fueled at 5 mi mark, hydrated at my car at 5.3. Pace at 8:31. Took a break for a few before heading back out, probably a mistake to pause for so long. Off to the more wooded side towards Byberry Rd. Slowed, settled in at 8:40 for a bit. Small hill at the end. Faded again to 8:50. Thought about pushing it on the way back, but not much happening. lol... Still pleased with my pace, long run day try (key word try) to do 9-9:09.  But with the shorter long run day, a bit tempted to go a bit faster.
Saturday: 5 miles. Plans in a bit, flip flopped Fri/sat runs. Tried to sleep in a few minutes, up by 6. Coffee, hydrate, light stretch, and out the door around 7. Wasn't expecting much from today's run considering I did 10 yesterday, but gave it a try. First mile felt good, expected to slow down in the hills in mile 2. 8:12 ish after the hill. Again, figured I would slow down to 8:20, but pushed to maintain under 8:15. Exertion most of the way after the 1st, but not as much of a struggle after my hill as recent. Pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since I wasn't expecting much. 
Sunday: 3.11 miles. "Rest day", usually do one for the Run Streak. Run Streak day 1268. Up early, especially since I'm in a different time zone and haven't adjusted yet. Would of done my one and done, but had time to explore and enjoy the weather. 49 degrees out, yay! First mile was a bit fast, then I settled in. Air felt great, breathing was good. Saw a ton of rabbits today! All sorts of colors that I never see at home, will try to capture them over the next week! Settled in at 8:30, lost pace near the end, a bit of heavy legs, but more enjoying my surroundings. 
Sunday morning/afternoon: our first day of hiking in Alberta, Canada! Lake Louise, Mirror Lake, and Lake Agnes. 6 mile hike, 3 steep (1200 ft ascent) incline and back. Beautiful scenery! Balancing hiking and running should be interesting this coming week! Check my IG for more hiking pics! 
This was week 12 marathon training, using the below plan.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 27 mi / completed 32 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed  101 min
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...