Sunday, November 17, 2019

Weekly Running Report: November 17th, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? 


This was week 19 of 20 of marathon training for me for the the Philadelphia Marathon. One week to go! Will you be participating?


My Week in Training: 

Monday: 5 miles before work. Sunday, usually my rest day, was a little more active than usual. Did my streak day mile, 2 mile charity walk, and .5 hours of yard work. Eventually took it easy, had a couple beverages while watching football, was not ready for bed at 9 and decided to watch a 9pm show that I usually catch on demand (The Walking Dead). Up a few minutes past 10, (I know, so late.. lol ). Up before my alarm (4:50), but tired! Coffee, opened the basement door to outside to let some brisk air in, workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6. Goal(based on my tiredness): 8:20-8:30. First mile better than expected, sub 8. Settled in the 8:10's, but had a feeling that would fade. Felt the inclines, but hung in there. 8:15 after the worst hill midway. Felt like I would fade, but maintained. Added my extreme hill at 4.4mi, through it and hung in there till the end.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, made a point to get some rest. In bed by 9, up a few minutes before my alarm. Cold enough in my basement to not need fresh air to wake me up during my workout, kept that door closed! Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:20. Good thing today was streak day, had some delay's with my morning "routine". Goal 7:30. A little back pain, but able to do a comfortable 7:30. A couple fast pace alerts, but majority was within seconds of goal. Today's weather was wind chill 47 with rain. I usually add long sleeves as it approaches the 30's, added the layer for rain. Cool at first, but definitely hot towards the end and during my cool down.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Tues, in bed at a decent time, up at 3:30, and then up before my alarm. Could of used more sleep, but not that groggy. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6. A little chilly today! Yesterday morning was 48, but drastically dropping throughout the day, 20/wind chill of 12! Today, I wore tights. Brisk to start. Worked on breathing and cadences, lungs adjusting to the cool air! Faster than planned to start. Cadences and trying to warm up will do that I guess. :) Usually feel a little tight wearing tights, don't know how ppl wear them all the time. But managed sub 8 till mid way. May have had a decent start, but the inclines added up, and then my midway hill. After that, I conceded I wouldn't maintain 8 and aimed for 8:10.  Added my extreme hill at 4.4 mi for "fun", or should I say torture? lol
Miscellaneous: .75 hours yard work 
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's rest, up a few min before my alarm (which is set slightly later on 1 mi days). Coffee, workout (core and chest), and out the door by 6:15. Brisk, but not as bad as yesterday, no tights. Comfortable beforehand, but trying not to push it too much, goal 7:30. Started out comfortable and on target. At the end of the first street, beautiful sunrise. Could tell as I turned that I wouldn't see much more of it. Paused for a pic. Resumed and was comfortable, but next couple pace alerts had a drastic drop, so I picked it up. Pushed it harder than planned to maintain. Probably should of just relaxed.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu, in bed at a decent time, up before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6. Temps low 30's, more where it should be for November.. lol.. Worked on cadences before taking off. Felt good from the get go. Mid 7's longer than planned, faded slightly and eventually decided to try to hold it there. A few inclines and then my midway hill, still sub 8 after. Another hill and a few more inclines in the last hill but able to maintain at 8. There may be something to this tapering thing.
Saturday: 8.9 miles, we'll call it 9. Scheduled for 7? Fri, carb loaded, relaxed, and got a good night's rest, up before my alarm but waited it out. Coffee, stretch, taking my time. At my trail by 6:30. My Trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. The side to Byberry Rd is cut off midway due to a controlled hunt, did the side to Rockledge Park and back. Ran with a small group today, buddy I'll be doing the race with and another trail regular. We did a comfortable pace. Picked it a couple times to see where the other's comfort zone would be, closer to 9:30 (I was itching to go faster, but know I should be taking it easy). Trail midway to end to midway is 5.25, knew we would need to add 1.75 somewhere, at the Rockledge Park end, I talked them into going into the nearby neighborhood, nice steep hill :) to main street, down main street for a few minutes, turn around and back to the trail. Pacing around 9:20 on the way back. Comfortable today, felt good. Just before the end we bumped into another trail regular, they were going in the opposite direction for about .5 more. We turned around, picked up the pace :) (he's training to BQ next week) We b.s.'d for a bit and went a few more minutes than planned before turning around. Picked it up again to finish. Did an extra 2 miles, but felt good. Plenty of physical work to do this weekend, will be sure to take it easy after Sunday. 
Miscellaneous: 2.5 hours yard work 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1394. Up around 6, tried to sleep in later, but not happening. Coffee and taking my time. Reading the news (playing on internet), stretch my back out and out the door at 8. Comfortable 1 miler today, avg 7:40's but pulling back. 8 overall. 
Miscellaneous: 1 hour of yard work. Another round of raking since the wind brought more down since yesterday. Going to try not to do anymore after today until after my race. Not keeping up with the leaves will be drive my ocd crazy, but need to rest. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 21 miles / completed 26 miles
Miscellaneous cardio: 4.25 hours yard work. 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 118 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 19 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...