Sunday, March 15, 2020

Weekly Running Report: March 15, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Not too many races going on right now, understandably. Have you been affected by any cancellations? Still training? I had a race coming up at the end of March, Philly Love Run Half Marathon, but with everything closing for a couple weeks, was understandable that this one was cancelled. 


This was week 14 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Still on schedule at the moment and they are posting updates of any changes. Join me 04/25-26! (discount at bottom of post) :)


My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, was pretty sore in the morning from Saturday's 18 miler. Focused on rest and recovery. Hydrated well (not to be offset by any Sunday funday drinks), foam rolled, and used my Belifu TENS gadget. Sunday was also daylight savings change, made a point to try to go to bed early. In bed on time, only up once, 7 hrs sleep. Success. Up before my alarm and ready to go. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6. Concerned I'd be sore, but wasn't that bad. Settled in early and somewhat comfortable. Pacing a little quicker than expected but slowed down as the inclines added up. 8:15 before my worst hill, got through it and maintained. Added another hill at the end for fun. Comfortable today, not great, but not bad either, didn't want to over exert on a "recovery day" when I saw my pace was slowing down. Maintained comfort. TMI Sidenote: one thing that may be off due to the time change, morning routine! Done before heading out, but last few minutes of my run may have been a bit concerning, but nonissue. lol..  

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. No real issues yesterday with the time change. Last night, in bed on time and woke up just before my alarm, but groggy as heck! Felt like someone punched me! lol..  Coffee and work out (core and chest). Got my reps in, feeling better. Out the door by 6:30, not as sore today, going to push it a bit. Felt good, a couple alerts sub 7, but not there today. Felt pretty good overall though. And it was nice and warm, short sleeves today! 
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, decent rest, up before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch, and out the door by 6. Feeling better than Monday, for sure. Settled in 7:50, but the inclines got me a bit, 8:05, somehow got it back down to just under 8 before my midway hill. Maintained pretty well through the hill today. Picked up a few after, but faded in my last hill and incline. Still felt pretty good for 500 ft of hills, especially when I faded before I got there, thought it may be a little slower. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1 hr yard work. 
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Up before my alarm, but not feeling the excitement today. Started the day with a blah mood. Coffee and workout (core and chest), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:30. Told myself I may be in a blah mood, but I will at least apply some effort going into this. Started out feeling pretty decent. Sub 7 early and moving right along. Picked it up a bit more and even had a pace alert at 6:29! Hill at .6, couldn't sustain sub 6:40, but hung in there for a bit. Still a bit blah as I head into work, but work was fine, attitude readjusted early. Pretty decent day overall. 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, stayed up just a few min late, up before my alarm but waited it out. Workout (core and arms/shoulders) which was a bit tough but good, stretch my back out and out the door by 6. Knew there may be rain overnight, but may clear, nope, that changed, not clear for a couple more hours. No glasses, dressed slightly warm for the temp, backup headphones, and stayed with my primary shoe. Next up shoe will be ready for tomorrow if needed. Still a little sore, but pacing alright. Could feel the inclines, lost a few seconds, but was ok with that. Definitely wouldn't be holding onto  8 today. High 7:50's before my hill, low 8:00's after, could feel I may fade a bit more. Figured 8:15 ish, but maintained under 8:10. Rain, windy, one shoe submerged in a puddle early the other not much later. But had fun playing in the rain.
Saturday: 8 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! "Only" 8 miles today! With it being only 8 miles, could easily stray from Fri night routine, but I didn't. Got my gear ready, carb loaded, foam rolled, relaxed. Up maybe 15 minutes past my bed time, but no big deal. Up at my alarm, but taking my time. No real hurry today, but don't want to be too late either. At my trail by 7:15. Definitely a few less cars in the parking lot than normal. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more wooded side towards ByBerry Rd first. Settled in early at 8:15. End and back to mid point, pace still on point. Passed my car at 5.5, skipped hydrating. Off to the more incline side for about 1.3 and back. Turned around before Lorimer Park. Pacing may have been 8:17, worked on splitting the last mile. Pushed it a bit, wasn't easy, but 6:45 to bring the avg down to 8:03. Comfortable with a push at the end. Beautiful day at the trail. Started seeing a few more ppl before I left, parking lot almost full. Saw a few small groups, but could tell people were "social distancing". Someone coming towards me even joked that I was so far over I was almost in the woods. lol... 
Miscellaneous cardio: 2+ hours yard work. 
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1513. Hydrated after my run and yard work. Eventually offset by a drink or few. Stayed up past my bed time, almost midnight! Slept in today, 8:30! Coffee and taking my time. Stretch and out the door by 10. A bit sore from yesterday, but a decent start. First alert sub 7, but eventually slowed down to 7:15, even with a decline. Hill at .6, somehow picked it up from there on. Wasn't comfortable, got got the pace down to 7:03 for the mi. Will be restin remainder of the day. Hydrate, use my Belifu TENS gadget, and try to get a good night's rest for tomorrow's 7 miler. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 26 miles scheduled, 29 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 164 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 3+ hours yard work. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 14 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

03.29.2020 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon: Rescheduled to 10.10.20, wont be able to make the rescheduled date as I will be in Chicago, god willing. 

04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

05.03.2020 - Broad Street Run

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...