Sunday, June 28, 2020

Weekly Running Report: June 28, 2020

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Doing any virtual challenges, how'd they go? Doing any other outdoor activities to keep yourself busy?

I'm still doing the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee (for the foreseeable future), plus the 100k step challenge from the Philadelphia Marathon/Garmin Fitness (completed 06/27 at 226%!). Experiencing some over training aches/pains, but getting through it (for now). I keep saying that I'm going to take a rest day, but haven't had too many lately. Anyone else going through this? Virtual runs keeping you motivated and keeping you from your normal "rest" days?

Week 5 of 20 until Chicago Marathon. 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, ice bath, stretch, foam roll, iced my ankle/shin, did some extra walking for me for a Sunday, but didn't over do it. Rested enough for a "rest" day.  Hydrated somewhat, did offset with a couple beverages, but didn't over do it. End of weekend blues, stayed up a few minutes late (9:30), but still got a decent night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Humid, 95%! Some discomfort (ankle/shin) early, but manageable. Pace actually picked up for a little bit. Didn't last long, but felt like progress. Pacing: 8:20 before my midway hill, 8:30 after. Tried to keep it at 8:34, but gradually fading in the later hills to 8:45. Hills and humidity got me, but felt like a good start to the week. 
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Monday, shin throbbing at points, iced my ankle/shin, stretched, but still an issue most of the afternoon/evening. Slightly better this morning going down stairs, but could still feel it. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Discomfort early, going for a "comfortable" pace. 8:45 early, gradually fading to 9. Thought about skipping my later hills, but still did them. Humid, hills, and shin splints, and some overall soreness, wasn't exactly fun, but made the most of it. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 2 miles walking after work. I am especially tight after work, my spouse was going out for a walk, decided to accompany them. Need to stretch my legs out later in the day and felt like this really helped. Went from being tight after work to more comfortable.
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, foam rolled and stretched after my evening walk. My ankle/shin was not bad this morning. Some discomfort, but more manageable. Coffee, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. More manageable today. Some discomfort, but not bad. Humidity was kicking, drenched early. Yay summer, not! Pacing 8:30 before my hill, 8:45 after. Eventually faded to 9. But this wasn't as painful as previous days. Was more of a draining/and heavy leg day. Pace may not be where I want it, but happy the pain was more manageable. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 2 hrs general yard work. Unlike last night's walk, this did not help stretch things out. Was tight through most of it.
Thursday: 7 miles before work. Wed, did an ice bath after yard work, foam rolled, and stretched. Decent night's rest. Up before my alarm. Ankle/shin weren't bad going down stairs. Coffee, workout, and out the door by 6. Slow to start, but settled in and was somewhat comfortable. Some discomfort in the ankle/shin, but not bad. At some point, started having a pain in the top center of my foot. Not sure if it's due to a recent adjustment to my laces, but was a noticeable pain throughout. Was going to do 5 today, but felt good enough to add two more. Pacing: 8:30 to start, 8:45 after hills and faded slightly before the end. Weather was also more manageable today. Wasn't great, but felt better than yesterday, I'll take it! 
Thursday: part 2! 6 miles after work, 13 for the day. May or may not be able to get a "long" run in on Saturday, doing a two-fer today! Foam rolled and hydrated well throughout the day. At my trail by 4:45.  My trail Pennypack Creek, park at the Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the more shaded side to ByBerry Rd. Tired/slow from the start, doing a "comfortable" pace. Felt the heat throughout, pace faded slightly throughout as well. Usually try to neg on the way back, not happening today. Could of wrapped up with 5 mi, but somehow drug myself to keep going for a few minutes as I passed my car at 5.5. tired/drained, but glad I did it! Also remembering why I became a morning runner! 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, did an ice bath, very refreshing after that hot run! Hydrate, failed to foam roll/stretch. Participated in Thirsty Thurs, but behaved myself. Slow to get up at my alarm today! Coffee, slow workout, but got all my sets in, stretch, and out the door by 6. Slow to start. Some overall discomfort, but manageable. Settled in for a bit and then faded through the hills, and again in the later hills. A little tired, but no regrets over doing extra miles yesterday! 
Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, carb loaded, stretched, foam rolled, and a decent night's rest. Up a couple times thinking it was time to get up, nowhere close... lol.. Up just before my alarm. You guys set your alarm for long run day, right? Coffee, stretch, and at my trail shortly after 6. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. "Only" doing 10 today, so I will be doing each side of my trail once (and back). Will do the more open gradual incline side to Rockledge first. (If I were doing a section twice, I would do the shaded section first and third, doing the open side first to get the sun out of the way early). Slow to start. Ankle/Shin bothersome at first, even a bit of a limp. Loosened up a bit about 5 min in. Could still feel it, but no longer limping. lol.. Pacing gradually came down in the first couple, but wasn't exactly comfortable and pulled back. Fueled at 5 mi. Hydrated at my car at 5.5. Briefly thought about quitting, haven't had those thoughts at my car in a long time. Regrouped and head over to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Pacing picked up again briefly, but pulled back again to a comfortable pace. Feeling it and need to save my legs a bit in case I go hiking at some point this weekend. Glad I kept going to get my 10 in. My weekly miles are in, may get a few extra at some point if the weather cooperates. Was supposed to be going on a road trip for hiking, but scattered thunderstorms have us rethinking those plans.. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1+ hours of yard work. Pruning bushes that require a ladder. Storm warning in effect. Had to keep an eye out for major limbs coming down as the nearby trees swayed in the wind!
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Saturday, did an ice bath, foam rolled, and hydrated well. Hydration eventually offset with a few beverages. Stayed up slightly past my bed time, and even slept in a bit! 6:15! Felt so late, lol! Coffee and taking my time, but can't drag it out too long, have plans in a bit! Out the door by 7:45. Tired and warm. Kinda wanted to push it, but legs said no to that! Hiking in a bit and a possibly long run tomorrow, just went with the flow. Faded in the midway hill, and again in the later hills. The heat kinda made me wish I went earlier, but did I did enjoy that extra sleep!
Hike 1: Tank Hollow, outside of Jim Thorpe, Pa 3.4 miles. Rated easy, and it was!  1.7 miles Parking lot to vista. About a mile of packed gravel, that could be run, and then about a mile through the woods. Not too technical. But don't wear shoes you don't mind getting mud on! The majority of the trail in the woods was mud from water runoff. Plenty of rocks to keep an eye out for and some roots. Also recommend bringing bug spray! We did not and were surrounded by gnats throughout. One of the first comments on alltrails is to bring spray, 'doh! 
Full hiking pics on Facebook - definitely worth checking out! ;)
Hike 2: Shades of Death, outside of Lake Harmony, Pa, 1.5 miles (listed as 2mi on most sites?). Rated moderate, but this was fairly easy. It's behind the Lake Harmony visitor center. Not technical unless you go into the falls, as we did. ;) After the falls there is another short trail through the woods (shaded) to a small lake. Short hike to a small falls, small lake. Nice, but would recommend incorporating more into your day, but this would be great for a picnic or if you are into fishing!
Full hiking pics on Facebook - definitely worth checking out! ;)
Weekly Summary:
Miles:  57.78 miles (includes 1 walk / 2 hikes)
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 7.38 (05/01-current)  
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 156 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 5 of 20 until Chicago, loosely following the below, will adhere a bit closer in a few weeks. 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k". A good challenge for me. The daily/weekly/monthly average is just a bit beyond my training. My peak marathon training weeks barely meet it. Should be a good challenge to keep me ready till fall training. 

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...