Sunday, November 1, 2020

Weekly Running Report: November 1, 2020

 Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well! 

How's training going? Any races (IRL or virtual)?  How's weather been where you are? 

We had just a little rain here in the Pa area this week.. lol..  But it's been a bit crazy all over the place the past few days! 

Reminder, if you're just skimming my blog, lol..  reminder that I also have gear and race discount tabs/pages to check out as well. :) #BibRavePro

My Week in Training:

Monday: 11 miles. Day off from work, trail day, yay! Sun, did participate in SundayFunday beverages. Could of done better with hydration, but did make a point to foam roll. Slept in today, felt decent, but could probably used a little more. Up, coffee, and a good workout since I had time. Over to my trail a little after 9. Misty weather, packed a long sleeve shirt just in case. Glad I didn't wear it, was pretty warm. 
My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Started out towards the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park and back. New shoe day! Saucony Endorphin Shift! Love the Endorphin Pro's, but shouldn't use them as my primary, I mean I could, but would be burning through them. lol.. Felt good to start. But around mile 2 my legs started to get really heavy. Shin still hurts slightly, but calves were starting to burn! Pacing: started out at 8:15, but pulled back to 8:30, and kept pulling back to be more comfortable. TMI time: On the return from Rockledge.. uh oh..urge to use the restroom. Pretty sure I could of made it back to the midway parking lot, but then remembered I just passed an actual restroom. (3 portables along the way, but 1 actual restroom!). Stopped there. Probably helped with anxiety as well). back to the trail, midway parking lot. Fueled at 1 hr, hydrated at my car. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Legs eventually felt a bit better, but no real neg splits on the way back. Legs were more of a heavy than a burn like earlier. My trail is 10.5, set out to do 10, but going back and forth earlier added about .5, finished at 11 mi just before the midway parking lot. The weather was misty, no glasses, but temps were fine. A lot less people than usual, and the trail was beautiful. Rough "comfortable" pace, but loved being out there.
Miscellaneous cardio: 45 min yard work. 
Full pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. Monday, foam rolled, and in bed on time, a decent night's rest. Up just before my alarm, but swore it was still middle of the night.. Up, coffee, workout (much more awake and ready). Shin still a small issue, haven't been wearing a sleeve during running (mostly right after). Decided to go back to wearing one for a bit. Got going, could feel it, but not as bad as yesterday. Pacing: alerts were disabled! 'doh! Alright, pacing in my head now. Focus on foot strike, breathing, trying not to over do it, but not slack too much. Finding that balance. 1 mi, 7:58. Better than expected. But hills start around 1.2.. trying to not push too hard to be able to recover when I get to the top. Takes discipline. So many times I get to the top and want to rest. lol.. felt the hill overall pace, 8:07. Still better than expected. Now trying to maintain, 8:15 or under. Level, down hill, then another hill. and then one more. Overall 8:03. After how rough my calves felt yesterday, am pretty happy. Wasn't blazing fast for me, but wasn't just through the motions either. 
Wednesday: 6 miles. Tues, wore calve sleeves most of the day, iced my shin, foam rolled, and in bed on time. Decent night's rest. Up before my alarm, but waited it out a bit. Up, coffee, workout, stretch my shin out, hydrate, and out the door by 6. Shin a little stiff to start, and legs a bit heavy overall. Pacing started out 8:30, but got it down to single digits for a bit. Felt the inclines along the way, but hanging in there. Pace 8:10/8:17 before/after my worst hill. Expected to be a little slower for how I felt, but managing. Picked up a few seconds after leveling out. Originally set out to do 5 based on how I felt, but as I'm approaching 4, I'm rethinking it. And have to make up my mind soon as a few turns change around 4 for either route. Alright, going for 6. Still hanging in there. A decent incline late in 4 and steep hill in 5. Got through it all better than expected. Calves were feeling the hills, but hung in there. Speaking of hills, passed 80k feet elevation gain for the yr today! Love/hate relationship for sure. lol..     
Thursday: 3.11 miles. Wed, iced shins, foam rolled, and a decent night's rest. up before my alarm, but tired and waited to it. Up, coffee, workout, stretch my shin and back, and out the door by 6:10. Still a little sore, but not horrible. Trying to do at least one speed day week, didn't think I would get much, but going to give it a whirl. Step outside, rain! Hurricane remnants making it's way up here. Going to rain all day, but wind is a non issue. Work on breathing, and I take off! A little rough at first. small hill to start, catching my breath as it levels. 7:40's. Adjusting breathing and concentrating on foot strike. But gotta watch out for puddles and wet leaves. Pace alert that starts with a 6! Not reasonable, but nice to hear. Couple inclines. 7:08 for mi 1. But feeling the incline before the hill that starts at 1.2. Knew I'd be losing some time. Trying to power through but not over do it. Pace alert 7:33 as I get through it! Don't want to stress about it, try and focus. And try not to trip as there are glares on this road. 7:20 ish by mi 2. But two more hills to go. 3-4 minutes up, down a few and up again. A little winded. 7:21 overall. My top 5, for being sore, weather, etc, I'll take it!  
Friday: 5 miles. Thu, participated in Thirsty Thurs, but behaved. Foam roll, and a good night's rest. Up early, wide awake, didn't bother waiting for the alarm. Up, coffee, got a good workout in. Probably the best of the week. Out the door by 6. Guess what? Still raining! All day yesterday, through this morning. Cooler (with wind chill 39). Only wore my glasses once this week so far. Lol.. Off and going. Trying for a comfortable pace, 8:30. A little sore, but felt better from the start. Light rain, heavy at times for a bit. Didn't add any layers, hands were cold! Pacing sub 8 for 1, inclines adding up. Avg 8:10 by mi 3, worst hill starting here. Lost about 10 seconds per usual. Usually happy with trying to maintain from here on, but was able to pick it up again as it leveled out.  Couple smaller hills before the end. 8:14 overall. Was tempted to go further, but Fri before long run day calls for 4-5. Sticking to at least that part of the plan. 
Saturday: 11 miles. "Long" run day, trail day, yay! Fri, carb loaded, foam rolled, iced shins, relaxed, and in bed on time. A decent night's rest. up before my alarm. Coffee, "routine".. which took a few minutes longer than usual. Out the door by 6:10, 'doh! frost on my car. Should of expected that.. A bit brisk this morning. 29 degrees. Over to my trail by 6:20. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park and back first. Pitch dark to start. Headlamp time. Pacing: a little overall soreness. Started in 8:30, but pulling back to 8:45-9 to be comfortable for long run day. Peaceful out. Didn't see anyone for a while. With the headlamp occasionally see wildlife's eye's, not today, until I saw a pair a bit lower to the ground. Just a house cat, watching me go by. On the way back from Rockledge, starting to see daylight, saw the cat again. Pulled over to say hi and take a pic, but it backed away. Resuming. Hydrated at my car around 5.5. Saw one of my friends, but we're going in seperate directions/distances/paces. but good to catch up for a sec.  off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Pacing staying steady. Not much of a push there to split. But enjoying the views. Both sides of the trail have great views, but prefer this side for the second half in full daylight. Saw my speedy friend just before finishing, great catching up with them as well. Would of gone further today, but a full day of chores and plans to keep me busy, don't want to be too drained later.. I'm sure I'll be sore from chores anyway. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 2.25 hrs yard work. All that rain this week, plenty of leaves. And that was just my back yard.
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Usually adhere to 1 for rest day, but between my year end goal, a bibrave team challenge, and will be doing chores anyway, won't be much of a rest day. Sat, hydrated a bit, epsom bath, foam rolled. Halloween night, did have a beverage or two, but well behaved. Trying to sleep in today, with daylight savings was still up by 5:30. Coffee and taking my time. Stretch my back out, and out the door by 7. Trying to take it easy. Pacing started around 7:45, but gradually pulled back. 8:10 after my fav hill. Maintained rest of the way. Didn't push it much. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 2 hrs of yardwork. Raking and then mowing. Wasn't as bad as yesterday was. Woke up with back, shoulder and hand pain. Lol 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 42.5 miles completed 
Strength Training: Goal 150 minutes, 164 minutes completed. What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Hydration Goal: 5
Foam Roll:  5
Miscellaneous Cardio:  4.75 hrs yard work
Training Plan: Not on a plan at the moment, but use the below:
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: (and year end goal)

Calendar is clear till next year! But.. I did set a new goal for year end. Over the summer, during #GVRAT1000k, I saw that I was on pace for my first 2k year. But as #GVRAT1000k ended, I started to take (and needed) rest days. Followed my marathon training plan to a T. Fell behind a bit for 2k. After my marathon, saw that if I had a decent Oct, I could get back on target. Tried not to force the issue (too much) and now I'm back on target.  
As of 11/01: 286 miles to go. 

Do you have any more races this year? Or year end goals?

Be sure to check out my Race and Gear discount pages. #BibRavePro ;)

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on BibRave.com! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run! #BibChat Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...