Sunday, September 18, 2016

Rock N Roll Philadelphia 2016, my first half marathon!


Hi Everyone!

Backlogging.. Wish I was writing/blogging back then for this one. This was my first half, will forever be near and dear to me!

In June '16, I did my first 10k race, went way better than I expected and had me hungry for more! Had me looking for a longer race, a place to train, and to go on an actual training plan!

Once I found this race, I found a training program, and then I found my trail! If you follow me, you will hopefully see at least one pic a week from Pennypack Creek. I love it there! Wish it didn't take me so long to discover my love for trails, and it's only 15 minutes from where I live!

Below is the training program I found and have used several times. One of the reasons I wish i was blogging back then, I'm not sure if it was the constant humidity, or just that it was my first time going each long run's distance, but every long was a challenge!   

To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
Pre-Race: 
Expo: this was my first expo, it was pretty cool to see all the gear and race vendors! Only set back is not everyone can get back and forth to the city mult days in a row. It was exciting, not sure if I would choose expo over mailing option if it was available.

Parking: public transportation is strongly encouraged for expo and race day. Parking near the expo is tough to find. On race day, there is a pay lot a few blocks away. Please send me a message if you need the location. I would post it, but don't want it to go viral and get over packed.

Race day!
About 17000 runners, my biggest participant race to that date!
Like many Philly races, the race starts/ends by the museum. The first 3-4 miles are through the city, returns and heads past boathouse row. This is where I learn Philly isn't as flat as I thought. A minimal incline for a few miles. Seems minimal, but starts to add up. Turn around point is up a bridge, across the Schuylkill River and back. Issue with ending at the museum, one last hill!

Music: DJ to start. Live bands throughout, a couple marching bands. Music was cool, but expected a a few more bands along the way.
Aid: plenty of water/gatorade along the way. Water, pretzel, bananas after, and a few other vendors with free health snacks/drinks

Swag: Will forever rock the florescent tech tee with pride! The pic doesn't do it any justice, the color is very bright!
This medal has some thickness to it, it's a heavy medal!
Exhausted, but worth the 14 week training plan! My standard long run before this was 6 ish. I have continued to work on my long run base since then, wouldn't be be a marathon runner without it! Also discovered my love for trails!
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...