Sunday, April 7, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 16 - Weekly Running Update: April 7, 2019

Hi Everyone! Happy Sunday!

Hope everyone is doing well! Any recent races or training for one? Which ones?

This week was following the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon. Review, here. Had another race this week! The the Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia! But of course, had to get my marathon miles in as well! 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 6 miles before work. Let's just say this was a rough one. Not taking a rest day after a half marathon to get my marathon miles in early this week to rest for another race this weekend. Was in bed by 10 (up late to watch The Walking Dead season finale!). Was up before my alarm, before 4:30. Slowly went down the stairs, feeling it, cracking and sore. Coffee, work out, hydrate, ready before 6. Warm temps over the weekend, not the case today. Wind chill 15! Starting out, slightly ahead of goal pace, but settled in at 8:30. Usually comfortable, but sore and heavy legs today. Did my normal hills, but thought about avoiding them. lol..
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Monday, took it easy after work. hydrate plenty and was sure to foam roll before bed. Decent night's sleep. Up a few min before my alarm, but stayed there until it went off. lol.. Going down stairs not as painful, a good sign. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door at 6. Felt better than yesterday immediately. Was going to pace at 8:30, but was comfortable at 8:20. Faded slightly through some of the hills, but recovered. Much better today. Will be wearing my compression socks to work. and hydrating plenty. Just one more run until I can take it easy until Saturday..
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Decent night's sleep, up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6. Slightly skeptical that this would feel as good as yesterday. Settled in around 8:20. Zig zag the streets, slight inclines one way. 8:25 before the worst hill (good incline for .5 mi) around mid way, 8:30 after. Maintained there. I recently added another extreme hill, short/straight up, no one would do this one for fun. Already feeling the inclines, did it anyway. Still at 8:30. maintained there to the very last minute of my run. As I stopped at 1 hr, 8:31. That .01 shouldn't bother me, but since it came as a surprise... 
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Excellent night's sleep. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:10. 1 mile day. Mindset stuck between wanting to take it easy and wanting to push a little bit. Worked on cadences beforehand. Pacing: orig wanted to do a relaxed 8 min. 1st alert just below 8. Pushed a little harder to maintain, next alert was 7:40. Alright, now I'm thinking 7:45.. last few min in the 30's, guess I'll push to maintain. lol..
Friday: 1 mile before work. Up slightly later than normal on Thurs. 10 pm, I know, so late! lol.. Up a few min before my alarm, but taking my time. Coffee, light work out. (some core and weights, skipped leg raises and bridge thrusts). Stretch and out the door by 6:10. Trying to take it a bit easier than yesterday. Chilly with a bit of a drizzle felt good. Was tired, groggy this morning, but the weather helped. One of my toes has been bothering me this week, quads were heavy Monday, slightly better, but not fresh yet. We'll see how tomorrow's race goes. :) Either way, will make the most of it. It was my choice to not rest after Sunday's half to get my marathon miles in early this week.. No regrets.  
Saturday: 9.33 miles (scheduled for 10?, don't worry, I made up that .7 somewhere..) Race day! Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia! Sorry, no race day details.. Keeping you in suspense, right? Race day will be in a separate post.
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,170. Slept in till 6. Taking my time getting ready. Coffee, stretch, and out the door around 8. Quads slightly heavy. Planned on a casual 1 miler. Felt good. First alert in the 7:30's. Wanted to back off a bit, worked on cadences, but didn't over exert. Beautiful weather today, slight breeze. Should take it easy remainder of the day, but going to do yard work since it's so nice out. Spring yard work cleanup! Blah!
This was week 16 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 29 mi / completed 30 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 82 min
Foam roll: 7 days 
Hydration goal met: 7 days   


Race Schedule 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...