Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week Ending 10/01

Hi Felllow runners!

How's everyone's training going?



My week in running: 

Monday: 5 miles at my trail. (Pennypack Creek, Huntingdon Valley, Pa)




In previous posts I mentioned my trail has at least 7 scenic bridges, am thinking now there may be 10. Stopped at bridge number 7 for pics. The pic doesn't do this one justice. This is the only bridge on my trail that has a decent drop, creek/road are about 30 ft below. The picture to the bottom left has a ball that's the size of a basketball. 




Tuesday: 5k before work. Had plans immediately after work. Set the alarm to get a few in. Rough waking up, but felt good. 
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Had issues sleeping. Got up before the alarm. A bit sluggish, but glad to to get it in.
Thursday: 5 miles at the trail.

Bridge 8: 



Friday: Friyay5k! Happy Friday! 5k around the neighborhood after work. 


Saturday: 16 miles! New personal longest run! Set the alarm for 5, woke up 5 min before that. Got up, coffee, work for a few minutes, light breakfast. Got to the trail just after 7. My trail is 10.5 mi, park in the middle. Did the gradual incline side first. Did that and on my way back, bumped into my wifes cousin Dave, who's training for a mudder. I let him know the pace i wanted to go, he backed off for me, but still a few seconds faster than my goal. I don't normally run with others, but was good conversation, and the pace didn't have me grasping for air. Passed the mid point, passed the opportunity to hydrate. To the other side. Kept telling Dave he could take off, didnt want to hold him back, to the other side of the trail and he did. Understandable. Lost track of time, didn't fuel where i wanted to, had a Gu gel at the side of the trail. Passed my car again, should of had water out, failure on my part, kept going. Did the other side and back to complete the 16 miler. Weather was good. Felt decent, definitely feel things tightening up afterwards. Water, should stretch, hopefully I take that advice. 


Sunday: rest day, one for the streak! streak day 617. Woke up a bit sore from yesterday's long run. Stretched hydrated. The streak mile felt fine. Legs did feel a bit tired later in the morning when running errands. 



September goals:


  • Taper for races first two weeks of the month, try to rest on rest days, sometimes that's easier said than done. Update: Done. Race reviews can be found here. Monthly mileage was down for a bit after tapering, that 16 miler at the end helped get it back up, 133 for the month. 

October goals: 
  • Taper for the Army Ten miler.
  • Resume long run training for the Philadelphia Marathon!
  • Taper for the RW 5k, get the long run in the following day. 

Upcoming races:


  • 10/08/17 - Army Ten Miler!, (Pentagon, Washington DC) #RunArmyRunStrong. My buddy from college went on to the Army after graduation and lives outside of DC. Has been ragging on me to come down there for a run for a while. This is the 3rd largest 10 miler in the country. I doubt it's as flat as the Broad Street Run, but I'm sure it will be a good time.
  • 10/21/17 - Runners World 5k, (Bethlehem, Pa): A festival of running?! Don't think I wanted to sign up for the half being so close to the Army Ten Miler, but really wanted to check out the festival. Got some buddies doing the 5k, can't wait!
  • 11/19/17 - Philadelphia Marathon, my first full! Track my training updates here.
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here: Race review: #LoveRunPhilly

Can't go, but would love to (sched conflicts (you may see a theme ))
  • 10/07 Troegs Hop Dash 5k (Pa brewery in Hershey)
  • 10/08 Yuengling Logger Jogger 5k (Pa brewery in Pottsville)
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G


Good luck to everyone with their training, keep kicking butt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...