Saturday, December 23, 2017

Weekly Running: December 24th, 2017

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season! Everyone getting their workouts and runs in during all the madness?

My week in running:

Monday: 5+ miles (45 min run). I had the day off. My last vacation day of the year. :(  Trail day! (Pennypack Creek) I packed by yaktrax. When I got to the trail, the parking lot and trail seemed to be clear of snow. Well, that was a lie! It's been sunny since Sat, but snow/ice along most of the trail. I should have worn them, was nervous/careful the entire way. Landing felt fine, but on launch I could feel some slippage. Despite the conditions, the pace felt good, definitely better than this past Saturday!


The water was a bit more active today with the snow melting: 
Tuesday: 4 miles after work. Temps today were a bit high, close to 60! Was 50 when I went out! If it was still daylight, I would have gone with short sleeves, in December! Overall, today felt pretty decent.
I only see daylight for a few minutes after work, but I do appreciate it.

Wednesday: 3.11 miles. My work from home day, lunch run!  The temp was 38, not bad. But prior to going out, I was feeling kind of cold. So I wore a t-shirt over my long sleeve. Well, it got warm quick. Ditched the gloves early. Run felt good, just a bit warmer than I was expecting.
Thursday: 4 miles. Tired after a long day at work. Definitely wasn't feeling it beforehand. But once I got going, it felt much better than expected.

Friday: 4.5+ miles (40 min) after work. Mild temps were nice. Some slight soreness in the shins, etc. Will hydrate, hopefully stretch as well.

Saturday: 7 miles at the trail. I saw in the forecast that there may be some rain. Woke up at my normal time, and yup, there was rain. Saw there may be a break in the rain from 8-10. Had my coffee, light breakfast, water. Took my time getting to the trail, was there by 7:45. I was the only car in the parking lot! Usually packed by this time! The rain was misty at first and cleared up most of the way. I dressed warm, backup shoes, headphones, no glasses just in case. Being the only one there most of the way was nice! I fueled at the 50 min mark, even though I was only going a bit more, but wanted to stay in routine. My quads were feeling it a bit towards the end, but happy overall. I did see a few more people towards the end. 

Sunday: 1 mile. rest day, one for the streak. streak day 701. Posting the blog a day early. Have to hit the road for an early holiday party. I promise to run and add pics. ;)  update: I ran as promised! Off to party soon, have a happy and safe one!




This was week 1 of half marathon training for the Philadelphia Love Run, aka #LoveRunPhilly. Am using the below training program: 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
December goals:
  • Have fun! No race training for a few more weeks, enjoy the trail when you can and do whatever I want! Update: calculated days till race day. 14 week training plan started 12/17! 
  • 135 miles. No way I'll get 1700 miles for the year, but 1650 may be doable. 

Future races registered for/considering:
  • 03/24/18 - Phillies 5k. Have never done races back to back, already registered for the Love Run, but would hate to miss the Phillies 5k. "Free" baseball tickets!  2017 review here!
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here. 
  • 04/07/18 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k!! (15k) Join me using code “BRHCPHILLY18” to score a BONUS Hot Chocolate branded cap!  
https://www.hotchocolate15k.com/philadelphia
  • May, 2018. (Date TBD) Broad Street Run!  Assuming I win the lottery! My 2017 review here. 

What is everyone currently training for? Signed up for a race? New to running, or maintaining until a race peaks interest? Whatever it is, good luck to everyone with their training, keep kicking butt!!


If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...