Sunday, January 21, 2018

Weekly Running Update: January 21st, 2018.


Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is doing well!


My week in training: 


Monday: 5.38 mi (45 min). Day off work, trail day (Pennypack Creek)! I underestimated how cold it would be, should of packed my balaclava. 'Doh! The conditions were fine, but the gravel was solid due to the temps. Saw a fox along the way! But it didn't stop for a photo op. :(



Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. The morning started out with some flurries, I instantly regretted not waking up early to run before work. The flurries cleared up. No snow for the day, still clear after work. Run felt good overall. In addition to running, also do strength training Tue/Thu. Crunches, planks (love/hate relationship with planks, mostly hate), curls, tricep extensions, and pushups.  

Wednesday: 4 miles. Work from home day, lunch run! We had a bit of snow overnight, but not as bad as expected. (2-4, wash changed to 1-2 and was barely 1). Roads weren't that bad, but wore the yaktrax just in case. could definitely feel the extra effort today. 
Thursday: 3.11 mi after work. Snow/Ice melted from the streets. No need for yaktrax. A bit tight to start, but felt good overall. The first mile zigzags through my neighborhood, second loops around a busy road, third partially busy road/neighborhood. The third mile had plenty of ice! Didn't expect it, would have taken another route, for the most part, ran on people's lawns if they had ice on their sidewalks. Tried to keep cussing to a minimum. 



Friday: 4.83 miles. (40 min) after work. Weather was a non issue. Not used to going for time instead of distance, adjusted my route a couple times, decent hills, but felt good. 



Saturday: long run day! 10 miles.  I had plans and was instructed to be done running and ready to leave by 10:30. So I set my alarm. Well, woke up early and couldn't fall back to sleep, running and plans on my mind. Up early. Worked for a few minutes, light breakfast. At the trail just after 7. Temps going up today, but not yet. Chilly, but not an issue. Didnt think snow would be either. There were some patches of snow/ice still. Not an issue, but had to pay attention. The first half went well, fueled at 50 min. Did eventually feel sluggish, that lack of sleep may have hit me, but maintained my desired pace for the day. 
Sunday: rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 729. Ready to step out, realized my gloves were in the dryer downstairs. Oh, it's going to be nice out, forget getting them. Well, my hands stung a good portion. 'Doh! 

Plenty to do today after the run since I had plans yesterday. Since winter started, remainder of the leaves have fallen. Nice out today, snow is gone (for now), round of yard work to do. Blah. I try to truly rest on Sundays, but not today. 
This was week 5 of half marathon training for the Philadelphia Love Run, aka #LoveRunPhilly. Right after the Love Run is the Hot Chocolate 15k, #hc15k! Am using the below training program. If you're doing the #hc15k, they provide a training program as well! 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
Future races registered for:
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here. 
  • 04/07/18 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k!! (15k) Join me using code “BRHCPHILLY18” to score a BONUS Hot Chocolate branded cap!  
  • https://www.hotchocolate15k.com/philadelphia
    Check out my Hot Chocolate 15k post here! 
  • 05/06/18 - Broad Street Run!  Assuming I win the lottery! My 2017 review here. 


Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G







2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thx Dave, appreciate it! Good luck with your training as well! 🏃‍♂️💪

      Delete

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...